Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-11, 07:03 PM   #1
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Stratos 176XT vs. Triton 17 Explorer

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any experience with either of these boats? I am looking very seriously at both boats since they are very similar in price.

I am looking for a quality, affordable fiberglass boat for fishing smaller lakes in my state. I am NOT concerned about the engine size since ALL the lakes I fish are NO WAKE lakes. The main engine will only be for idling around the lake and loading and unloading the boat from the trailer. An outboard of 75 hp or less will be plenty of engine for what I need.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who owns or has fished from either of these rigs.....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 07:31 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Have not fished from either, but have spent some time around the Stratos on the water. Great boat. from just pictures on the internet... i like the fornt deck and rod locker of teh stratos much better, but i like the rear storage for teh triton. Triton has higher gunwales which i dont like. With my money, i would go 176xt... but that is just from internet experience
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 07:55 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am an owner of an '08 17 Explorer. I too was looking at the 176XT and went with the Triton. I felt the Stratos looked a little cheap to me. The Triton is a great boat in a small package. I just wish it were faster!! No, I have the 90 Merc on it and will top out around 47ish (it's been a while so I can't remember the exact #). I take it out on big water (Lake St. Clair, Saginaw Bay and Grand Traverse Bay (Lake Michigan) and have only speared 2 waves. It handles great and fishes just as well. I did upgrade to an LMS-520 and a HDS5 on the boat. I do wish that I had a bigger trolling motor. That's about the only thing I can think is "wrong" with the boat. I can fit 14+ rods in the rod locker and all the tackle I own in the boat. I also tow my boat with an Equinox at 70 just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the boat.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 05:37 PM   #4
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If your not worried about the ride, go with the triton. If you like your kidneys , go with the stratos. lol Both fish well but i'll take the ride of my stratos and day.
Old 03-31-11, 09:02 PM   #5
fiker
BassFishin.Com Member

I have fished from Andy's boat, and everything he said is true. It's a great ride. I had plenty of room on the back deck as well.
fiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.