Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-04-05, 07:02 PM   #1
seaphantom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom
Default jigging for hawgs

hi,

I just got myself a good combo w/ 20lb braid (Spiderwire Stealth). I'm rigging it with a 3/8 oz football head jig or regular head jig (I have both), with a black and blue skirt. I also bought some blue Uncle Josh pork trailers & blue salted crawfish plastics.

With consideration of the above, could anyone cue me in on how to successfully bass fish with what I have?

Has anyone used the same thing? If so, how did you catch 'em?

seaphantom
Old 12-04-05, 07:54 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

black trailers

zooker
Old 12-04-05, 09:03 PM   #3
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

white jigs and trailers are great for swimin the jig
Old 12-04-05, 09:37 PM   #4
Rodman_Rob

pitch or flip it tight to cover and/or in deep water.
Old 12-04-05, 09:52 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Seaphantom, my favorite way to fish a jig is around flooded timber. If I have a flooded treetop so much the better-I throw it over the tree and bring it back through the branches, letting it fall over each one. I pretty much fish them the same places I fish a T-rig. Let the water temp dictate the speed-the colder the water, the slower you fish it.
Old 12-05-05, 11:34 AM   #6
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had good luck this fall/winter pitching that jig combo. Black and blue 1/2 oz jig with a blueberry super chunk trailer. I've been fishing it in murky water over flooded tree tops, and fallen trees. I try to bump off everything I can, and then pause it right after the bump. I have not been catching a lot of numbers with it, but I have been catching bigger fish on it. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or not.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 12:35 PM   #7
Joe_S.

My favorite techniques:

I personally fish a jig and pig as a crayfish imitator only therefore I think to myself what the traits of a crayfish are. They crawl on the bottom and burrow under rocks or debris on the bottom of the lake.

When I make a cast I let the bait sink, you must always watch your line, a lot of times they will hit it on the initial fall and your line will either twitch, stop before it should, or start going sideways, when this happens reel up the slack and set the hook. If the bait makes it to the bottom I will wait about 3 or 4 seconds and then drag it about 6-8 inches (Right now he’s just cruising on the bottom), then pause, after 3-4 seconds drag again, and repeat this. Once I feel any obstruction, I pause then shake without dragging, I feel this simulates the crayfish trying to burrow under whatever obstacle it just bumped into. Then I give it 2 quick very short snaps, this would simulate the crayfish fleeing from a predator, then let it hit bottom and repeat the whole process. A lot of times right after the pause when you go to drag again it will feel heavy, set the hook. Hook sets are free, If you haven’t fished a jig a lot , it takes time before you can get a really good handle on determining fish bites from obstructions. Practice makes perfect and when in doubt set the hook.

That's for mostly open water hump style fishing and beating a bank. In cover I like to throw it in the nastiest stuff possible and shake it around then repeat casting to it (pretty much pick it to pieces.)

Don't ever think there is such a thing as to shallow, I use to cast to about a foot off shore till a guy on the back of my boat beat me bad, the fish were in that spot right on the bank, now I cast to were I'm pretty much hitting the shoreline.

Those are just a few of the ways I fish a jig that have been very successful for me. It’s always good to try new techniques whether you use any of the above or create your own, it’s good to experiment.
Old 12-05-05, 08:46 PM   #8
bass kicker

thanx im a beginner to using jig as well that will help me out as well
Old 12-05-05, 09:16 PM   #9
JB

I usually use black pork or sometimes black and blue, and always make cuts in the pork to make it more flexible,
You can
thin the body in half from the middle to the hook hole,
as well as making slits in the pork for more flexiblity

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 09:42 PM   #10
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I usually use black pork or sometimes black and blue, and always make cuts in the pork to make it more flexible,
You can
thin the body in half from the middle to the hook hole,
as well as making slits in the pork for more flexiblity

I dont recommend putting a knife anywhere near a pig like that. They can be very mean. It might bite you if you poke him with a knife.
Old 12-06-05, 08:15 PM   #11
bass kicker

i would try swimin the jiggs though the thick stuff
Old 12-08-05, 09:02 AM   #12
fat bass

flip it and pitch it
Old 12-11-05, 06:19 AM   #13
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are new to jig fishing you will need to develop a feel for it. Most guys usually start out fishing with soft plastics because they are relatively easy to learn to use. Then they hear jigs produce more quality sized fish in a more consistent manner. So then its JIG TIME!!!
Advancing from soft plastics to jigs can be a frustrating experience due to taking the necessary time to develop the correct feel for fishing them. Most likely when starting out you will think you are wasting your time with the jig. You will always be tempted to put the jig rod down and pick your worming combo back up. After all using a worm is much easier.
The most practical way to learn to use a jig is to leave all other baits at home and only take a box of jigs. Reason being when you get out there you will have no choice but to start using the jigs and stick with them.
The way to learn what it feels like when a fish hits a jig is to set the hook on anything and everything that feels "odd" at the end of your line. Sometimes you wont feel anything at all other than a "not right" kind of resistance at the end of your line. This will be something that you havent the slightest idea what it is. When this happens it is definitely time to set the hook.

