Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-20-11, 10:05 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod Socks

I'm planning on getting a good number of rod socks/sleeves. For yall who don't know what I'm talking about, its simply a flexible sleeve that covers your rods and is supossed to protect the tips while also preventing hang ups while the rods are in the rod locker.

I just wanted to know your opinions on them if you have them and use them, and what you think the pros and cons are. They seem like a great product and have really caught on recently. Also, how much protection to you think they give to the rods as a whole, just not the tips? Do you think they help at all when movin rods or when they are standing up in the garage or soon to be a dorm room?

Thanks yall, I dont post much anymore but I still look at a lot of stuff on here, its just usually on my phone, so its a pain to type anything. Still fishin a good bit, but way too much school work, work (jobs), and scholarship essays. Tightlines.
Old 11-20-11, 10:26 PM   #2
MIbasser

I have BPS socks. I don't think they work too well for "rod protection" but it allows me to pack them in the car or the rod locker and not get them tangled. That is the only reason for me to have them.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:50 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I used the BPS rod socks for many years, but this year I went to the rod sleeves that resemble the chineese finger cuffs. Many brands are availabe mine happen to be Coles. After using them for a season I prefer them for a couple reasons - they are easier to get on and off and a variety of colors allows me to color code my rods, which was a big reason for me trying them.

Having 18 - 20 rods in my locker (of the same brand, mostly the same model and same for the reels) color coding really helped me out. I didn't go nuts and have each rod in a different color, but I have them identified as to purpose, ie crankbait, spinnerbait, plastics, jig & frog and my spinning rods are in different colors as to power, ie medium or MH.

One minor negative - leaving lures on the rods when put back in the locker. They snag the sleeves rather easily, but they are also easier to get loose by compressing the sleeve, so it's not too bad. Best thing is to remove a lure or use a lure wrap to reduce this minor problem.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 10:59 PM   #4
bassinbob

Cabelas has rod sleeves with a hook collar. I didn't read the reviews but that might be helpful.
Old 11-21-11, 12:11 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

I use these.
http://www.rodsox.com/

I prefer mine longer to slide down to the reel..The trade is I have to remove the lures,but I like them quite a bit...Real easy to slide on and off.
Old 11-21-11, 01:56 PM   #6
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never used them but from what I've read they are more about protecting rods from getting nicks in the blanks which can cause a weak spot and then break. They are also good to keep your rods from tangling when bunched together. I don't think they will help much in keeping the tips from being broken but I could be wrong.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 02:49 PM   #7
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Not sure how yours is made but in my rod locker I had a large square black tube that ran from the bow end of the locker all of the way to the bow. I made a plate and purchased golf club tube inserts 1 3/4" and mounted it. The specs on my boat say the longest rods to use are 6'6 but I use mostly 7' rods. This worked out because of extra space in the tube that generally could not get used without the method I chose. Works great.

All of the rods go into their own tube so no need for socks. I had tried them in the past but when you have to take them on/off, on/off they get annoying just like reel protectors. I could get you a pic if ya need it.

WJ has the best rodsox listed but I don't want to have to always remove or retie on lures. When I stop the boat I want to fish.

Last edited by Ranger Guy; 11-21-11 at 02:56 PM.
Ranger Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 02:52 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I use these.
http://www.rodsox.com/

I prefer mine longer to slide down to the reel..The trade is I have to remove the lures,but I like them quite a bit...Real easy to slide on and off.
X2, good product at a good price. I have one on all my rods.
Old 11-21-11, 03:09 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm fixing to try out the rodsox on my new Waffle rod.
Old 11-21-11, 03:29 PM   #10
DougV
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Have you seen the Neoprene Rod Jackets from Angler's Innovation? I like these for a couple reasons. THe Neoprene is soft and will take some impacts and offers some cushiony protection. Also Neoprene is softer than plastic and doesn't scratch the clear coat. I also like them because of the attached reel cover that protects not only the rod bu also the reels. They do cost more but the added benefits help protect more. http://www.anglerinnovationsusa.com/index.php
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 09:48 PM   #11
bamabassman

anthony had some really nice ones at wheeler. i liked them. but isn't there a place where oyu can make oyur own? oyu know, but the stuff and hot melt it to your deisred length and such?
Old 11-22-11, 01:18 AM   #12
sharrison
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the SLIX covers from Gander Mountain. www.rodcover.com They have the elastic band you can hook to the reel handle so they won't blow off. So far i've been happy with them for the price..
sharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 09:43 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

John is right, I've got them on all my good rods. I've got a mix of a couple off brand, Stick Jackets, and Rod Gloves.

So far, I like the Rod Gloves best. They have a rounded tip that makes them easier to get in and our of rod lockers.

I think they protect your rod very well from scratches and nicks, but won't from any severe damage like breaking. One of things I really like is the fact they it is real easy to get hooks out. You are inevitably going to hook your cover at least once.

I'd highly recommend getting any decent brand of these. They make carrying a group of rod together easy, as well as storage in a rod locker, and they do protect your rods from getting scratched up.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.