Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-11-05, 01:30 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default techniques

i have started out bass fishing with soft plastic worms, but i want to learn jigs and spinnerbaits in '06. should i take all three rods with those baits and fish jigs and spinnerbaits until they arent or stop producing fish and then fish my go-to soft plastics? anything will help.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 01:41 PM   #2
Fishie

Well If I were you I would buy three spinnerbaits to start out with, one white, white chart, and chart and get them in the tandem and just fish them around the banks. As you get more confidence in them start buying some in the colorado etc. Keep it simple. I would recommend buying the cheapo walmarts for a dollar a piece at first. If you lose them who cares.
Old 12-11-05, 01:52 PM   #3
PowerBass

Spinerbaits and Jigs are probably the best bass catchers. However, I only have caught 4 on a jig, but they were all good quality fish 2-3.5 lbers, good for Jersey anyways. Spinnerbaits are one of the most versatile lures. Work them any depth, and speed and you have a surefire bass catcher. However, I know litlle techniques for them, I usually just cast out, and just reel in varying speeds until I find out what fish want.With a jig, I drag it unitl I hit something, then I bounce it until I feel it go over the object. Then ket it sit for up to a minute, then start draggin it again. I use a Medium action rod for spinerbaiting, baitcaster preferably in a 6ft 6in. I use a high speed reel also 6.3:1, for jigs I use a medium heavy spinning rod, with 10-15 lb test the rod is a 6ft one. I like nice short rods for this, because I normally fish from shore, and need some room when I set the hook with low branches.
Old 12-11-05, 01:52 PM   #4
skeeter944

i have a white and a chartreuse white cause walmart stopped carrying the plain chartreuse. i add some weight to them to get down deeper. i hope to fish them more when i get another baitcaster in the spring.
Old 12-11-05, 01:56 PM   #5
skeeter944

i fish the bank alot,too. BassMasters and i are planning on getting a jon boat and his grandpa has a gas powered trolling moter. i have hit BassMasters in the back with a 1/4 ounce bullet sinker trying to avoid branches(he was fine, he just winced a little).i find that it isnt a problem for me cause i usally set the hook wherever branches are absent.
Old 12-12-05, 04:22 AM   #6
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Spinerbaits and Jigs are probably the best bass catchers. However, I only have caught 4 on a jig, but they were all good quality fish 2-3.5 lbers, good for Jersey anyways. Spinnerbaits are one of the most versatile lures. Work them any depth, and speed and you have a surefire bass catcher. However, I know litlle techniques for them, I usually just cast out, and just reel in varying speeds until I find out what fish want.With a jig, I drag it unitl I hit something, then I bounce it until I feel it go over the object. Then ket it sit for up to a minute, then start draggin it again. I use a Medium action rod for spinerbaiting, baitcaster preferably in a 6ft 6in. I use a high speed reel also 6.3:1, for jigs I use a medium heavy spinning rod, with 10-15 lb test the rod is a 6ft one. I like nice short rods for this, because I normally fish from shore, and need some room when I set the hook with low branches.
It sounds like you got technique down pat to me. After all you cant argue with perfection.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 11:06 AM   #7
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Those two baits have been more productive for big fish than any lures I have used on a consistant basis. When I first started to learn these baits I would go fishing day after day and not take any other lure. Win lose or draw that is all I would use. Stranegly I discoverd that these two baits are so versitile that they will catch fish year round. Once I felt confident with my knowledge and ability to catch fish in numerous ways with these baits I moved on to learning something else.
This just gives you two more tools to catch fish with.
This is another point that will encourage you to master these baits. A plastic worm will get more strikes but a jig will consistantly catch bigger fish. Small fish are not as aggressive towards a jig as they are a worm. Crankbaits may cover more water per cast than a spinnerbait but a spinnerbait will penetrate the cover better with out a hang up and has the ability to cover more depths and speeds.Because of this it is a year round bait.
Over the years it has become very clear to me that there are certain baits that catch big fish. The PnJ is one, spinnerbaits, Zara Spooks and jerk baits are others. That does not mean that you cant or wont catch big fish on other lures. These are just higher percentage big fish lures. Fish2win
Old 12-12-05, 07:45 PM   #8
PowerBass

But really what other lure will catch big fish year round? None. It is so versatile and could be worked so many ways.
Old 12-12-05, 08:56 PM   #9
Joe_S.

