Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-19-04, 05:33 AM   #1
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown
Default the fall turnover

The fishing in the fall of the year can be a love hate relationship. It can be great, but then again it can leave you stumped, scratching your head wondering where all those summertime bass went that you had patterned. A lot of this has to do with the fall turnover. When warm summertime surface temps cool, and mix with the deep water with low oxygen levels, fishing can get tough. One myth that a lot of people believe is that fish stop feeding during this period of time. While some fish may not feed during this time, a higher percentage will feed very actively. The problem with this is that the feeding fish will be so scattered it will make them hard to find, and finding a group of feeding bass is almost impossible. My solution to the fall turnover is one that most anglers will love. Go shallow. A lot of the bass that were deep a day or two ago, can and will go shallow and feed aggresively during this odd time. They will be very scattered though. Use baits that cover a lot of water. A spinnerbait is my number one bait this time of year. Set the trolling motor on high, and cast until your arm hurts, lol. Because water clarity is usually darker during the turnover, I will go with a tandem blade bait, usually two colorado's in a slightly larger size. Not too big, maybe 3/8 to 1/2oz. 1/2oz being the biggest and only used in the darkest of water. If you pick up a bass cast again for good measure, but don't spend too much time on one spot, odds are the bass are going to be very solitary this time of year, or at least during the turnover. After the turnover, bass will school heavily, and make it a bit easier for us poor fishermen, LOL. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 08:51 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: the fall turnover

Well I'm experiencing this now at the coal pit. No concentration of fish, and few and far between for my liking. Actually I spent 1/2 of sunday, and 1/2 of monday(in the pouring rain I might add with mid 50 temps) working the coal pit, and caught a dozen between the 2 days. They were from 12"-18" in length. Mostly worked cranks though, as I was practicing with them and some techniques I'm trying to get down. Good article mt 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 06:02 PM   #3
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

The turnover is gone. The bass are schooling. They are feeding for the winter.

If you want to catch bass, now is the time to go.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 06:49 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
1/2 of monday(in the pouring rain I might add with mid 50 temps)
Now that is the sign of a dedicated bass fisherman. You have done well, grasshopper ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 09:06 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1098174785;start=0#3 date=10/19/04 at 17:49:25]

Now that is the sign of a dedicated bass fisherman. You have done well, grasshopper ;D[/quote]

You know everyone today that has found out I was fishing yesterday look at me like I'm completely insane(the doctors will have to make that decision) Those folks that don't hunt or fish think we are all crazy for pursuing our Fun activities. I will be out in colder rain than that, possibly some snow flying and still fishing. All they say is how could you sit out in the rain for hours with it that cold. I respond saying I have clothes for it, and I'm not sitting around I'm Bassin 8) Heck Tom fishes right through the hard water, what is a little snow to me here

Lizards
Old 10-19-04, 11:43 PM   #6
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I know what you're talking about lizards. I'll go bassin in the frigid days in fl, when its a freezing cold 55degrees. ;D Seriously, you guys have got to come down here this winter and fish some of the lakes around here, heck the retention ponds are awesome too.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 12:50 AM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
You know everyone today that has found out I was fishing yesterday look at me like I'm completely insane(the doctors will have to make that decision) Â*Those folks that don't hunt or fish think we are all crazy
We are crazy. Â*That's half the fun! Â*I always say I don't fish for fish-I fish for fishin'. Â*That makes no sense to a lot of folks who don't fish, but just about everybody here knows exactly what I mean. We can go out, fish all day in miserable weather, not get one single hit, and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 02:29 AM   #8
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

I have a little philosophy on my fishing “if everything is going the way you like your not gonna catch any fish”

;D
So now I like it when things do not go the way I want it to go which means …. Even if thing are going wrong there going the way I want them to go meaning I won’t be catching any fish anyway. :-/

I mean all this in the funny sense, it's not really as depressing as it sounds
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 02:32 AM   #9
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

On the turnover thing.....
I have read that the turnover wont take place at once in a whole body of water so if you see pieces of algea and stinky stuff floating on or in the water that is a clear sign of the turnover taking place, it should then be worth while to move on a bit to a different location where the turnover is either over or not yet happening.
dont know about this what you oke's think?
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 04:04 PM   #10
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Lizardsrule,

I'm with you on that comment you made. Her in NC we fish 12 months out of the year. In the winter (I mean highs of 40 at the most) were out there trying to find bass. Normally, we won't catch many, but alot of others are sitting at home. Makes the water alot less crowded.

