Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-27-04, 08:11 PM   #1
jman534
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jman534
Default Merc Force 9.9

I just bought this used motor yesterday with only 30 hours on it. Looks like it's right out of the factory. So now my jon boat is complete.
Anyway, the guy who sold me the motor pulled out the spec sheet which compared the 9.9 with the 15. The specs were identical except for the carburetion & the prop ( the 15 prop was smaller). My question is, is there some kind of a governor on the carb which retards the RPM's on the 9.9?
I heard that some guys have 15's & buy 9.9 stickers so they don't break the HP Regs on some lakes. How true?
OK, Jack, Reb & Cajun, you're up.
jman534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 10:06 PM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Merc Force 9.9

JOISEY,

Â* Â* I think the total venturi of the carburetor is smaller to restrict the air flow thru the carb, thereby reducing the horsepower. I think there may be some timing difference also.
Â* Â* It is like Mercury using the same cubic inch block on the 150, 175 and 200 HP motors.
Â* Â* You might need to talk to a Merc mechanic, and possibly he could tell you the difference.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 11:07 PM   #3
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassGizmo

I believe the only diff. is the carb. Many guys around here changed the carb and left their stickers the same. that was a very common thing with the 9.9 max hp limit but now on that lake they can use up to 20 hp.
I would talk to your merc. dealer, they will be able to answer all your questions. from what i heard from several guys is that its very easy to change the 9.9 to the 15.
BassGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-04, 11:36 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Jersey_Joe link=board=Boats;num=1083107498;start=0#0 date=04/27/04 at 19:11:38]
I heard that some guys have 15's & buy 9.9 stickers so they don't break the HP Regs on some lakes. Â*How true?
OK, Jack, Reb & Cajun, you're up.[/quote]

Who me . I would never do that , mine just doesn't say anything . I wonder how that happened :-X.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-04, 06:25 AM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Yes, it can be done. There is a place in Portsmouth, Virginia, Bill's Marine that I know does it all the time. http://www.billsmarineinc.com/index.asp

I'm sure that any Mercury dealer can do it, (or any brand really) I just know that Bill's sort of makes it pretty clear on one of the boards I visit that they do. http://www.bassjons.com/ (Great site for those of you who do fish the small boat/motor world.) So they could probably tell you what you need.

The only question I have is "is it really worth it?" You're only going to go so fast. Even with a 20 hp on my boat I don't run rings around the guys I see who have a 9.9. I'm faster, but not twice as fast. (I admit I also carry a lot of weight.) If it was my money, I'd keep it in my pocket and buy more baits.

I doubt the law would bother you if you souped a 9.9 up to make a 15 out of it, but I know around here the game wardens are onto the old "put a set of 9.9 decales on a 15 " trick. They check the ID numbers.

I love HP restricted lakes. I wish they were 25 HP (I've got a 20) <lol> But I still love them even if I have to use just my electric motors. No water skiers, no jet skis, no pleasure boats riding up and down the lake just to make a wake. What's NOT to love? Around here most of the lakes with a HP restriction are less than 1000 acers so you can get around them fine with a big electric and a couple of good batteries.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-04, 09:13 AM   #6
spinnerb8

yea they mod 9.9 motors all the time..they also stand behind their work...go herehttp://www.billsmarineinc.com/ and ask for Bobby....he should be able to tell you everything you need to know....
Old 04-28-04, 08:27 PM   #7
jman534
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jman534

Thanx you guys
I'm not gonna mess around with it, but I was just curious.
Cajun, I'm absolutely with you. Since I don't do tourney's I'm in no particular hurry to get anywhere.
Lizards, I don't know nuttin!!!
jman534 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.