Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-15-05, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Livewell problem

This is a great message board. I've been lurking since June of 2004, and have picked up a lot of tips. Now I've got a question , for which there are probably as many answers as message readers
I bought a used 16' 1986 Monarch bass boat, that's in really good shape, engine (90 hp Merc) runs good, and rides great ! Problem is, it's got 2 livewells, and I can't get either one to fill. I've had the pump out, checked it out in a bucket of water, and it shoots water out big time. The valves on the aeriator tubes were corroded (or old) enough to be stuck....... couldn't tell whether on or off.... so I replaced the rear livewell aeriator tube and valve. The front one is "just" out of reach , under the deck, so won't change it out, until I find out what the real problem is. I've re-installed the pump to the pickup, and when I run a garden hose into it, I am able to pump water into the livewells, but at the lake, I get nothing up to the wells. Could it be my pump, or is it an "airlock", or should I look for some other solution ?

Dennis
Old 01-15-05, 02:31 PM   #2
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd
Default Re: Livewell problem

You've got a plug somewhere. Â*Disconnect the lines from the pump and from the end of the livewell. Â*Use a garden hose to backflush the lines. Â*A garden hose produces a lot more pressure than a livewell pump so you should be able to push the plug out. Â*Flush it from one end to the other.

Thinking more now. Â*You say you have two livewells. Â*Do you have one pump for both? Â*If that's the case, you can figure the plug is somewhere before the line to the first livewell. Â*I'd check out the inlet line TO the pump from the outside. Â*You may have sucked something up into that.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 02:50 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

also check your spray heads the i have had alge scum plug them up at the spray head. also check to make sure they are set right.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 09:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions, CajunBass and Zooker. I'll follow them through........ as soon as I can get water through my garden hose again........ It's COLD here !
Dennis
Old 01-17-05, 01:27 AM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Had the same problem with my old boat, believe it or not it was a weight problem. If I was in the front of the boat it would work fine. If I moved to the back it would stop. The intake on the side would play up and down just enough to let air in and out. Added a extended piece of hose that always stayed submerged and never had a problem again. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 09:38 AM   #6
dogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, flfireman. My inlet is is a "through-the-hull" mounted right beside the drain-plug, at the lowest point of the transom. So, I assume it's never out of the water, since my hull is pretty much a deep-V. When the weather warms up enough for my garden hose to bend, I'll do some more serious checking out. Gotta get that solved, so's I can stuff the livewells

Dennis
dogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 10:57 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Do you have an cap for the livewells? And did you remove it. I know it's a basic question, but I'm been known to forget the drain plug a time or 4 :-[.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 11:29 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well at least ya did not put the plug in the wrong hole like that there feller from west texas done did.

never forgot the plug yet. mine is a one piece joby that does not come out of the hole. has like a t on the end.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.