Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-11, 07:32 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Carolina Electric Boat

Does anyone have experience with this boat? I currently have a 18' fish and ski from which I do most of my bass fishing. But I love to fish in the slop and thick stuff. This little boat looks like it would be great for those situations where you want to get into the lily pad fields, treetops, submerged stump fields, etc. I am tired of fighting my boat thru standing timber and banging the troller into submerged structure. I rarely fish deep... spend most of my time in under 10 feet of water... narrow, thick coves, etc.

Thinking pretty serious about getting one of these this spring. Would love to talk with someone who actually owns one.....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 09:04 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If at all possible, post a picture and some specs for us. We (meaning me in paticurlar) aren't too keen on what this rig looks like. thanks for joining up man. this is the best site on the web when it comes to fishing. lotta joking around, but we are serious about our sport. welcome!
Old 01-06-11, 09:27 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well looks like a 2 man rubbermaid craft of yesteryear,well suited to small ponds,but tad short on space,they can stilll be had used out there when found for about 100 bucks,without the motor,generally use a standard type troller.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast08twintroller.html
Onboard livewell is rather small better used for tackle than 11 in fish.And clearance between the toons isnt so much one can hop stumps.
In Iowa you wont have the problem we father south have with being in the pads with low sides the cottonmouths like to sunthemselves a bit to close for comfort,in my 20 ft allison they tend to climb in the splashwell then try the back deck.And generally have an attitude when made to vacate.
Ps I love pads

Last edited by lilmule; 01-06-11 at 09:38 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 11:44 PM   #4
walkeraviator

I have been eyeballing twin trollers for about 2 years now. I want one really bad for teh smaller lakes that i frequent. Watch the videos... this thing flies through the water. The price tag is very steep.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 10:09 AM   #5
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your thoughts and insight guys..... here is my situation. I have a 1989 Astro Fish & Ski boat with 150hp Mercury. I got this boat from my father who purchased it new. The boat is in excellent shape,... he did not put 50 hours on it... always winterized it and kept it in the garage. He offered to give it to me 2 years ago after I kept trying to buy it off from him knowing he was not using it. I have used it once or twice a week during the summers since then. The boat should be worth around $4,000 ( +/- $500 ).....

I have $4,000 cash saved to put into some type of boat this spring. As I mentioned at the start of this post that I fish 90% in shallow water under 10ft. All the lakes I fish here in Iowa are NO wake lakes.... so having a large engine is not necessary. In fact, the lake I like to fish the most has a strict 10hp limit in the summer... so I have to use my trolling motor at all times which is a huge hassle. Several other small lakes that have great bass fishing are also electric motor only lakes.

Thought about maybe selling my boat and getting say a Lowe Skorpion with a 9.9hp outboard. This would allow me to move around my favorite lake better, but still would not gain me much in the way of getting back into the tight timbered coves and slop.

Any other thoughts or experience is appreciated....

This is a great site.... glad I found it. Looking forward to spending more time on here.

Thanks guys!!!!
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:23 PM   #6
walkeraviator

I would go the skorpion route if it were me. Simply for the added deck space and ability to take along a friend without feeling cramped. You can actually stand in the skorpion. Although you may want to consider some straight up Jon Boats with tiller outboard to save some money.

As for gettin into the slop, the twin troller may be your best option. If it is shallow water you are concerned about... look into Gheenoe.

Just check out all options befor eyou pull teh trigger.
Old 03-10-11, 11:21 PM   #7
Donbrennan
BassFishin.Com Member

I am looking at getting a Skorpion with a 9.9. Question is it enough hp for the boat?
Donbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 09:23 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

That is pretty cool. I could see some grass being sucked in the grates to stop the boat.

I have two Gheenoe's and they handle swamps very well. And you can pushpole them too.

But they are heavy and if travling alot a trailer is advised.

But it is way above a tadpole..

Capt Mike
Old 03-12-11, 01:53 AM   #9
walkeraviator

I envy you... I want a Super 16 Gheenoe real bad.
Old 03-13-11, 03:06 PM   #10
Bender

I have a 10' Bass Tender. While it doesn't have the integrated motors it it probably fished about the same. It is pretty cramped for space but on small lakes/ponds it is great. I can toss it in the back of my truck and be on about any water in minutes. The downside is that it doesn't handle wind well at all. I have a 30# transom mount trolling motor on it and it moves pretty well, I bet those twin 36# motors would make it really scoot. Being plastic (resin) you don't care at all about hitting stuff. I see that one has a small rudder which should help because mine doesn't and it doesn't track well in the water.
I bought mine used for $400 and added the motor. I can get into some pretty nasty stuff with it and just tilt the motor up to get through or use a paddle to push through. I got the boat just to get on smaller water since a lot of places I can't launch my bass boat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.