Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-04-04, 02:14 AM   #1
Cool_Rebel
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cool_Rebel
Default questions on buying a used bass boat

Hello all, I am looking at buying a used bass boat. I want to spend maybe up to $8,500. I would like an engine with 150+ hp. A good fiberglass hull. I have seen some 1986-1994 for around that price. How do I check blue book (or is there such a thing)?

I want to make sure that the engine is good and will last. How do I determine that? What all should I look for to make sure that I get a good boat and engine, and a good deal? I appreciate all replies and help. Thank you, christian.
Cool_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-04, 09:39 AM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: questions on buying a used bass boat

Christian, Here is a nada book for boats ,that should get you in the ball park. nada book Â*I would have a compression check on the cylinders, have a pressure check done on the lower unit to make sure the seals aren't bad. look for lower unit skag damage and look at the prop for signs of damage.There is no guarrantees on anything, If the motor had proper operation or how maintainence was kept up or how many hours are on it.Some boats have hour meters on them but that is still only as reliable as the person selling the boat. I hope this helps Â* ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-04, 04:26 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a dealership not an indvidual would be the best way to go. they have to stand behind what they sell.
and some will finace your boat i have had my boat for over two years and have over 1000 hours on it.
zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-04, 06:02 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Ask the seller to take it to a reputable shop of your choosing. Â*(fine the shop in advance) Â*Ask them to check out the engine. Â*They'll know what to look for, but the list PnJ gave you is pretty good. Â* This will cost an hour of so labor rate. Â*

Tell the seller, if everything checks out, you will pay for the check. Â*If the check turns up something seriously wrong with it, he pays. Â*(You'll have to determine what you consider "serious" in advance. Â*Figure a price you'd be willing to pay to have something fixed. Â*A "line in the sand, at which point you'd say "no deal". Agree on this in advance with the seller. ("If it's going to cost more than X it's no dea.&quot Â*Minor things can be used to dicker over the price.) If the seller balks at this. Â*Run. Â*Don't walk. Â*RUN from the deal.

The biggest thing to check on the boat itself is the transom. Â*If the boat has wood in the transom, and water gets in the wood can rot. Â*That doesn't mean a wooden transom is bad. Â*Just something to be aware of. Â*Again the shop should check that, but make sure they do. Â*

Now. Â*A good rule of thumb is the general condition of the boat. Â*Has it been taken care of? Â*Is it clean? Â*Does it look as if the owner took any pride in it at all. Â*If it's filthy, and full of leaves, and he's trying to sell it to you, you can bet he didn't take care of it from day one. Â*Get down under the boat and look for scratches, an pieces of gel coat knocked out. Â*How about the trailer? Â*Does it have a lot of rust on it? Â*How about the wheels? Â*Same thing. Â*Tires ok? Â*If the tires look to be dry rotted, and they're worn in any kind of a unusual pattern, you can start to wonder about other things. Â*Check the skeg and the prop as PnJ said. Â*Are there big chunks missing? Â*Paint sandblasted off isn't necessarly a bad thing. Â*Pieces missing are.

Does everything on the boat work? Â*Livewell pumps, bilge pumps, instruments, gauges, depth finders, switches, lights, etc. Â*If that kind of stuff works, you have an indication that the owner took care of his boat. Â*If the livewell pump doesn't work, you wonder "what else doesn't"? Â*

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Â*Does the engine turn smoothly without excessive effort? Â*If it's hard to steer setting on the trailer, what's it going to be like on the water when you're fighting propeller torque? Â*

Does the trolling motor work? Â*Does the TM steering work? Â*You can check this by turning the motor housing and seeing if the foot pedal moves. Â*Does the directional arrow on the head of the motor point the direction that the motor is pointing? Â*If not it could indicate that it hit something hard at one time. Â*Is the shaft bent? Â*Pull the Â*prop (on both motors actually) and check for fishing line behind them. Â*If there is the seals could be bad. Â*

How about the batteries? Â*Are the terminals clean, or covered with corrosion? Â*Tied down? Â*or just stuck back there? Â*How old are they? Â*Frankly I'd buy new ones anyway, but again if the battery compartment is clean and looks as if it's been maintained, it gives you an idea of how well the seller took care of his boat.

I guess that's enough rambling. Â*If I think of anything I'll let you know.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-04, 06:59 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Christian, Get Cajun to go with you.He is correct but also look for stress cracks in front of the consolein the top part of the boat, The big waters here it is common for them to crack in that area from flexing from being run out on big waves.Cajun covered everything else pretty well. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.