Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-11, 12:12 AM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talking My boat is water ready!!!!

I pick up my boat tomorrow from BPS. The engine is fixed and purring like a kitten. It only cost me $300. They had to take apart the carb and clean it and fix a lower end oil leak.

The boat is not completely decked out the way I want just yet for fishing but I have the peace of mind that I will have a very reliable boat and engine when out on the Alabama river. I am so pumped that I am taking a half work day tomorrow just to get out on the water early. The last time I drove a boat, I was 17. I have a check list going so I don't forget some things until they become second nature. Registration, license (fishing and boating), all the safety gear on the boat, hull plug, extra key on float, etc....

Fishing-wise, I still have to properly mount the trolling motor on the front, install running lights for night fishing, install a switch board, buy a new trolling motor battery, build a livewell using a cooler, pump, and aerator, and repair the front hatch. A lot of that work will be completed on Sunday. I would have done most of it Saturday but my parents made a surprise visit to Birmingham and I am driving up from Prattville on Saturday to see them. They don't visit often so I want to see them but I am making them take me to dinner since I am missing being out on my "new" boat with such beautiful weather this weekend.

Any, and I do mean ANY, advice you guys can give me with my new boat would be greatly appreciated. I plan on making several attempts at putting the boat on and off the trailer (if there are any people around that need to put their boat in the water) just to get the hang of it.

Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 04:40 AM   #2
walkeraviator

I got some advice... give it to me...lol
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:25 AM   #3
nobass

i would mount boat guides on side of trailer make it eaiser to load
Old 03-18-11, 07:12 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
i would mount boat guides on side of trailer make it eaiser to load
That was my first thought too. They help tremendously when trying to load the boat at the end of the day in windy conditions. Make sure your drain plug is in place before launching the boat too! I've made that mistake a couple times. haha
Old 03-18-11, 07:36 AM   #5
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here are a couple of things i have picked up on. If you are towing your boat with a pickup when backing up the boat drop the tailgate. Much easier to guide boat unless you are good at using your mirrors.
Also i tie a longer rope to the boat and to the truck and just back her down let her slide off the trailer into the water. Get out untie the rope from the truck tie up the boat and go park the truck.
These are just a couple of things i have learned. The rope thing really makes a difference when you fish alone as it speeds up the amount of time it takes you to unload boat. Normally i put in at a one ramp area and if people waiting this helps.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 08:09 AM   #6
lilmule

Yes trailer guides easier to load,most places like bass pro have clamp on,as for lighting its size and use bet you could do with clamp on their as well.
Learn how to launch and what one must do like put in plug and never let anyone help you,while doing your checklist.
You could also just use inline fuses like for a radio on what lil electrics you would have,versus a switchboard.Emergency paddle,rope,throwable,whistle or horn,letting someone know where you are going and when .That reminds me a lot of my first boat a 14 ft thundercraft.
Happy boating
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 05:14 PM   #7
bamabassman

add another for the guides pal. but other than that it sounds like oyu have a plan of action and jsut need to "git er done". lol. post pics of it man. lots of em so we can see everything oyu have done to her.
Old 03-18-11, 06:33 PM   #8
woody

..try not to get in a hurry, take your time and have fun.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 01:27 AM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Yeah. I figured boat guides would help with backing it up when the boat is not on the trailer. Putting the tailgate down won't help since I have a bedcover on my truck now. Most of my fishing will be by myself since I love my alone time since my divorce.

I took out the boat today and it runs fine except that I can only go about 10 mph on a 50 HP engine. The carburetor is clean and the lower end unit oil was changed and the leak repaired. I think either the throttle cable needs adjusting or it needs to be trimmed or a bit of both. I will try to trim it Sun morning when I go fishing. It doesn't have an electric trim so I have to manually do it. If it is the throttle cable, I will need help since I am completely ignorant around engines.