I Love to throw a Jig and my suggestion is if you want to be really good at a particular bait bring one rod and one style of bait, this will force you to A. use it. and B. Hopefully figure out how to catch fish with it.
Old 12-15-05, 07:54 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Good point Joe. Thats how I forced myself years ago to learn the jnp. All year with 2 rods in the boat. Both 7ft jig rods and 2 brown sacks. One with assorted jigs and the other with assorted trailers. Commitment to fishing and learning a bait takes time, not learned in 1 or 2 days but several seasons. It makes it all worth while when you become that commited and you gain the confidence that you can catch at least 1 fish anytime anywhere when throwing a bait that you have taken the time to learn. Hell look at what KVD has done with a spinnerbait,Denny Brauer with a Jig,David Fritts with a crankbait.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 07:03 AM   #11
Rack98
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Rack98

what are you all talking about when you say pnj i thought it was peanutbutter n jelly.. lol
Rack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 07:19 AM   #12
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack98
what are you all talking about when you say pnj i thought it was peanutbutter n jelly.. lol
u can call peanutbutter n jelly if u want. to non rednecks it easer to say pnj
Old 12-16-05, 07:59 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

LOL! When we say pnj we are talkin bout pigs-n-jigs.....unless its dinner time then its peanutbutter and jelly.
Old 12-16-05, 10:00 AM   #14
Joe_S.

Maybe it's a Northern thing but I go the opposite with Jig n Pig, the term stems form the "Jig" and back in the day the majority of trailers used were pork therefore called pig.

Old 12-16-05, 11:07 AM   #15
skeeter944

do yall reccomend trimming the jig skirt to 1/4 of an inch? i know to trim the brush guard. what size trailer do yall reccomend? i know black trailers to black or black/blue. i also know to use green pumpkin with green pumpkin jigs. thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-16-05, 12:39 PM   #16
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

In the North jigs aren't as popular because they don't catch a lot of bass. But they catch quality. Spinnerbaits in the North you get more size range with. Spinnerbaits can range from big bass or small. Soft Plastics are a really good Northern bait. I prefer tubes or 4in worms. A senko if the soft plastics aren't working.

But remember sometimes smaller baits catch the big fish. I have caught a 5lb bass on a 1/64 panfish grub and a 5lb 3oz bass with a 2.5 in tube made by venom.
Old 12-16-05, 12:54 PM   #17
Joe_S.

Most of the time I pull the skirt tight against the jig and trim it just below the hook, I also thin out the weedgaurd and trim the length of it just to the tip of the hook.
Old 12-16-05, 03:30 PM   #18
skeeter944

what kind of jig is that,joe?
Old 12-16-05, 03:33 PM   #19
skeeter944

oh,by the way,i didnt know you made soft plastics! your website is awsome!
Old 12-16-05, 05:07 PM   #20
Joe_S.

Thanks Skeeter, appreciate it.

It's a pj's flipping jig 3/8 oz green pumpkin.
www.pjlures.com very nice jigs at a good price, I've used tons over the years and have stoppped searching for something better when I found out about these.
Old 12-16-05, 05:15 PM   #21
PowerBass

When someone say PNJ in skool, I always think of the jig.
Old 12-16-05, 07:14 PM   #22
bass kicker

i would start off try ing the stuff you have never used before and then if that doesnt work go to the plastics
Old 12-17-05, 01:16 AM   #23
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
i would start off try ing the stuff you have never used before and then if that doesnt work go to the plastics
The problem doing that is you never learn the new technique. I threw a jig-n-pig literally for years before i started catching fish on them. That first fish makes all the difference. You get confidence in them, and in bass fishing confidence is everything.
Old 12-17-05, 12:03 PM   #24
Fish2win

I think that one problem that many new guys have with the PnJ is that they relate it to fishing a worm. Sometimes the bass will hit the bait when it is dragged or droped but I believe it is more of an object bait and works best when it is presented to that rock or stump or blow down.I think that more often than not bass think it is a crawfish but I also believe there are times they think it is a blue gill or some type minnow.Over all I think I have caught more fish with it by presenting it directly into heavy cover. I do know one thing for sure.The average size fish that I have caught has been bigger than on a worm or grub.Somethimes they want you to swim it like a gub.
Back in the old days when worms first came about they were fished primarily on lead heads. Many anglers adapted the worm as a trailor on a jig. We call that rig a Jig and eel. We would put them both hair jigs and later rubber jigs and fish them real deep like 20 to 30 feet.That is a method that has fallen by the way side for me but I bet it will still produce.
I had to adapt to using pork as a trailor instead of a worm especially a pork frog. The original pork I used was called a bass strip and was simply a pork eel that was very thin.
The true atraction is the jig not the pork. The jig will work with a lot oif different bait used with it. Things to try as a trailor are twin tail grubs, single tail grubs. Worms on all sizes and shapes. Pork of all sizes and shapes,as well as live minnows.
Here in Tennessee a lot of smallmouth guys use a jig and minnow in the winter for Smallies. The bass will hit that faster and better than a jig and ?.
What is you best method of working a PnJ? Fish2win
Old 12-18-05, 06:46 AM   #25
1FASTLASER

Very good point Fish2Win. Never thought of putting it the way you did but you hit the nail on the head. The jig is MUCH better when used to throw at a particular objest (now I'm not saying I havent caught fish when just covering water). Yes you normally will catch a better quality fish as compared to other baits. I stronly beleive it goes back to the old saying Big lure Big fish, especially in the winter when a bass needs to fill its gut while expending as little energy as possible.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.