Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-27-11, 11:40 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another Popper Question

Ok, I've used poppers with a pretty good success rate for a long time, back when I started poppers, there was Hula Poppers and Rebel Pop-Rs were like your only choices. Over the years Pop-Rs have really worked well for me. I have dozens of poppers and alot of variety both color and brand. I stuck with Rebels largely on price and they work, but have had sucess with other brands but one of my major top water lakes also have fair numbers of pike and some large musky. You all know how much a pike loves a popper! I've used tieable wire leaders but they do hinder proformance, not as bad as other leaders but not as good as direct line tie either. A pond I fish the poppers seem to attract alot of dinks. Tried larger pops and I litterally caught a 4in. LM on a 3 in popper. So I've been looking at Zell Pops but I'm weary of pike loses, any ideas?..... While I'm at it, popper colors. Now the vast majority of all brands of all poppers have dozens of colors but the belly seem to be mostly, white,yellow or some shade of silver. (this includes Yellow majic) Now isn't the belly really what the fish sees as apposed to the top? Rebel again seems to have the largest selection of belly colors. As price goes up belly selection seems to go down. So how important is color and poppers? Hey, didn't Zell Roland design the Rebel Pop-R too?

Last edited by joedog; 09-27-11 at 02:28 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 05:36 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

zell modified a rebel pop-r. i have one and love it. wish i could get some of his too. he sanded the sides and the mouth to make it "pop" better. mine is old (obut 20 plus yrs old). i have changed out the hooks several times. good bait.
Old 09-27-11, 06:16 PM   #3
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I stick to white/black/blue for my topwaters that i will let sit there... But thats just where my confidence lies. some days the fish like one color some times another color sometimes not a pop-r but something else
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 06:57 PM   #4
keithdog

I use mainly the Xcaliber Zell pops. I prefer one of the shad patterns. They all seem to work equally well for me. It's true that mostly what a bass will see is the belly portion of the bait. I do have a Lucky Craft popper in black that I use in low light conditions most of the time. I believe it make a better target in low light. If pike are an issue, maybe try using a heavy mono or copoly line of aboout 50 pound test as a leader. Tie your main line to a 20 inch length of 50 pound copoly and then tie your popper to the heavy leader line using an improved clinch knot. The heavy copoly will keep your popper floating better than a wire leader and offer you a better chance of not loosing the popper to the teeth of a pike.
Old 09-28-11, 12:08 PM   #5
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i know they are old school but what about the hula popper.....well actually Wal Mart sells one that looks like a cicada. This thing has awesome action! It looks like a bug trying to fly off the surface of the water.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 06:00 PM   #6
bamabassman

i have a few hula poppers. still use em too. got the cicada jsut this year. although not used it.
Old 09-29-11, 04:10 AM   #7
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A lot of fly fishermen use 40lb or heavier braided line. Think about it, it's hard to cut braid with scissors, it isn't any easier for a pikes teeth to cut either. I love the Zell pop and they are worth the money. I have tons of other poppers but there is something about them that catches fish when others don't. Another good thing about the braided line is that it floats so it won't kill the action of your bait.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.