Last edited by WidowMaker; 12-11-05 at 06:31 AM.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 07:04 PM   #14
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Thanks alot widowmaker, im new to jigs also. Everyones help has been great. I just bought some jigs and trailers the other day. Cant wait to try em.
Old 12-11-05, 07:16 PM   #15
skeeter944

i am new to jigs, also and i intend to get some more black/blue jigs in 1/4 of an ounce through 1/2 an ounce.i'm gonna' git some craw trailers in either black or black/blue.i am also gonna git another 6'6''medium-heavy baitcaster for them.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 04:15 AM   #16
WidowMaker
BassFishin.Com Member

If you want to know anything about jig fishing.....ask Joe. If you had a dollar for everyone hes threw you could probably make a down payment on a new Ranger.
WidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 11:41 AM   #17
skeeter944

who is joe??
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 05:35 PM   #18
rrw4258

joe. s
duh...
Old 12-14-05, 07:49 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Seaphantom

Most bass hit the jig on the initial fall. What I mean is alot but not always once the jig falls into the cover jig it a couple times and move on. Thats the beauty of the jig. You can cover alot of water and dissect it and get into there living rooms with a jig. Alot of people think jig fishing is slow. I cover alot of water that people miss while there throwing spinnerbaits cranks or whatever. Where they will throw a spinnerbait down a laydown I will hit every branch on the laydown. I have fished behind other people with a jig that where throwing a different bait and caught fish that they missed because they wherent there long enough for the fish to bite. Another thing is dont get discouraged. It takes a while to develop the feel of jig fishing because they dont always hit hard sometimes its just a mushy feeling, or all of a sudden the jig stops falling at 4ft whe your fishing 8ft of water. Several differnt types of jig bite is what I am saying.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 10:06 AM   #20
Joe_S.

QUOTE: or all of a sudden the jig stops falling at 4ft whe your fishing 8ft of water.

Excellent point, One thing I always do is make sure I know the depth of the water that I am fishing, Normally a 3/8 oz jig takes approximately 1 to 1-1/2 seconds to sink per foot. I count it down on every cast, it may seem redundant but after a while it is just second nature. and if that line stops sinking before your count gets to where it should be reel up any slack and give a quick feel, if it stops way before your count should Most likely it is a fish, Now one thing that makes a difference is when your casting into deep cover, say a sunken tree, usually your line will stay sort of taught if it is over a limb or something, all these things will come to you over time, patience, patience, patience, When I first started I use to get frustrated and it didn't seem like I was ever going to catch a fish on a jig, but weirdly enough it seems once you get a good one or two, something unlocks and the door is wide open, now That's pretty much all I use because of the versatility of it, you can fish it any where at any time, and so many ways.
Old 12-15-05, 06:47 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Joe S.

Dont know if anyone has seen the spot on BassCenter where Kim Stricker has done some underwater footage of someone fishing and actually seeing a bass hit a lure as it is falling and the fisherman NEVER even knowing that the lure has become a meal until its to late and the fisherman realizes that Whoops that was a bass. Along time ago I had a old timer whipping my a@@ because he was counting down his jig and the bass where just kinda opening there mouth and sitting there with it. At the time I didnt realize how in the he@@ he was outfishing me that badly. He finally told me what he was doing and I started to catch as many as he was. All comes down to the point of concentrating on what you are doing and being as aware as possible of what your lure is doing or should be doing. Kinda like spinnerbait fishing. There have been times when I have been fishing a spinnerbait and I can actually tell that a bass is about to hit in a split second. You become one with the spinnerbait and you know what it feels like then all of a sudden ...the blades are still spinning but the bait gets real easy to pull. Thats the point at which a bass has moved up to the bait and just opened his mouth to take the lure in and you get that feel. Alot of people have laughed at me but when they are on that type of bite...a charging bite is what I call it...they are moving so fast to take the bait that they keep coming to you....I have proved to several people that this is possible.
Old 12-15-05, 09:42 AM   #22
Joe_S.

Yep I saw both the shows, and that just exemplifies (sp) the point of counting and knowing the depth, I was also very pleased to see when they showed the crayfish on the bottom, I beleive it was the second show, they showed it crawling then shooting across the bottom, it was basically exactly how I described my favorite technique on my web page, I was verey excited to see that I was pretty much right on with mimicking the action
Old 12-16-05, 07:24 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

Makes me wish I knew how to dive so I could get into a basses house and watch how he reacts to different senarios. Gotta find out where to get this Kim Stricker video. From the small amounts that we where able to see there is ALOT of valuable information on these. The footage of the craw was EXCELLANT and would show new comers to pnj's more on how to fish a jig and more closely mimic the craw's movements.
Old 12-16-05, 09:55 AM   #24
Joe_S.

Yeah I haven't seen where to get it either, but I remember them saying it would be available for Christmas

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.