Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-11, 04:29 PM   #1
njswampman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Sonar placement help / questions

Hey all, Just picked up a War Eagle 860 with a center console. I use it to duck hunt and Largemouth fish a little and Smallmouth fish allot. Lake George, Champlain, Ontario, Erie, Oneida, NNJ reservoirs, Delaware and Hudson rivers. The boat has a Minn Kota 24V Terrova with the universal transducer. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 with Navionics card that I will be installing along with another Lowrance unit at the console. The console Mounted unit will have transom mounted transducer. Now my question is HDS7, HDS8? Which unit at the console? If installed with Structure Scan mounted on transom, will the trolling motor transducer interfere? First post *****es!!!
njswampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 05:26 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you need to ask TODD DRISKELL this question my firend. look for the lowrance trhead aorund here. or wait and someothers will be glad to help you out.

or oyu could send the units to ME and i'll use em for ya, hahahahaha. kidding pal.
Old 03-31-11, 07:36 PM   #3
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njswampman View Post
Hey all, Just picked up a War Eagle 860 with a center console. I use it to duck hunt and Largemouth fish a little and Smallmouth fish allot. Lake George, Champlain, Ontario, Erie, Oneida, NNJ reservoirs, Delaware and Hudson rivers. The boat has a Minn Kota 24V Terrova with the universal transducer. I have a Lowrance HDS 5 with Navionics card that I will be installing along with another Lowrance unit at the console. The console Mounted unit will have transom mounted transducer. Now my question is HDS7, HDS8? Which unit at the console? If installed with Structure Scan mounted on transom, will the trolling motor transducer interfere? First post *****es!!!
Besides screen size, the difference between the HDS 7 and 8 is 1) the 8 will show up to 4 viewing panes at one time, whereas the 7 will show up to 2, and 2) the 8 has quickkeys at bottom of unit to access common menu items, the 7 does not. I find the quickkeys very useful, especially when you are running the StructureScan. You just need to balance these differences vs. the price. But, I've never known anyone that regretted going to a larger unit.

Your 2D sonar will be running at 83/200 kHz, while the StructureScan ducer is running at 455/800 kHz, so these will not interfere. However, if both of your 2D sonar ducers are running, you will get crosstalk between them. Best way to prevent this is to either select "stop chart" on the console unit when going up front to fish (this stops the ducer), or to Ethernet-link both units and run "network sonar". With this feature enabled, only one 2D ducer is powered at a time, and on the unit you select which 2D ducer you want it to read. Also, with the two units Ethernet-linked, you can view StructureScan up front as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.