Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-11-09, 11:48 AM   #1
ky southern

Default dropshot - light lure reel

im looking for a new reel-rod setup to do a little small mouth fishing and i already have a quantum spinning reel but thinking of the pro lite bass pro reel,or should i look for another spinning reel setup.if i go spinning should i go with a cheap setup such as a cardnial 100 series or spend more money for a setup that gets used very little.im kinda leaning for the baitcaster set-up cause i have more fun fishing em,but dont want to blow money in the wrong direction.help me out here fellows.
Old 01-11-09, 02:04 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Any Sized 20 reel will do for most dropshotting scenarios. Some people like reels with greater capacity and that works for them and I am cool with that. However, for what I face, size 20 (Quantum 20, Shimano or Daiwa 2000, etc.) is perfect in terms of function and weight. Spinning reels are inherently heavy. Jumping from a 2500 to 4000 sized reel, you will not a marked increase in weight.

I use a cardinal 100a for my "just about ultralight" rig.

You don't need to blow a lot of money for a drop shot rig. Get the 6'6" to 7' rod with a medium light to Medium action and you will be set. No point in spending bukoo bucks and then find you don't even like to drop shot. I think on the contrary you will find it to be a very effective way to nail them.
Old 01-11-09, 03:11 PM   #3
woody

I'd go with a decent MH rod and reel set-up that you would be able to use for other than just drop shot.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:13 PM   #4
rrw4258

I love my abu garcia cardinal 102 reel... I have it on a 7' Medium Berkley Lightning Rod, and use this for my dropshotting, shaky heads, and tube fishing.

Ryan
Old 01-11-09, 03:34 PM   #5
ky southern

can i drop shot with a baitcasting reel????
Old 01-11-09, 04:14 PM   #6
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can drop shot with baitcasting gear. You will have to use a heavier weight and if you are fishing around heavy cover such as standing timber this is a better setup i think but if you are fishing open water spinning is probably a better setup. I have fished it on both and it will work.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 10:26 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You can dropshot with baitcasting gear, but I don't. I have a couple Abu 100 spinning reels and love them. I'm going ot be using a 102 for dropshot this spring. It'll be paired with a 7'2" M Shimano Crucial dropshot rod (awesome rods by the way)

Like I said, I prefer to use spinning gear for dropshot because of the small lures and light weights you use. Although I use anywhere from 3/16oz to 1/2 oz, depending on where I'm fishing. (we use 1/2 oz in the Detroit River for smallmouth)

You can spend a bit more money and go with a shimano or a different Abu. I've heard the Shimano Symetres are very good, although I'm not too impressed with my Sahara.

BB
Old 01-11-09, 11:04 PM   #8
Bender

One of my dropshot rigs was using a baitcaster. I rarely use it since there was no advantage to it. That one is a Calcutta 50 reel on a Medium light rod. Dropshotting is a finesse tactic with light line and small hooks. For this reason it is best to use a sensitive and light action rod. You want the rod to work as a shock absorber to help keep fish buttoned up after they are hooked. Also on inland lakes I use a 1/8 oz. weight a lot. There are not too many Light or Medium Light action dropshot rods available.
Don't get me wrong, you can use any rod you like, but that is my preference.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 10:46 AM   #9
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Plenty of sound advice already given. I'm a confessed Drop Shot junkie as it's my go to finesse presentation. I use a a Daiwa Capricorn 2000 or a Shimano Stradic 2500. They both weigh about the same and hold the same amount of line. There is no advantage to going with a larger spool/reel as your just adding needless weight to the setup, as even deep water DS'ing won't require more then 30 or so feet of line.

I've the last two years I've used both a 6'6" ML & M rod, thinking that the sensitivity with the ML would be a advantage. My conclusion was that it wasn't. And in many cases the rod softer backbone was a disadvantage in setting the hook on a big Bass. The M had a stiffer backbone and required a shorter, more compacted hookset. So this coming year, I'm going with the medium 6'6" rod.
Old 01-13-09, 11:42 AM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Plenty of sound advice already given. I'm a confessed Drop Shot junkie as it's my go to finesse presentation. I use a a Daiwa Capricorn 2000 or a Shimano Stradic 2500. They both weigh about the same and hold the same amount of line. There is no advantage to going with a larger spool/reel as your just adding needless weight to the setup, as even deep water DS'ing won't require more then 30 or so feet of line.

I've the last two years I've used both a 6'6" ML & M rod, thinking that the sensitivity with the ML would be a advantage. My conclusion was that it wasn't. And in many cases the rod softer backbone was a disadvantage in setting the hook on a big Bass. The M had a stiffer backbone and required a shorter, more compacted hookset. So this coming year, I'm going with the medium 6'6" rod.
I agree with most of what you said, except the 30ft of line thing. Around here, maybe so if you're dropshotting vertical. But I hardly ever DS vertical, and I cast it more than 30ft. Second, if you ive out a CA or something you can be dropshotting vertically in 50+ft of water.

As for the size of reel. I would go with a 1500-2500 size reel. I personally use a 2000.

BB
Old 01-13-09, 12:40 PM   #11
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I agree with most of what you said, except the 30ft of line thing. Around here, maybe so if you're dropshotting vertical. But I hardly ever DS vertical, and I cast it more than 30ft. Second, if you ive out a CA or something you can be dropshotting vertically in 50+ft of water.

As for the size of reel. I would go with a 1500-2500 size reel. I personally use a 2000.

BB
I too do cast or pitch my DS more then 50% of the time. But I don't think I've ever casted more then 20 yards or so. Even if you cast 30 yards, that's just 90 ft. My point is that a 2000-2500 model reel has more then an ample footage of line to do the job with plenty to spare.

The deepest I've ever caught a reservoir fish with a DS rig is 32 FOW. Half the reservoirs I fish have depths well over 100 FOW. I just don't fish that deep.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.