I was however, able to back it in the water no problem, dock the boat, and park the truck and trailer without any help and not taking too long. The ramp I was using was three lanes wide so I had plenty of room if I needed it. I didn't though so I am proud of that.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely take my time because when I go fishing I am never in a rush and there is no reason to hurry up and get out on the water. It is not like the fish are going anywhere.
Old 03-19-11, 08:43 AM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

No advice for you pal, since I fish out of plastic haha.
But just hearing you getting ready, makes me really happy for you.
Can't wait to see some pics of all the bass you'll be catching!
Old 03-19-11, 08:11 PM   #11
keithdog

Here is the roller guides I have on my trailer. They are the delux guides from Cabelas. I first bought the guides from BPS but they were awfull. These are really great and sturdy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s7_018953_999_01.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	6405  
Old 03-20-11, 03:22 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Tried trimming the engine up and down and it still only goes 10 mph +/- 2 mph. I think the throttle cable is loose since the mechanic at BPS said that the engine ran fine with max rpm's before I picked it up. I have no clue as to adjust the throttle cable so I'll be taking it back to BPS for them to put in the water and fix it. I am pretty sure this is a very simple fix so any help you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. I can take a pic of the engine if that will help.
Old 03-20-11, 04:53 PM   #13
Bender

First, I would go through the safety checklist: http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/boating/safetychecklist.cfm (I need to do that myself)
And make sure you have at least these items on board at a minimum: http://www.outdooralabama.com/boating/equipment.cfm

It's great fun driving a boat around but make sure you also know the water and know where any hazards are. Not long after I got my first boat I was driving around my lake having a grand time until I ran up on a rock pile that was 6" under the surface. It wasn't much fun to get out and push it off then use the trolling motor to get back to the ramp. Look at any maps you can find and if you are not familiar with an area go slow.

I would imagine with a 50HP on that boat you should be able to go around 30 MPH at least. If it were me, I would pull the cowl off the motor and find where the throttle cable attaches. It should be easy to find since it is probably on the side, I don't know that motor at all. Push the throttle all the way forward and then go back to the motor and see if you can move the actual throttle any more easily by hand. Do this with the motor off and in your driveway. As far as adjusting it I'm not sure on that motor.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:18 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Everyone is already giving you sound advice so I will just say congrats on getting the boat out and I hope you get to spend a lot of time in her this summer.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 02:20 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

Well I oppened up the engine in the driveway. Gave the engine throttle and looked at what wires were moving. I have no clue as to whether I can move the throttle wire more. I think I have tried on the engine but there are several things that "engage" when the throttle is moved. I have tried moving each by hand but none budge. Even when the throttle handle is half way. I can even move the wire the rest of the way. I also don't see a way to tighten or loosen the throttle wire. This sucks because it is likely something super easy and I am going to have to pay someone $100 bucks to look at it and fix the problem.
Old 03-22-11, 07:53 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

I fixed my engine!!!! Let me say that I am not mechanically inclined at all. But I am smart. I have a college degree and I am a Professional Engineer. By goodness, I should be able to figure out a "simple" throttle issue with my boat.

I got home today and opened up the engine cover again. I sat there and stared at it for at least 15 to 20 minutes. I studied it. I put the throttle down and watched all the parts that were engaged when the throttle was pressed. I watched each an every piece as I moved the throttle up and down. I noticed one piece that was not moving all the way down. I thought it had to or else why would they make the piece that big. My arms were long enough to throttle the lever and hold the piece more straight (since it appeared to be a bit loose). Sure enough, the piece when way past where it was going before. When I didn't hold it perfectly straight, it would moved slightly sideways and then go down. But it would get caught on a small rivet on another piece. When held straight, it would miss the rivet and go all the way down.

I got a wrench and tightened the piece so it moved straight up and down without any wiggling to the side. I was able to use the throttle level and it when all the way down without my holding it.

I put the cover back on, hooked it up to the truck, and hit the river. Instead of going a whopping 8 to 10 mph, I am now going 28 to 30 mph. I need to work on the trim a bit and I should be able to get another 5 mph out of it.

I am so happy now. Especially since I did it myself and didn't have to pay anyone.
Old 03-22-11, 08:12 PM   #17
bcklash

Pay us with pictures of nice fish this summer. Good job.
Old 03-22-11, 08:14 PM   #18
MIbasser

Nice job FnG!! Speed is nice.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:20 PM   #19
bamabassman

dangit man........now ya gonna be FLYING up and down the river making all kinds of wakes and such. gona have to carry my shotgun to keep ya off me. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

kidding of course f&g. that is great oyu figured it out man. no telling how long or how much a mechanic would've charged ya.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.