Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-11, 04:02 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bad Boat Monkey News.

Can't win for trying it seems. Have my boat in the shop for a good going over before the season starts. They've had it for 2 weeks now and got to it today. Good news was the Motor is in good shape - it was burning twice the oil it should have been so I thought the oil pump was gone - turns out only was out of adjustment. Having other minor maintenence done while they have it, new fuel lines (original and I've seen some post about guys having ethenol related issues with them) as preventative maintenence, a set of plugs being it was burning so much oil & the fuel filters.

Bad news was I had them go over my trailer too - brakes didn't work because I had holes in my brake lines, master cylinder was shot also. BAD BAD NEWS was the trailer (also 11 yrs. old) was rusted through in several spots. Mechanic told me I could pay about $400 to fix the brakes, and the trailer might last another year - or I could bust a crossmember on the way home. Any one knows where the boat monkey is hiding - I'd like to know.

So, what do I do now? I took a ride to a trailer company not too far away and ordered a new trailer. Good news! IT'S ALUMINIUM, no more rust worries. Dual axle with disc brakes on all 4 wheels. Should be here in 10 days. What's so good about that, you think? The trailer was on sale, I saved a freakin' grand on it.
No Bryce this isn't the new addition I've been tormenting you with, I had no idea I was going to need a new trailer. But ALUMINIUM - that is sweet.

One other thing - I just put 4 new tires on the trailer last fall and they don't have 50 miles on them yet. Anyone going to Wheeler need tires? I'll ckeck on the size when I get it back, but I think they are 14". Four chrome wheels also, the guy I bought the trailer from is going to let me have the tires and wheels.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-31-11 at 10:59 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 05:24 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dog-gone-it bruce. sorry for the torubles man. but hey, aluminum traailer? NICEEEEEE!!!!! lighter epuals less gas burned hauling rig. may not be much, but every little bit helps. and oyu get the tires off of the old trailer. sweet too. i just might have someone interested. have ot check.
Old 03-31-11, 08:56 PM   #3
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I gotta know. Where do you find new aluminum trailers?! I'd been searchin for a long time before I I just asked the mechanic who sold me the one I'm working on now. Very envious. For that matter, round abouts how much one of those new trailers cost? You saved a grand, that rocks. Granted, I got this one for $200 and it needed work, but by the time I'm done with it, I'll have dumped several hundred more into it. And it's still not new OR aluminum!
Anyone know of a place down in the N. Texas area that makes aluminum built trailers?
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:01 PM   #4
nofearengineer

That sucks, Boogie...but at least you got to spend a bunch more money, right?

Oh wait...that's the bad part.
Old 03-31-11, 09:37 PM   #5
bcklash

I might be interested in your tares
Old 03-31-11, 10:50 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
Where do you find new aluminum trailers
I found mine as a dealer from whom I purchased a galvanized trailer about 10 years ago. I went there with the intention of buying another. I thought Alum. would be way too expensive - BUT, it was comparable to a galvanized trailer in price with the sale price. I spent under $3500 for this trailer, dual axle, disc brakes on all 4 wheels including tax, set up for my boat, and transferring my boat to the new trailer. I get to keep my new tires, wheels and some other "bolt on" addidions from the old trailer and the dealership will take care of scrapping the old trailer. I'll need to add a couple things, like guide on bunks and retractalbe tie downs but that's minor.
You may have to check with dealers in your state to find one or the internet. Mine happens to be a Venture brand, which is built in Baltimore, MD and they distribute mostly on the East coast, and do not have a distributer in Texas.
This is close to the one I ordered, not exact as they don't have a picture of the model I will be getting on the website.

It's not fancy, but I'm sure it will get the job done with little worry of maintence issues comon with steel tube or box frame trailers. The frame is I-beam construction and the wiring is easy to get to, unlike tube trailers that have the wiring inside the tubes.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-31-11 at 10:57 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 12:23 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

That's a bummer boogie. But that trailer whould make you a good one for many years.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:37 AM   #8
Bender

Wow, that's really nice and a great deal. I'll be in the market for one sooner than later I'm afraid, and mine is only 4 years old. I really like the idea of a C or I channel trailer since the water doesn't get trapped in there and like you said the wiring is easy to access.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 10:46 AM   #9
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try Budget Boats out of Tidewater area they sometimes have great deals on trailers a buddy of mine got one off them for a very reasonable price. The reason they get so many a lot of people buy a new boat and put it on a wet or dry slip at there house and sell the trailer.

Jerry

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.