Rebbasser, same here, always have fun. Thats what all the clothes are for. If you don't need them then thats ok, but when you do , then you've got 'em with you.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 11:58 PM   #11
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Good to hear so many people go back to sayin "Its Fun", I can go out and not catch a thing and stii have fun tryin. Dont know about the snow and ice stuff though, Im crazy but there are limits.....Bloods to thin. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 09:49 AM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

flf
if you'd lived up here,you would put up with lots of nasty weather to go fishing.
i've been in white outs on the ice and my boat.the snow came down so heavy you can't see 10 ft ahead of you.
i've had to throw my anchor ahead of the boat to break the ice so i could fish.had a coleman stove in one of my old boats,didn't help much.
been out ice fishing all day only to find the ice was melted around the edges and had to jump to land.
when the ice was too thick to break but not safe,walked around the lake casting to open areas of water.cast to the ice,bring it to the edge,let the jig fall to the bottom.
and i've always caught bass and had fun.
i would say my addiction is out of control
that's just the way it is up north.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 07:16 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree with bassman
i have friends who ride there jet skis all summer-they don't fish. then they have the nerve to say" i anit right"when i go running acrossed the lake in 20 degree temps.but i will state with out fear of repriasle. there anit to many jet skier's out on the lake then.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 03:21 PM   #14
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Amen to that , Zooker.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-04, 09:58 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Went back out Yesterday for a couple of hours, and still have the floating debris/crap. How long does it Normally take for the turnover to complete itself? I realize it can be completely different on each body of water. But on an average time wise how long?

Lizards
Old 10-26-04, 12:43 AM   #16
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1098174785;start=0#11 date=10/21/04 at 08:49:41]flf
if you'd lived up here,you would put up with lots of nasty weather to go fishing.
i've been in white outs on the ice and my boat.the snow came down so heavy you can't see 10 ft ahead of you.
i've had to throw my anchor ahead of the boat to break the ice so i could fish.had a coleman stove in one of my old boats,didn't help much.
been out ice fishing all day only to find the ice was melted around the edges and had to jump to land.
when the ice was too thick to break but not safe,walked around the lake casting to open areas of water.cast to the ice,bring it to the edge,let the jig fall to the bottom.
and i've always caught bass and had fun.
i would say my addiction is out of control
that's just the way it is up north.[/quote]

you took your boat ice fishing?
How is that? did u like use the trolling motor the whole time, or was ice covering only small certain spots of the lake? I'm kinda curious of how you even got your boat into the water to begin with...

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 08:54 AM   #17
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

normally i wouldn't respond to your questions,but since this may help others i will.
i guess you could say i take my boat ice fishing,because ice is covering the lake but what i do is keep backing the trailer into the water to break up the ice around the ramp.i do use the trolling motor,but i have to go slow and keep tossing the anchor ahead of the boat to break up the ice.
sometimes the lake isn't completely frozen and i can go around the large patches of ice.
one time i had to bust my way thru the thinner part of the ice on one side of the lake to get to the other side.the wind blew the huge ice sheet against the ramp.i had to bust my way around to the ramp side and actually push about 15 acres of ice away from the ramp so i could get my boat back on the trailer.
my buddy saw me out there and all he could see was solid ice,had him baffled as to how i even got out there.
and i did catch some nice bass in the 3 to 5 lb range.
Old 10-26-04, 07:52 PM   #18
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

normally i wouldn't respond to your story but WOW.

15 acres

you sure are a good story teller bassintom
Old 10-26-04, 08:39 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

seaphantom
are you upset cuz i blocked you from my AIM.too bad little boy.go cry on your momma's shoulder.afraid to use your name when posting?
Old 10-26-04, 11:44 PM   #20
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=bassintom link=board=news;num=1098174785;start=0#18 date=10/26/04 at 19:39:35]seaphantom
are you upset cuz i blocked you from my AIM.too bad little boy.go cry on your momma's shoulder.afraid to use your name when posting?[/quote]

Hmm, bassintom, please get this through into your mind.
IceCracker, or whatever his name is is NOT me ;D
And umm... upset?? you must be out of your mind...

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-04, 05:29 AM   #21
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

The fall turnover is an odd thing, and a damn aggrevating thing at that. I am experiencing it now, but instead of it continuing to be cool weather, it has heated back up into the high 80's, lol, I think god is against me sometimes, lol. Anyway, if the air continues to cool, along with the water the turnover can last a week, to several weeks. It takes the fish a while to get used to the new oxygen levels. it also takes a while for the fish to get used to the cooler water.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 11:12 PM   #22
lilfish1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lilfish1

during turn over fish may be scattered but if you can find the baitfish, you will find bass. Also, I have found over the years you can hardly ever go wrong by fishing main lake points during turn over.
lilfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.