Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-24-08, 10:40 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Pouring/Melting lead

For those of you who have poured their own lures before, what kind of ventilation did you use? I got a lead melting pot for my birthday and my mom is a bit concerned about the ventilation.

Where do you guy pour? Will I be able to do it in our basement? I am planning on using a box fan or something to push the lead gasses and stuff away.

thanks
BB
Old 11-25-08, 01:10 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lead is not supposed to give of many fumes at about the 700 degrees that you will heat it to pour. You still should have some good ventilation but most of your hazards come from ingestion, especially from handling it and then touching your mouth and eyes.
Here is my current setup for pouring plastic and lead:

I have stuff all over the place right now because I just put the boat away, organized the shop, and insulated the garage door. I should be back up and pouring tomorrow.
On top of the fan in the range hood (that I got for $20 brand new) there is another fan pulling air at the other end of that duct taking it outside.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 01:35 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

bender nice set up, i wish you could have zoomed in a little more in the area of that calendar though haha. seriously, that is a good setup for ventilation. i would reccomend not doing it in your basement because i don't think you could get very good ventilation. i do my pouring in the garage and leave both doors open. we get a good draft flowing in one door and out the other. when it is cold outside i just leave the doors open a little bit and put a fan infront of the door that is letting the air out.
Old 11-25-08, 01:42 AM   #4
Bender

It's just a Hooters calendar, signed by all the girls from the one in Flint.
A guy I know pours in his basement, I forgot about that. He also has some type of a range hood and routed the duct out one of the small windows using one of those things you can get to replace the window with a dryer vent. If it doesn't pull enough air with just that you can get those little inline boost fans too.
Old 11-25-08, 09:08 AM   #5
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great setup Bender, I'm jealous!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 06:41 PM   #6
zooker

i do my pouring in an old 20x40 steel fabication shop which has six 24" fans with shutters..

zooker
Old 11-25-08, 10:09 PM   #7
bamabassman

very nice bender, very nice. i have a hood like that . was gonna yard sale it, but now..............
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 10:48 PM   #8
66KingFisher

I like the way thats vented....is that just regular dryer vent duct hose or something bigger? I do alot of airbrushing and need something simular that will exhaust my overspray without suckin all the warm air outta my small shop.....i've got a large squirrel cage type of exhaust setup for when I use a full size paint gun but its overkill when using just the airbrush.

PS.....should you not already know about this site, check out www.tackleunderground.com for lots of great info on making your own lures,molds,etc.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 10:50 PM   #9
bamabassman

i think it just dryer hose 66. and the fan won't take out the heat either i don't think. i really like it too. gave me an idea for later.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 04:50 AM   #10
Bender

It is just flexible duct. When I made it I thought it was going to be temporary, but it has been up for a while. No need to change it when it works I guess. I think I will add a second hood soon and tee it into that same duct. I keep the boat in there too and the tricky part was routing above where the door opens.
Old 11-26-08, 12:03 PM   #11
woody

Nice set up Bender, I didn't hear ya mention if you were using a Backdraft Damper or not. They would help with your heat loss. You just install them inline with you duct and automatically open and shut when you turn on your exhaust fan. One of those dryer vents with the flaps work the same way.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 04:44 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Hey guys, thanks, I think we may set something up like Bender has got. It's just where to vent it to from the basement.

Thanks again,
BB
Old 11-26-08, 05:13 PM   #13
zooker

OUTSIDE....

i use lead down spouts first i melt them down to get all the nasty out of it.i do a quick pour into an old muffin pan. it is easier to remelt these lil round nuggets. then just adding down spouts and ya have to get the nasty out in the middle of a pour... when i pour i pour non stop till i get about 50 blades poured. i also due to the mold shape pour 100 demons after the blades..

pure lead needs to be 450 degrees to melt. tire weights -lead/tin- takes longer and ya need to be at 550+ to melt it..

zooker

zooker
Old 11-28-08, 10:34 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Another quiestion for you guys who pour, we just went over to Net Craft and picked up a football jig mold since they were sold out earlier in the week... Well, we got home and I fired up the melter. I poured filled the mold about 5 or 6 times to warm it up. Well, Most of those turned out good with just the base pin and no hook, but when I put the hook in, The head of the jig poured fine, but the circle collar to hold the skirt on) and the bait keeper barb did not fully pour. Well, I turned the temp on the melter up and same thing, After a while of pouring crappy jigs, I heated the mold up with the blow torch till it was hot through the wood handles. Well, I poured one perfect and then another 6-8 that flled down to the barb, but not the barb itself. Any suggestion?

