Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-03-11, 07:08 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Help mounting trolling motor

I just took my old tm off and was getting ready to install my new one , and then I noticed there is no way to get the bolts on the underside of the deck ( its not really a deck but the top of the aluminum boat in the front). I dont really know what to do now...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:10 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

post up some pics smorg. this will help us help you.
Old 03-03-11, 07:32 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Yep, need some pictures. You may have to remove a liner from one of the compartments, to reach the nuts. Wait a minute, that didn't sound quite right........
Yeah, pictures would help a lot, but NOT from you JOHN!!!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:44 PM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I just took my old tm off and was getting ready to install my new one , and then I noticed there is no way to get the bolts on the underside of the deck ( its not really a deck but the top of the aluminum boat in the front). I dont really know what to do now...

These are what you need. Just stick them down in the existing holes, sit your trolling motor on top of them, put the bolts in and tighten them down.

http://www.cabelas.com/boating-hardw...:referralID=NA
Old 03-03-11, 07:50 PM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
These are what you need. Just stick them down in the existing holes, sit your trolling motor on top of them, put the bolts in and tighten them down.

http://www.cabelas.com/boating-hardw...:referralID=NA
and when they rust together and you have to drill them out to get it apart, you will never use them again. youd think stainless steel would be used here...its not. wasnt impressed at the holding power they dont have either. i use bolts and locknuts,even though its a pain to reach in there and perform magic to tighten them down.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 07:55 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
and when they rust together and you have to drill them out to get it apart, you will never use them again. youd think stainless steel would be used here...its not. wasnt impressed at the holding power they dont have either. i use bolts and locknuts,even though its a pain to reach in there and perform magic to tighten them down.

What exactly rust together? I have used these on many trolling motors, without ever any problem what so ever. Other than they wear out and the rubber breaks. On alot of the aluminum boats this is your only option, as there is NO access to tighten anything on the underside.
Old 03-03-11, 08:51 PM   #7
Embrey

Quote:
What exactly rust together? I have used these on many trolling motors, without ever any problem what so ever. Other than they wear out and the rubber breaks. On alot of the aluminum boats this is your only option, as there is NO access to tighten anything on the underside.
the metal insert and the threaded bolt. EVERY one of them did it on mine.then it got loose and when you try to tighten it,all that happens is the insert spins in the rubber. i had to end up drilling all the heads off the bolts.
Old 03-03-11, 09:07 PM   #8
CMorg

Quote:

Mine is aluminum. And that is what it had mounted on my old one , and the bolts came out , but the rubber things ripped so I couldnt reuse them , plus my new motor doesnt mount in same spot. I just did order those , thanks...

ps my old ones were motorguide brand and have brass bolts.
Old 03-03-11, 09:39 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
the metal insert and the threaded bolt. EVERY one of them did it on mine.then it got loose and when you try to tighten it,all that happens is the insert spins in the rubber. i had to end up drilling all the heads off the bolts.
Most of the ones I have used have actually came from BPS, they have a brass insert and the screw is SS. I have not had problems with them siezing together but they will come loose and the rubber does eventually break. I usually put a flat washer and a lock washer under the screw head, it will def. help to keep them tight. I agree that they are not best possible solution if you have the access you need, but they are about the only choice you have if you don't.
Old 03-04-11, 10:29 AM   #10
Bender

I don't have experience with this case but it might not be a bad idea to put some anti-sieze on the bolts before putting them in if they might corrode. Just make sure to check them regularly to keep them tight.

On my old aluminum boat I managed somehow (probably couldn't do it again) to get under there and hold a plate in place then put nuts and lockwashers on the back.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:48 AM   #11
nofearengineer

CMorg,

I'm right there with you buddy. Access to the bow on my Avalanche is also extremely limited. However, I am not going to trust my trolling motor's fate to anchor bolts. Anchor bolts are made to go into solid, thick material, like a concrete wall, where they get a good grip. They will have much less purchase on a 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum. That is one area the fiberglass w/wood boat guys have us beat. While Aluminum is every bit as strong, it's not as thick.

You need bolts.

If it were me, I would cut an access hole in the deck, or the inboard side of the deck. You could put a decent looking plate over it...maybe even put it on a hinge. Where is your receptacle for the trolling motor located? Chances are it is mounted to a removable panel, as it would be too large to pass through its own hole.
Old 03-04-11, 12:00 PM   #12
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't have experience with this case but it might not be a bad idea to put some anti-sieze on the bolts before putting them in if they might corrode. Just make sure to check them regularly to keep them tight.

On my old aluminum boat I managed somehow (probably couldn't do it again) to get under there and hold a plate in place then put nuts and lockwashers on the back.
i would have, but i didnt install them, lol. previous owner did it,and i was just trying to get it off,since the trolling motor was not exactly mounted solid.
Old 03-04-11, 01:50 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

I have been there with the expansion bolts..they do not work after a couple years.

The rubber goes bad and no longer grips , then the bolts no longer work due to rust.

Had to grind them off and replace. The new ones worked ok but one day I tapped a pole at the dock and all four just let loose. Trolling motor fell in to 10 feet of water. Used the foot peddle cord to get it back.. Minn Kota..

Next I tried a metal removable tray and added one extra bolt thru to secure it.

Two rubber plugs and three bolts and it never gave me issue again. But I had 2 nice size holes to fill. Round plug of wood wraped in glass and stapled to underside of plug allowed a clean fill of resien to hide the holes..

Always use stanless steel and those nuts with the plastic ring in them..oh and stainless steel washers as well.

Capt Mike
Old 03-04-11, 03:31 PM   #14
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
CMorg,

I'm right there with you buddy. Access to the bow on my Avalanche is also extremely limited. However, I am not going to trust my trolling motor's fate to anchor bolts. Anchor bolts are made to go into solid, thick material, like a concrete wall, where they get a good grip. They will have much less purchase on a 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum. That is one area the fiberglass w/wood boat guys have us beat. While Aluminum is every bit as strong, it's not as thick.

You need bolts.

If it were me, I would cut an access hole in the deck, or the inboard side of the deck. You could put a decent looking plate over it...maybe even put it on a hinge. Where is your receptacle for the trolling motor located? Chances are it is mounted to a removable panel, as it would be too large to pass through its own hole.
I took off the small plate that houses my TM plug , and then there is another wall if you will of aluminum with a 3" hole in the middle where the wires come out of for the power to the plug. I would have to take my whole front deck off to get behind that wall if you will. I could cut that out bigger I am sure. I will try to post a pic. I just hate posting pics here , as it isnt easy for me...
Old 03-04-11, 05:49 PM   #15
cassidyta

I know mine is an older boat, but for me, I removed the front deck. While it was a pain to do so, it was much easier in the long run.
Old 03-07-11, 05:13 PM   #16
CMorg

Cut a bigger hole and installed using provided stainless hardware. It was a female dog..
Old 03-07-11, 05:32 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Cut a bigger hole and installed using provided stainless hardware. It was a female dog..
But it will last much longer, and work better. Totally worth it.
Old 03-07-11, 07:58 PM   #18
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
But it will last much longer, and work better. Totally worth it.
I am sure your right. It is definately solid. I can pick up the boat by the mount...ok , I am lying I cant pick up my boat .. been trying to get ahold you Bryce..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.