Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-02-11, 09:02 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Holy crap -

Anyone bought any 2 cycle oil or fuel additives lately? I picked up my boat today and got the last gallon of Yamalube 2M and the last 12 oz bottle of Ringfree in the shop. Oil was $38 and the additive $18. That's a BIG leap from last sping.

I got home and started hunting on the internet and have found it consideralby cheaper buying it by the case, so I'm putting in an order. Shipping is about twice what I'd spend in gas to go pick it up, so it's not too bad considering it will be dropped on my porch.

I admit, I'm anal about using manufacturer's oil and additives in my outboard. Other brands are cheaper, but it's sitll going to be more expensive this season to run the outboard. If you need it, better look now as it won't get any better as the season progresses.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:26 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mercury Optimax Oil is $35ish a gallon. The Quickleen additive is $10-12 for the little bottle. Yup...owning a boat is expensive.

I managed to find a case last year for $95, shipped. I still have a couple of gallons left, as last year I spent most of the time on my couch hiding from the blistering heat.

I hate to say it, but I hope I have to buy more oil this year.
Old 04-02-11, 11:30 PM   #3
Bender

Last week Cabela's (in Dundee, MI) had Yamaha 2M for $24.99 a gallon! I used to have a hook-up for it super cheap, but that deal is gone and I'm back to buying it. I paid $38 for it once last year. Many boat dealers will also refill your empty containers for a discount as well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:41 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Many boat dealers will also refill your empty containers for a discount as well.
That reminds me...I have saved every gallon jug of Opti oil I've ever bought.

Since nobody in my town will refill them, I'm going to take them with me at some point when I travel somewhere they will. It's a matter of principle now haha. $30-$40 is worth being a cheap skate over.
Old 04-02-11, 11:53 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That reminds me...I have saved every gallon jug of Opti oil I've ever bought.

Since nobody in my town will refill them, I'm going to take them with me at some point when I travel somewhere they will. It's a matter of principle now haha. $30-$40 is worth being a cheap skate over.
I am probably being paraniod but I am leary of buying bulk oil. I am just concerned about what I don't know about the barrel that the oil is in. Did it sit outside in a rain storm for a day or so before being moved inside? Did it draw moisture? How nasty or dusty was the barrel before it got filled with oil? Like I said probably nothing to worry about but it was always a concern of mine. The last time I bought amsoil for my boat it had jumped up a few bucks too
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:21 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
Since nobody in my town will refill them, I'm going to take them with me at some point when I travel somewhere they will.
Well, bring 'em to Wheeler - I don't know if I can fill one in a week but I'll give it my best shot. Maybe if I bring a SECOND CASE OF BEER.

But I agree NFE, it's a matter of principle - I can buy a 55 gal. drum and the cost of the oil drops to $18/gal (+ shipping). Same supplier gets $95 for a case of 4 gallon jugs or $24/gal (+ shipping). Buy a single gallon at a shop and it's $38 (shipping included). WTF, it's the same dang oil, only the packaging is different and surely isn't worth the huge increase in price.

I'd love to buy a 55 gal. drum, but shipping is expensive, it must be drop shiped to a warehouse or shop that has a fork lift as it weighs almost 500 pounds and getting that home and off my truck would be a problem. But I could sell about half of it at reduced cost and recoup some of my expense in the bargain and still have enough to last me 3 or 4 years.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-03-11 at 07:37 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 11:05 AM   #7
MississippiBoy

Actually getting a 55 gallon drum out of the bed of a pickup is easy. If you can get someone to load it for you, you can put 2 old tires flat on the ground, one on top of the other, and roll the barrel off onto them. The only problem after that is getting it where you want it and standing it back up. We did this with 55 gallons drums of car shampoo and other heavy liquids every day when I worked at an auto paint store years ago.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.