Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-11, 09:23 PM   #1
nitromike
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Towing question guys

I have a 2001 dodge Dakota Quad Cab.
It has a 4.7L v8 and it sets kind of low in the back it looks like the
leaf springs are a little flattened out.

When pulling my boat it sets a little low and all i got is a 2" ball on the bumper no tow package.

And i am getting ready to buy a 1977 16 or 17 foot camper that has dual axles on it. It seams it is pretty heavy but i have not hooked it up to my truck yet.

The question is will this truck pull the camper ok in your opinions.

I dont know whether to add some adjustable load shocks, or coil over shocks or add a leaf spring helper or air bags.

WHAT DO YOU ALL RECOMMEND?
I WANT TO KEEP THE TRUCK BECAUSE IT IS PAID FOR AND DONT WANT A PAYMENT AND I WANT TO DO THIS AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE.

I WILL BE ADDING A HITCH FOR SHUR BECAUSE MY BOAT HAS A 2" BALL AND THE CAMPER IS A 2" SOMETHING.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.
nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 09:46 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mike,

I just traded my 2003 Dakota in on a new Ram. However, I had the 4.7, and it had enough power to tow...I just wanted a 4WD because I got stuck once. Once too often for me.

Assuming your camper weighs less than 4,500 lbs, I would say you are okay, even without the tow package if you have the 5-speed automatic trans, and you stay off of steep inclines. Not great, but okay.

You might still get those rear springs looked at. And get your boat trailer balanced. All you should have is about 300-350 lbs on the hitch, depending on the size of your boat. That should not make your rear squat like that.
Old 03-21-11, 10:33 PM   #3
nitromike
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks nofearengineer. i see u got a mic for a pic. what kind of work you in? i am a ncprogrammer in machine shop. just wondering. thanks
Old 03-21-11, 10:38 PM   #4
bamabassman

4.7.is that the litre number for the 318? if so, yes it will tow the trailer buddy. but like you said, if i were you i would have those rear end problems taken care of for sure.
Old 03-21-11, 11:00 PM   #5
nofearengineer

I'm an Electrical Engineer, Mike....but I like to dabble in other stuff, and be a general nuisance know-it-all from time to time.

I've got some fairly decent precision measurement tools that I have acquired over the years in my endless pursuit of wasting my time dreaming of building a hot rod.

Bama, the 4.7 is smaller than the good ol' 318, but it makes a pretty decent Dakota engine.
Old 03-23-11, 06:47 AM   #6
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
4.7.is that the litre number for the 318? if so, yes it will tow the trailer buddy. but like you said, if i were you i would have those rear end problems taken care of for sure.
To convert liters to cubic inches, you multiply by 61.02. So, 4.7L x 61.02 = 286.79 cubic inches. A 318 is 5.2L.

I agree with Bama and Nofear, you should get the rear suspension checked out.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:58 AM   #7
BigBassMan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigBassMan

Add a couple leafs to the springs, some heavy shocks an it will be ok. If Automatic trans, oil cooler is a must. Trailer sway bars with weight bars will keep you under control better.
BigBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 04:10 PM   #8
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think it will pull it with out a problem. You want the sway bars added to help control the camper as you are driving. You also want to check out the electrical wiring hook ups from your truck to the camper. They maybe different and you will need to have it right when you drive it home. Have fun with your "new to you" camper!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 05:19 PM   #9
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

1st time post.....

I tow ALOT.... hope I can help...

Yes for their size older campers are pretty heavy... like posted above if the weight is under your GCW you should be ok. Having said that its pretty hard towing at highway speeds those older campers are not wind friendly. up to 45mph should seem pretty easy but that "may" not be the case at 55-60

you should be fine with a few things that will make it more enjoyable and safer....

Air helper springs work great too... deflate them when not in use to get factory ride quality back. with spring helpers without weight will ride rock solid.

add 5psi on your rear tires so they wear evenly.

1. trailer brake controller
2. trans cooler
3. helper springs
4. rear sway bar (poly bushings) (larger dia. bar)
5. etc. etc....

hope this helps......
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 05:53 PM   #10
bamabassman

jester......first of all man, WELCOME. secondly, you are DEAD on with whta you posted my friend. thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-23-11, 06:05 PM   #11
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you bamabassman I appreciate it.

Hope you (nitromike) can use this and make an informed decision on your tow rig/setup....

I dont pull too heavy...but I have tipped the scales at 21,000 GCW before....

Just rember to keep that trans cool. push in the tow button too....
Old 03-23-11, 07:05 PM   #12
nitromike
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys you are so very helpful and knowledgeable about all this. I will have the leaf springs looked at for shur and probably go with the adjustable shocks so i can go back to the normal ride, and the hitch. I only got to pull it about 10 miles to my usual destination so do you still think i need the trans cooler?

thanks guys
Old 03-23-11, 07:59 PM   #13
bamabassman

well that depends on how far and how many times you are gonna pull it (travel tailer). and also the hills, mountains that you have to pull it too. but it wouldn't hurt to install a trannny cooler. jsut a matter of if oyu think your truck is worth the money. jsut my opion. i hope to do this with my truck one day. a tranny cooler is always a welcome thing when towing travel trailers going up and down mountains.
Old 03-23-11, 08:25 PM   #14
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

well I see you are an kansas....which is as if not more flat than IL/IA.... like bamabassman it depends....

It depends if you feel like you want to mash the throttle going up hills to keep speed....

If you arent going to tow it thru the I-70 pass thru CO. you prob. get away with out having an aftermarket one. There is a trans cooler from the factory. its just plumbed into your radiator.....
Old 03-24-11, 09:07 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Mike, I actually still have the cooler I bought to install in my Dakota.

As is typical for me, I was going to put it in regardless of whether I truly needed it or not. Extra insurance, right?

Well, I soon discovered that getting it into the space it had to go was going to be nigh impossible for me, so it just collected dust on the shelf. Turns out I never needed it, but then again, Southern Indiana isn't the hilliest place.
Old 03-24-11, 09:14 PM   #16
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

the cooler ANY fluid is within reason will make parts last longer.

heat is brutal on vehicle components...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.