Thanks again,

BB
Old 11-29-08, 01:14 AM   #15
Bender

I don't know about that, my only problems are when it doesn't fill in around the hook. That's usually when it the mold is not hot enough. How well does the hook fit in the mold? I've had to grind a little on almost all the molds to get the hook to fit right so that it closes all the way and is somewhat lined up in the middle of the cavity.
Is it the regular football jig or the football shaky mold?
Old 11-29-08, 08:20 AM   #16
zooker

ya need a gap in the mold..in my personal molds. i use a wooden wedge to hold my spinner bait mold apart about a 1/16 of an inch.. blades are easy to mold if your mold is old and sloppy. mines new about 1000 blades have com off it.. get used cutting the sprun off the mold is NEW.. the demon is a very custom mold and i have to use a wedge that puts an 1/8" gap in the mold.

i figured this out when we were pouring 10,000 spinnerbaits with a "rattler" loose molds..
we pour that many a MONTH we pour a 5 gallon bucket of crappie jigs a WEEK but those are easy to do..

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 12:09 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Bender, it's a weedless football jig mold The hook fits good alone and with a base pin in.

Zook, I've tried using something to keep the mold open more, and it still doesn't fill the barb (bait keeper).

I think We're gonna enlarge the air escape at the end of the barb and the hook slot with the dremel and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys.

BB
Old 11-30-08, 04:12 PM   #18
zooker

how excatly are you pouring the mold?? are you holding level or angled?? i would tip the mold toward the barb during the pour.. barbs are a pain in the but to get right.. try preheating the mold... i use welding ganlets with nomax liner gloves..

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 10:18 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Zook, I'm holding it sideways, but I never though to angle it towards the barb. Makes sense though. I've pretty much solved my problem. I was looking at Do-it's website and they suggest 'blackening' the mold. Use a candle to cover the mold sreas with the black soot which will act sorrt of like a lubricant helping the lead go in correctly. After the mold gets pretty hot, the blackening seems to have helped a great deal.

When you get a bad pour, how to you get the lead off the hook? I've been cutting it off with wire cutters, but that's a pain and takes a long time. I used a propane torch, and it heats the hooks too much and turns them colors, which is also probably weakening them.

Thanks for your help guys.

BB
Old 11-30-08, 10:25 PM   #20
zooker

i drop it back in the melting pot and fish the hook out later..i buy hooks in bulk 500 per box-so i just chunk the hook..

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 10:28 PM   #21
JB

ya paint em zooker?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 10:31 PM   #22
Jim80

If the hook is changing colors it means you are changing the temper of it , or it's hardness and making the metal softer .

Jim
Old 11-30-08, 10:31 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Well, I'm kind of tight on money and I paid $16.00 for a pack of 100. I've tried melting them off in the lead, but I can't get all the lead off the hooks and it looks really bad.

BB
Old 11-30-08, 10:33 PM   #24
zooker

the heads on the spinnerbaits yep...

the crappie jigs nope...

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 10:41 PM   #25
Jackl

BIGBASSIN,
do you use any kind of cleaner in your lead? Try dropping a small pea sized piece of candle wax or parafin into the melted lead and stir the lead with an old spoon, then skim the impurities off the top of the lead. This cleans the lead and make it pour better. You might want to light the smoke that comes off the pot with a match so it does not get too smokey where you are melting. You might also try pre-heating the hooks by laying a few on top of your lead pot to heat up before you put them in the mould. The cold hooks are cooling the lead too soon so that the lead can not fill in around the hook. I used to have this problem when I was moulding hollow point bullets.
JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.