Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-11, 12:11 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What to do when bass just follow my lures?

I haven't done alot of fishing the past 6 weels or so due to the extra hot weather, but the past couple of times I have been I've noticed the bass would follow my lures but I couldn't get them to bite......I'd speed up, they'd speed up....I'd slow down, they'd slow down.....I'd stop, they'd stop.....From fingerling sized bass to 3lbs, they'd just follow my lures.

I tried changing colors first, then I'd switch from a crankbait to a jig or plastic tube or worm as a follow up bait, and I still couldn't get them to bite....Just follow.....Is it just the fish acting this way, or is there another technique I should be trying when this happens??
Old 09-12-11, 01:38 PM   #2
Raul

When a fish follows your bait itīs telling you itīs interested but not quite convinced by the presentation and/or if you can see the fish following the bait the presetation might be right but itīs wary to take the bait because it sees you and sees the bait moving towards you. You can change the presentation and avoid the fish seeing you ( if you are standing then kneel down for example ).
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 04:05 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

I've tried lots of things in this situation.....If its a crank I can usually close the deal by going smaller.....with plastics I'll do the same and maybe add some scent....if we knew how many fish were following out of sight we'd swear someone musta put gasoline on our baits.
Old 09-12-11, 04:46 PM   #4
lilmule

Stop the bait it will do one of two things eat it,or run.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 07:52 PM   #5
Marty

I think you're doing the right things. You recognize that something has to change and you have to experiment until you find the answer.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 08:04 PM   #6
Tavery5

The good news is that you have them interested enough to check out the bait. The only thing I can add to this is that when I have had this occur, I just try to give the bait some type of different action, a quick jerk, let it fall and then jerk it, just something to try and trigger that reaction bite that bass are know for.

Good Luck
Old 09-13-11, 08:26 AM   #7
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ahhh the bass guys are feeling the muskie guys pain lol! Try to figure 8 them or a wide oval speeding up in the corners and going deep in the straights. ( this is of course after you have tried a different color, retrieve , bait. Make em eat at your FEET!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:13 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Thanks guys, I've tried everything suggested and so far its made no difference.....I'll try again this weekend and see what happens.
Old 09-15-11, 09:03 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My only suggestions are to change color or speed or both.
Old 09-16-11, 08:42 AM   #10
Mac2

I'd try two things.....

Firstly I'd downsizing the bait and secondly during the retrieve including two things.....pausing for one and at the end of the pause tremoring the bait by simply gripping the handle of the rod suddenly tighter......it's not a violent jerk or yank, but simply a twitching that hardly moves the rod tip at all. If you fish soft plastics, the pause will let it fall slowly unweighted and the little tremor will give it the notion that it's about to escape. You just may be surprised what a tiny tremor can produce in making the lure more lifelike.

Good Fishing, Mac
Old 09-16-11, 08:53 AM   #11
Mac2

Secondly, I'd fish two rods, the first using your go to confidence bait, and the second using a finess worm weightless and scented. This second rod will work well if it's an open faced spinning outfit, 6 lb mono and having the worm texposed and as previously mentioned, scented. Cast it near likely cover, let it fall to bottom and place the rod in front of yourself with the bail open. Now, occasionally glimpse at the line on the reel and if it's peeling off slowly, pick up the rod and just as soon as the line stops, crank and yank. I have great luck doing this with a garlic scent on a Slider 4 inch worm. As you fish this do nothing style, you can be fishing your other rod in the meantime.
Old 09-16-11, 05:27 PM   #12
boloson

add scent. sight fishing is probably the most exciting yet the most frustrating part of fishing because u can see a big 1 yet they wont eat your lure arrrrgggghhh. add scent & they will come closer & closer finally striking it. it's worked for me
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 04:53 PM   #13
MrMakk

As stated, if you're getting follows, that show there is interest, yet the fish are not entirely convinced to 'take the bait'. and that the other options are to change the lure and the way you're working it with the action,

when i start to get follows weather it be by the pike, chub, perch or anything at all that shows interest. the first thing I do is kneel down. If you can see the fish, they can see you. By kneeling I am reducing my posture and the chances of spooking the fish. whilst i am kneeling, i change the working of the lure, most of the time i am going slow with the twitching and jerking... but instead i start to go twitchy, and faster as if the lure has spotted the 'follower' and is trying to get away fast. by this stage i already have got the hooks in the mouth.

If this still don't work, i go back to the spot in 15mins time and try again because most chances are that the fish will go back to its place of ambush..............
Old 09-17-11, 09:11 PM   #14
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMakk View Post
If this still don't work, i go back to the spot in 15mins time and try again because most chances are that the fish will go back to its place of ambush..............
I hate to admit it, but this is something I have a BAD habit of NOT doing, and I just don't know why.......My partner and I fish from a 16' aluminum boat so rather than fight the wind most of the time, we tend to do alot of drift fishing down a bank at the speed of the prevailing winds that day.....Needless to say that in any decent wind you usually get just so many casts at a spot before you've drifted past it...sometimes that's several, sometimes that's just a couple.....If I miss a strike I normally can make a couple of follow up casts before its my partners turn to take his try from the back of the boat.....but for some reason we seldom stop or go back to that area later........Even if we catch a fish on a spot, we tend to just keep drifting down the bank rather then stay in that spot awhile longer to see if there might be other fish there.....Although I am gettin a tiny bit better about turning around and spending a few extra minutes at the spot we caught a bass....even if the wind is really strong, but if that doesn't turn up another strike really quick we're back to drift fishin again. Its just too difficult to hold a 16' aluminum can in one spot during gale force winds if ya know what I mean?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.