Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-11, 01:59 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Front mounting for trolling motor

I need to cut a piece of wood to mount to the front of the boat to mount the trolling motor on. I am thinking of doing something like the following -

Cut a piece of wood in a rounded triangle to match the curve of the front of the boat. It won't be too deep. Just deep enough to hold the trolling motor. The trolling motor will be foot controlled. There will be a small space (about 6") from the bottom of the piece of wood to the top "deck" of the front of the boat. My question is - What kind of wood works best for this application? I know to use stainless steel screws and bolts. The previous owner had drilled holes on the edge of the boat lip to accomodate the wood they used. It has since become rotten and removed. What wood last the longest? I plan on covering it with some marine carpet to help it last longer. How thick should the wood be?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 02:13 PM   #2
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Marine grade plywood, would work the best. But pressure treated wood would also work.
Old 03-21-11, 05:54 PM   #3
nobass

if you get the composite lumber from lowes home depot it will never rot it is 5/4in thick. they use it for decking material. will not warp or twist on you either
Old 03-22-11, 03:51 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Starboard will never rot.

Capt Mike
Old 03-24-11, 08:29 AM   #5
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The carpeting, if marine type, will not help. It allows water to set on the wood and keeps it from drying out so fast. A coat of fiberglass resin may be a good alternative for protection and water proofing. I'd do one side and the edges of the wood, letting it cure and then turn it over to finish it and letting it cure before installing. Just my 2 cents. Good fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.