Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-11, 09:18 AM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Line for Spinning Reels?

I know there's been a lot of discussion about line, so I apologuise if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still confused.

Here is the short version:
1. What line would you use on a 7'-0" medium spinning rod?
2. What line would you use on two 6'-6" medium-light spinning rods?

Here's the long version:
I've got 4 rods all with spinning reels. I want (need) new line on my medium rod and 2 medium-light rigs.

Rod number 1: a 6' 3" medium-heavy rod; I'm happy with my current line. I use this combo as my heay rod and it is spooled with a 20 pound braid. (...it might be heavier?) I think it's Power Pro, but I'm not positive. I use it mostly for largemouth: rubber frogs, bass jigs, and heavy spinner baits. Yes, I would prefer a longer rod and maybe heavier line, but it works for now.

Rod number 2: 7' 0" medium rod; I use this rod mostly for largemouth as well. It gets used for the majority of my plastics which is what I most frequently fish. This set-up also gets used for medium spinnerbaits and crankbaits. It is a little stiff, but I make due.

Medium Line 1st choice:
I like braid and am leaning towards 20# Suffix 832. Should I be concerned that 20# line might be heavy for a spinning reel? (Suffix 832 only comes in 10# and 20#, not 15#.) I also realize that Suffix 832 sinks which would limit any top-water presentations to either my heavier or lighter rods.

Other Medium Line Options:
15# Diawa Samari (braid)
15# Power Pro (braid)
12# Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft Hybrid (Fluorocarbon hybrid)

Rods 3 and 4: two 6' 6" medium-light rods. These are my primary small-mouth rods. They do get used for finesse presentations for largemouth and walleye. In a pinch they also get used for small to medium spinnerbaits and small crankbaits. I fish small-mouth from a canoe and only take these 2 rods. I cast a lot of light in-line spinners, small jigs, small T-rigged plastics, Rebel Crayfish crankbaits and Heddon Tiny Torpedos. In the past I've used 8# and 10# Trilene XL & XT and also 10# Spiderwire or Fireline.

Light choices: Here is where I really get confused! I looking for a line that performs well, i.e., casts long distances, doesn't jump off the spool, has low line memory, etc.
Option 1. I could just stick with trilene XT, or try another monofilament.
Option 2. 8# or 10# Seaguar InvisX, though am concenerned that it sinks and wouldn't be good for casting Heddon Torpedos. Also I'm concerned that Fluorcarbons aren't "spinning-reel friendly," though InvisX seems to be the best Fluro choice for spinning reels.
Option 3. 8# or 10# Yo-Zuri Ultrasoft.
Option 4. 10# Suffix 832 (again, it sinks)
Option 5. 10# Suffix Performance Braid - suppose to be almost as good as Suffix 832, but doesn't sink.
Option 6. I'm open to any reccomendations!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.