Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-04, 12:18 PM   #1
WaterWolf_MN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Power trim aint working

I can trim my Johnson down,but I cant trim it up.Im a 13 year old and I dont know what to do.My dad says its oil,but I dont think its that;maby a loose wire.Im in dire need of help.
WaterWolf_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 04:23 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Power trim aint working

there's a relay for up and a relay for down...you probably have a bad relay..i've seen it on a few OMC's.i have a suzuki so i down have those problems ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:17 PM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

You will. Give it time.

Sounds like a trim relay as Tom said. They're easy to replace, and releativly inexpensive. You can get them at any OMC dealer, or at NAPA.

Also, I'm not sure what Johnson you have, but there is usually a bleed valve somewhere around the middle of the outboard. There are a couple of semi-circles with holes in them that the outboard moves between when you're trimmed down. You'll find the trim rods in this area. The rods that push against the engine to push it out. If you follow those arched pieces to the boat, you'll find a slotted valve on one side or the other. That is the manual bleed valve. You loosen that with a screwdriver SLOWLY, and the engine will come down. Close the valve off to stop the engine from falling faster or further than you want.

Same thing if you can't trim up. Probably a relay. You would open that valve and grab the outboard by the skeg, and lift it manually, closing the valve to hold it. Do NOT trust the hydralic system to hold it. Us the tilt bracket.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 08:40 AM   #4
kentuckybasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kentuckybasser

if it is a relay, how to you fix it?
kentuckybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 11:11 AM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

It is a relay. Â*(If it works one way but not the other, the pump is ok.) Â* As stated above, there are two of them. Â*One for up and one for down. Â*There is no "fixing" them, they have to be replaced. Â*They're on the side of the powerhead. Â*You can probably trace the wires from the trim pump back to them, or from the trim switch. Â*They're easy to replace. Â*You can get them at any Johnson dealer, or you can usually get them at a NAPA store. Â*The NAPA might have to order them, but they can get them. Â*

It's a good idea to replace both of them. Â*If one went bad, the other one is waiting to bite you in the butt. Â*

Save the "good" one for an emergency. Â*This is one of the few things you can fix "on the water" if you have the part and the tool. Â*Do NOT do this over deep water. Â*I promise you WILL drop a screw. Â*Back up to the bank where you can find the screw if you ever have too. Â*Same with changing out a prop. Â*You have not seen sad until you see someone drop a $500.00 prop overboard in 30 or 40 feet of water. Â*

(Buy the way. Â*NAPA carries a lot of parts for outboards. Â*They have a catalog of marine parts as big as a Bass Pro Shops catalog. Â*Usually cheaper, and as qood a quality as original.)

It's a good idea to have a repair manual for your engine. Â*You can get one from most any dealer. Â*They show you step by step how to do most any repair up to and including a full rebuild. Â*Well worth the cost.
Old 07-16-04, 10:59 PM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks a lot cajun...the down solenoid on my tilt&trim took a sh**. :-/
does NAPA have suzuki tilt solenoids?
Old 07-17-04, 09:09 AM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Just give 'em a call and ask Tom. Â*I've only gotten Mercury Parts but I know they carry them for OMC and even a lot of "oddballs" like Wizards and such. Â*I would think those relay switches are pretty much universal. Â*The ones I got for an OMC 150, looked just like the ones for a Mercury. Â*

Or check with NAPA's online site. Â*I think it's napaonline.com
Old 07-17-04, 02:32 PM   #8
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks cajun
my dealer was open and he had 2 on the shelf.i bought both of them.and a transom saver,lost mine up on route 80 on the way to marina.
2 relays.........................$180.00
transom saver.................$49.95

on the water again..............PRICELESS

i am up and running again,looks like i'll make that tourney tomorrow after all ;D
Old 07-17-04, 08:26 PM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Man! Â*They like them things don't they? Â*I think I paid about 25 bucks for the last ones I got for my Johnny/Rude 150 a few years ago. Â*Turns out I didn't need them. Â*Still got 'em somewhere around the house. Â*

Of course if you need 'em and they got 'em, and you want 'em, you gotta pay the price. Like you said if it got you back on the water, it's a bargin.

The only "power trim" my Mercury 20 hp has is my old back and right arm. Â*

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.