Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-12-11, 10:37 AM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Interstate Batteries

I need a couple of batteries for my trolling motor. I am thinking about getting interstate brand , thats what they sell in my local boat shop. Or should I just get some wally world batteries ? I am sure this boat will probably be sold in the next year or two in favor of an upgrade.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 10:47 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Between Interstates and Everstarts, I'd pick Everstart everytime. Actually, I have an Everstart Maxx that I use on my small boat - I've had it for a long time, and it still holds up quite well.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 11:07 AM   #3
CMorg

Ok , who sells Everstart ? And are they cheaper than the Interstate's ?
Old 02-12-11, 11:14 AM   #4
CamG

They are the Walmart batteries. And yes, typically the same price or slightly cheaper.
Old 02-12-11, 12:51 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sorry to disagree with you on this one cam....but i went through 6 wally world NEVERstarts pal. maybe it was the stores, or maybe i burn them up too quick. i now own INTERSTATES. love them so far. 2 years going on my 3rd. no problem so far. mine cost me aobut $100.00 each. the wally world batteries were cheaper, but i would get one that would last bout 3 months. nothing gets me pee-od more than getting ready to in the morning, plugging up the charger (night before)only to find a dead cell in a battery. then you (if you're like i am, poor) have to wait till payday to get another battery or exchange the battery and go through all the crap at wally world to exchange said battery. wal mart is really starting to get into debating on exchanges around here. sometimes i would get the 3rd degree on how it went dead. what did i do, so on and so forth. understand?
i got my interestates at my local boat shop, if it goes dead, exchange it witout a problem whatsoever. i like that. no hassles.
Old 02-12-11, 01:48 PM   #6
CamG

You can disagree all day Bama. No worries from me. At work, we are under contract to use Interstate batteries. We CONSTANTLY have bad batteries. I honestly wouldn't use them if they were free.
Old 02-12-11, 01:54 PM   #7
Kevin
Administrator

I'm pretty hard on batteries and went through a ton of brands until I tried Interstate. I have had amazingly great success with Interstate batteries over the past couple years. I bought mine from an actual Interstate Store. I think there are two quality grade's of marine deep cycle/cranking... be sure to get the higher quality unit. Love em.
Old 02-12-11, 02:18 PM   #8
nobass

I to have interstate both cranking and trolling. i have the marine grade have used them for over 40 years cars,boats mowers and generator. can honestly say i would never use anything eles
Old 02-12-11, 03:34 PM   #9
bamabassman

well nobass.......i'll have to disagree with you as well,lol. IF i could afford it, i would get the jell batteries. but..........since i can't afford them.........YET, i'll stick with what i got.
Old 02-12-11, 05:37 PM   #10
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I know I have an 6 year old everstart that is my starter battery, which still holds a great charge, and runs everthing but the TM. I last charged it in Nov 2010, just changed it again Feb 2011 and it read 12.3V. The boat stays outside also.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 10:35 PM   #11
nobass

yea bama know what you mean if i had the money mind would be jell also. that's why i use interstate
Old 02-13-11, 01:01 AM   #12
jcw1503

Duralast has worked great for me
Old 02-13-11, 12:31 PM   #13
bamabassman

has anyone here tried the DIE-HARD batteries form sears? jsut wondering. not meaning to steal the thread. maybe make another thread on this. hhhmmmm.
Old 02-13-11, 01:00 PM   #14
screwballl

Most batteries are made by one of 3 companies these days, and they all have specific and minimum regulations that need to be followed. So a $75 WalMart 24 series battery is almost the same as that $200 interstate 24 battery, all you pay for is the name.
If you notice, WalMart has their own line of batteries that match the Optimas too, same manufacturer, big price difference.

Batteries are just like anything else electrical or mechanical, there are always a few in any batch from any company that may have issues, this is why most of these companies have warranties. Some companies have a much higher quality testing system so you are less likely to get a bad batch from the higher dollar batteries such as Interstate, but it is still possible.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 04:41 PM   #15
bamabassman

screwball, this makes me wonder if maybe...jsut maybe some places by 2nds? know what i mean? buying some that barely make the grade, jsut passed inspection but not the best of the best if oyu know what i am saying.
Old 02-13-11, 10:09 PM   #16
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

I have always believed Interstate to be a quality battery.... but I really can't speak from much experience. I have an interstate battery in my SUV and it seems to be very reliable..... but I can speak from experience for the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart.

