Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-03-10, 05:01 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Youth Bass Fishing Club

Well hey guys.
I've been into fishing tournaments all the way for the past half year or so because I bought myself a little aluminum boat.

I'm wondering if I should join a youth club or something like BASS Youth Federation or FLW.
What do you recommend I join?

Thanks.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 05:06 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well how old are you? btw, my birth day is feb. 4th too!

I would recommend just doing a local thing if you're new, get the whole feel of things a little better before you go spending bigger bucks in BASS or FLW.

What ever the case, make sure to carpet the boat like in they have in the big rigs. It'll cut down on the noise transferred from the boat (foot steps, rods, dropping stuff) to the water.
Old 01-03-10, 05:10 PM   #3
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you are in the Orlando area there is Teen Sportfishing Association. They meet at Gander Mountain in Lake Mary every Wednesday in their conference room. I used to fish their once a month tournaments but they had no prizes besides a plastic trophy and a 20 dollar entry fee so now I fish Legacy and Courtesy Anglers and Central Florida Bass Anglers. But i would do FLW if I were you.
Old 01-03-10, 05:11 PM   #4
jooleyen

Nice! haha. I'm 15 going on 16. The thing is I've got a feel for tournaments and I'm willing to spend big bucks. + I have a 16' fiberglass being worked on for spring time.
Now FLW or BASS is the question. Pros, cons? Or another organization?

Oh, I'm in Wisconsin.
Old 01-03-10, 06:01 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Nice! haha. I'm 15 going on 16. The thing is I've got a feel for tournaments and I'm willing to spend big bucks. + I have a 16' fiberglass being worked on for spring time.
Now FLW or BASS is the question. Pros, cons? Or another organization?

Oh, I'm in Wisconsin.
Ha! Me too! 15, going on 16!

I would say BASS. I think they have a better mag (something I'm sure will come with once you join), and you'll have a much better chance to meat the big guys, like KVD and skeet.
Old 01-03-10, 06:20 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

FLW has been the fastest growing in the past few years, and correct me if I'm wrong but haven't they awarded more prize money per year then BASS?

Personally I would go join the FLW. And that has nothing to do with me starting FLW college fishing this year.
Old 01-03-10, 06:46 PM   #7
3dkicker

I've been a Junior Team Sponsor in both organizations. You'll need to see what groups exist in your state and their locations. Both groups in VA have 3 qualifying events and a state championship. FLW has most of their events in the south side of the state and BASS is normally central and west which makes it hard on my team which is north east. Each junior membership is $20 per year and you probably can do both if you want. Check out the state websites and contact the youth coordinators and talk to them.
Old 01-03-10, 06:55 PM   #8
rrw4258

Starting to tournament fish is not about spending big bucks but about learning from the coangler side. Last year I joined a local bass club and have learned so much about the ethics of tournaments and these guys are very nice, willing to take you under their wing and show you new techniques and other cool stuff. Our tournaments are $20 for entry fee, $5 optinal big bass pot, and $10 goes to your boater for gas... $35 for a tournament. I suggest starting small and working your way up.

Ryan
Old 01-04-10, 12:06 AM   #9
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In my opinion a half a year of tournament experience isn't enough to jump right into some big time fishing like the FLW. Yes they do award more money per tournament than BASS or any other organization, but the level of competition there is also very high. If you are only 15, I recommend taking some time and work your way up the ladder at a slower pace. You'll learn way more stuff about tactics, techniques, etc. And the experience you'll gain will be the most beneficial in the future when you want to hit the FLW or BASS.
Old 01-04-10, 09:52 AM   #10
Bender

I would also suggest checking your state to see which organization is stronger. If I was in your situation in Michigan I would probably join FLW. There seems to be a lot more tournaments at different levels from clubs (which don't have to be part of an organization), BFLs, Strens, an up. Plus there is the college fishing circuit.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 07:24 PM   #11
jooleyen

Thanks for the suggestions. I did talk to the youth director for B.A.S.S. and he said I could join their program and if I chose to pay an extra $25 my weights would go toward the FLW portion which would give a better chance at qualifying for a regional tournament.

They only have 4 regular events during the season, but during this off-time maybe I'll find another local club.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.