Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-04-13, 12:39 AM   #1
Colio13
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Prop Suggestion

Hi guys I recently bought a 2005 Triton TR-196 with a newly rebuilt 200 optimax I got it broke in and I run 64 GPS WOT thats with 2 people and 100 -/+ gear and i'm only turning 5100 RPMS Thanks Guys.
Colio13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-13, 05:11 PM   #2
JustinCTPA
BassFishin.Com Member

What kind of prop is on there now? What's the pitch?
JustinCTPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 09:25 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Without some additional information it's difficult to offer a suggestion. Several things will help determine which prop will perform best on a particular boat.
Jack plate - set back and manual or hydraulic?
Prop you are currently running - brand, 3 or 4 blade, and size (pitch)?
Prop height - less important if you have a hydraulic plate.
Does your prop have PVC plugs?

Without knowing the particulars it's hard to make a suggestion. It sounds like you may need to drop a prop size, but that is only a guess without knowing your current set up.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 03:12 PM   #4
Colio13
BassFishin.Com Member

Im turning a 3 blade 26 pitch tempest, manual 6" jackplate, Has PVC plugs I popped 2 of 3 out, Not sure how to measure prop to pad.
Old 06-10-13, 08:09 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Triton's generally like the Mercury/Tempest combination, it's just a matter of finding the right pitch. With the info provided so far, I think I would try to borrow a 25P Tempest and see what happens. I would think you should be able to turn the 26P Tempest, but as mentioned earlier, every boat is a little different and you may run better with the smaller prop. If you can't find a loaner, then "plan B" would be to play with the motor's height, that may also help.

Attached link describes measuring the prop to pad. http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fis...p?topic=1498.0 You should be around 3" below pad to start. Your water pressure should be around 15 - 18 PSI at WOT and it's important to check the water pressure each time you raise the motor and make a run. As long as you don't loose pressure raise the motor 1/4" at a time until you start loosing pressure, the boat gets really squirrely or you find the sweet spot. IF you do not have a WP gauge I would install one before you start playing with the motor height, maintaining WP is a critical consideration when adjusting motor height.

I don't know how familiar you are with Tritons, but at the speed you're now getting you probably haven't experienced chine walk yet, but are pretty close. You may see it start at about 65 - 66 MPH and I only mention it to make you aware of it and to expect it as your top end goes up - as well it should. If you haven't experienced it, it can be a bit unsettling the first time (as I mentioned "squirrely", above) but you'll get used to it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-10-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 12:02 AM   #6
Colio13
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh yeah buddy shes a chinewalker and I haven't been able to measure yet but when I bought my boat the motor had just had a new powerhead put on and my best guess is that they took the motor off and put it back on and they just set it on there you can see where the motor was setting "stock" probably 3"s below stock as water pressure goes I have plenty 36 WOT but I need to learn how to raise the plate change props and get plenty of seat time
Old 06-11-13, 06:11 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
my best guess is that they took the motor off and put it back on and they just set it on there you can see where the motor was setting "stock" probably 3"s below stock
BINGO! Go directly to "plan B", get it back to where it was, run it and then tinker with (fine tune) the height. Triton's like the motor high. Raising the motor is relatively easy (but somewhat labor intensive) on a manual plate - loosen the bolts on each side (my 8" plate has 4 hex-head bolts per side) then turn the nut on top of the jack plate (vertical screw) to raise/lower motor. Just remember to tighten the bolts on the side to lock the JP in place after each adjustment! LOL! It's a tedious process when you're looking for the sweet spot but worth the effort. When you find it mark the sliding side of the jack plate, if the motor is removed in the future you will know where to set it.
Old 06-20-13, 05:29 PM   #8
lilmule

About 3 1/2 below im running a 25P trophy +(three plugs slightly reduced one with a star in the pattern more reduced) on a merc 200 efi,6 in setback im doing 62=63 at 5100 but have lots to go,also mostly running hull down on ky lake,low hrs on motor so havnt run it as yet wot on a 19 ft 1 in stratos.
The trophy+ has more cup and lift.While that tr does walk high sixties is possible.
They told me boat ran 67=68 with a merc 200 but this is fresh rebuild guessing it will do right at 70.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-20-13 at 05:39 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.