I have two large Everstart Maxx batteries that I use to run my trolling motor. These batteries have to be at least 5 years old and they have been very dependable. They hold a charge very well and I have been very happy with them. Maybe their newer batteries are not the same quality... I do also have an Everstart cranking battery that I have had a couple issues with... late last year it would not take a charge and I took it back to Walmart to get it replaced. They put it on their charger and charged it up...said nothing was wrong with it. I took it home and never had any other problems with it..... tried to charge it again today and I am getting the same "bad cell" reading from my charger.... so I guess I will need to take it back and have it inspected .....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:31 PM   #17
screwballl

I am only starting to get into the marine side of batteries but they are now made by the same few companies. As recent as a decade ago, there were a lot more battery companies. As smaller ones went under or got bought out, as the lead bans expanded, now it is down to just a few companies.
I still have 16 years with vehicles, a father with his Army vehicle repair experience, a best friend that I swear had motor oil in his bottle and his dad with 35 years as master mechanic in the Air Force (before they went soft)... they pretty much say the same thing: the name brand higher dollar batteries tend to pass the higher levels of quality inspections, but for normal every day use in vehicle (or weekend non-pro fishing), the WalMart or generic auto parts store batteries should handle everything we need.

I have had cheap Wally World batteries that lasted in vehicles for 6+ years and some quality brand batteries last barely over 2. This is from 6 vehicles of my own in that same timeframe, plus 10 or more that my parents or wife owned.
Being raised in South Dakota, the harsh winters and hot summers gave batteries of all kinds a beating if exposed to the elements. Down here in northwest FL, there are some warmer summers where the temp will not drop below 90ºF at night for 2 weeks straight, plus add in the high humidity and that can cause problems with batteries too.

So far in almost 11 years down here, I have used the cheaper priced batteries and they tend to last 4-6 years.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 05:08 PM   #18
CMorg

Bottom line Walmart everstart battery is $85. Interstate battery $99 , I think for that little differance I will take the "must pass higher quality inspection" Interstate.
Old 02-14-11, 06:42 PM   #19
bamabassman

plugged in my rig ast night. got 2 interstate batteries for the troller......GOOD TO GO! got 1 wally world battery, still charging............... it is the cranking battery. may have to pay homage to the boat monkey soon.
Old 02-16-11, 06:26 PM   #20
CMorg

Bought the biggest one he had on hand. I hope it will last on my trolling motor. Some lakes I fish are electric only and I have to use the troller the whole 8 hour tournament. The battery I got was 750MCA , the model number is SRM-27 , The specs are in the first box in the following link.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...o/marine_f.asp
Old 03-13-11, 11:22 PM   #21
Tall

Cmorg

I have three interstate in my boat for the 36 volt 101 minkota and to crank my 200 opti max and they are holding up great. I placed them in the boat last spring and I am pleased. I used them all day in a heavy wind last week and they were still strong when I finished fishing with not to many startups that charges one of them while running.

I talked to the local boat repair place and asked opinions and he quickly added that jell batteries are not reccommended for the optimax due to all the current the motor draws with the computer in it.

Interstate will be my next purchase as well. I did like the self contained batteries I had in it, but either one was week are the were on their last leg at 4 years old. These seem like they last twice as long before the volts drop to 11.5 or so which is were I start my motor and put some juice in the cranking battery.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 05:33 PM   #22
Lvitch

I bought the biggest batteries they had at wally world. They have a replacement warranty and I figured there was a wally world just about every where in case I need a replacement
Old 03-14-11, 07:42 PM   #23
bamabassman

lvitch...i did too buddy. still got a lot of hassle trying to replace mine. so i switched to interstate.
Old 03-15-11, 09:31 PM   #24
Lvitch

Yeah they actually test them now. A little baking soda in one of the cells might kill it if it got in there. Don't know how that would happen though....
Old 03-16-11, 08:07 PM   #25
SaminVa

I use Interstate on my Minn Kota 74# thrust 24volt system with no problems... The guy that builds the Rhino Jet boats in my area uses them as well. I have used all brands in the past.. waaly world brand.. AC Delco etc. So far I'm happy with Interstate.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.