Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-07-09, 09:11 AM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Sick to my Stomach

So yesterday we went fishin at a pond where we have caught 80 fish in a day, and gets almost no pressure.... We have seen two 6lber caught on one day by two kids that were fishin for the first time (community thing, our club takes kids fishin) but of recent we have only caught fish that were consistently 1-2lbs.....we caught 120 fish b/w 3 of us in two days (like 6 hours)

but yesterday was the first time in 3 weeks, it was My brother, SBK (swimbaitkid), and me..... my brother likes 'catchin' , he likes to catch fish, so he loves to fish on small ponds where we kill em, but he usually never fishes a tournament..... but he is good with a wacky worm in his hand and has a lot of experience fishin, AND he is really lucky

so we were talkin about maybe today we will get a big one today, and later when all 3 of us were fishin in this tiny johnboat, my brother set the hook and 4 seconds later it flat STRIPPED DRAG.....but it ran away from the bushy stuff (which suprised me) and went to deep water.... he played it like a pro, let it strip drag, i was paddlin that way, he got it up and it was EASYILY over 8.5 lbs..... we all screamed, SBK was closest and was leanin out tryin to lip it, it was gettin closer and in slow mo the hook pops out...

Just like that its all over, hook just popped out...... we were all goin crazy, actually my brother was the most composed, SBK was punchin him and i was smackin the paddle against the water..

IF we would of had a net, you would be seeing a huge BRAGGIN BOARD story, but now all we got is the story

so i would say at the least it was 8.5 lbs, but most likely it was 9.5 and depending on the stomach could of been 10lbs.... definatley since it has a lot of bluegill to feed off of.....

so we goin back again today, and hopefully we will have another chance with a big fish, sorry this was soooo long

Last edited by aikenyounggun; 07-07-09 at 11:51 AM.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 11:36 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow! That really sucks man. If the ponds small, than you'll catch him again, what needs to happen though is y'all need to use some swimbaits! the 3.5" TT in blue gill will probably get her!
Old 07-07-09, 05:30 PM   #3
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post

he likes to catch fish, so he loves to fish on small ponds where we kill em, but he usually never fishes a tournament.....
This may be a dumb question but the same swimbait kid that said he won the Idaho FLW state Qualifier ,

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...eferrerid=4184

or was that just a story .

Jim
Old 07-07-09, 05:33 PM   #4
cassidyta

I think he was saying it was himself, his brother, and also SwimBaitKid. His brother being the one who doesn't fish tourneys. That is how I read it.
Old 07-07-09, 05:36 PM   #5
JB

good eye jim, I think he dodged the question several times, at first he stated he won, then after being asked again, didn't give a direct answer that he won.... and the only
thing I read into it was he won a rod for big fish.

If you did win you certainly got plaque, trohy, and more than a rod, I've seen what the first 4 places get in a lot of big tourneys, and its not just a rod.
unless its kids 4-14 i guess LOL

I was fortunate enough to twice make it to state qualifer for bass and choked both times , same place on the ohio river east (st. clairsville). It was cool being in all that competition tho. we slept in a boat under a bridge one time and the other we stayed in a flea bag motel that was like walking back to the sixties LOL

Last edited by JB; 07-07-09 at 05:44 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 05:44 PM   #6
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I think he was saying it was himself, his brother, and also SwimBaitKid. His brother being the one who doesn't fish tourneys. That is how I read it.
I also say he was talking about his brother not sbk.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 06:29 PM   #7
Jim80

After rereading it I see what ya'll were talking about I missed the part where it said there were three of them in the John boat my bad .

Jim
Old 07-07-09, 07:51 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

yeah i can definately confirm that SBK won the FLW state tournament or whatever its name is.... and yeah my brother (not SBK) does not fish many tournaments.....
Old 07-07-09, 09:05 PM   #9
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That is a bummer to lose a fish like that right at the boat. I can feel your pain though. I was fishing a pond and had a brush pile sunk at the bottom of a drop off in 10' of water. I was using a DT 10 (bluegill) and thought I was hung in the brushpile until it start shaking it's head. It was a mule!!! I played the fish out and as it was coming to by buddy with the net it made 1 more jump and threw the crank back at me. It seemed to happen in slow motion too. That crank was down her throat too so I was shocked to lose it. That fish was about like the size of the one you described. A giant!!! I was sick man!!!
Old 07-07-09, 09:48 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Been there and done that. I hate to tell you this, but you will remember that fish a LOT longer than the other big ones you catch. I still have bad dreams about a double digit I hooked and lost 5-6 years back.
Old 07-07-09, 10:19 PM   #11
keithdog

That always feels like a kick to the stomic. I still regret fish I've lost 30 years ago. But thats just part of the sport. If anything, it only makes one more determined to catch that monster next time. Good luck chasing your bucketmouth.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 10:41 PM   #12
aikenyounggun

yeah, dude we are sayin how my brother had his chance, so it mine or SBK's turn to catch a 10lber out there
Old 07-07-09, 10:57 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I feel your pain. When I was fishing on a party boat off Dana Point, CA, I hooked into something huge. It nearly spooled me and then just spat out the spoon I was using. I never even saw it, but I do know it was not a 5lb barracuda or sand bass.

Rebasser is right...I will go to my grave wishing I had just caught a glimpse of that fish, to know what it was. Try to forget, Grasshopper...forget......
Old 07-07-09, 11:07 PM   #14
bamabassman

losing that one wil keep you going back again and again. sorry bub. better luck next time.
Old 07-08-09, 11:32 AM   #15
aikenyounggun

Default A little redemption

so we went back this mornin all bright and early (which is odd for my brother) and it was my brother, one of my brother's friends, SBK, and me....

we got there and SBK was throwin a frog, and on like the second cast he was lookin at me and said i caught some good fish in Idaho on this, and BOOM!!!!, one nails it, he fights it and slings a big fish up on the bank, it went 6.6lbs .... so about 6lb 10oz

we ended up catchin about 20 fish, nothin anywhere close to that tho.....

i did have some fun catchin 3 fish on topwater, 2 on buzzbait, 1 on a frog...

it was a great day i guess ..... but we still said that his fish was no where near the size of the fish my brother lost the other day
Old 07-08-09, 12:21 PM   #16
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live in SC but I went back up to Idaho where I moved from and won the State Qualifier, and I got a plaque for winning I will post a pick when I get 1
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:41 PM   #17
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Been there and done that. I hate to tell you this, but you will remember that fish a LOT longer than the other big ones you catch. I still have bad dreams about a double digit I hooked and lost 5-6 years back.
Had one that turned the canoe about 30 degrees and began towing us before it broke off, never saw it... Think about it all the time!
Old 07-08-09, 07:17 PM   #18
Jim80

I think just about every angler has a one that broke my heart story, it's happened to me and just about everyone i fish with . glad to hear you guys got back out there and stuck a couple pigs though

jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.