Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-23-05, 01:19 AM   #1
GeeBeeJim

Default Starting and Idle RPM  ?

quote author=JigginJim link=board=Boats;num=1106196709;start=0#0 date=01/19/05 at 23:51:49]It's a Johnson 225. It takes about 10 minutes to start ?
It cranks, fires, and stops .... cranks, fires, and stops .... cranks, fires, and stops ? ? ?

After about 10 minutes of doing this, it will finally run, and stay running. It will start in a snap all day, and the following day after the first initial start.

What's happening here ? Should the Bulb be pumped harder, or is it flooded ?

Also, what should be the RPM at idle ?

Thanks > Jim
[/quote]

Can someone please help me understand what the approximate idle RPM should be ?

Thank you.
Old 01-23-05, 01:59 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: Starting and Idle RPM Â*?

Sounds like my Merc-a cold natured beast, but once it fires up it starts right up all day. Â*You might check your plugs and clean them out as well as your carbs. Â*I add some stuff called Seafoam to my gas every two or three tankfulls, and that seems to help-cleans all the gunk out.

If you don't already have one, I'd invest in a shop manual for your engine. I did, and have saved a bunch of money doing stuff myself rather than having to take it into the shop, pay through the nose and be without the boat for several weeks.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 04:10 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

cold blooded out boards should have a picture of a yammaha under that. very one i have talk to that owns a yammy out board says the same thing "it skips, misses, spit's, sputter's, during the first run. after that it runs fine". boy anit this the truth. i think the only time it ran fine was when the water temp was 80+ .

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 04:51 PM   #4
GeeBeeJim

Thanks gyz ................ But could you give me some idea what RPM I should be idling at ? ? ?
Old 01-24-05, 10:38 PM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

DJ-you might call a local shop and see if they can look it up for you. That's why I bought the shop manual-all that info is in it.
Old 01-25-05, 02:35 AM   #6
socalbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to socalbasser

Quote:
Sounds like my Merc-a cold natured beast, but once it fires up it starts right up all day.
It took me ten minutes of laughing my A$$ OFF to reply to this Reb. My buddy has a Merc and I've witnessed this same Mercury phenomina several times. I'll still take my Yamaha any time (no matter what Zook says) but once his Merc is warm it does run like a case of the screaming......................well, you know what I mean. I'm really beginning to believe the theory that every outboard (no matter what brand) has it's own special quirks.

Skeeter
socalbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 11:36 PM   #7
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, Skeeter-there have been a few times I've considered whacking it with a ball peen hammer. Â*Probably wouldn't help but would make me feel better ;D

DJ-had a thought-take a look here:

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

You might ask your question over there-It has helped me out a time or two.
Old 01-29-05, 11:59 PM   #8
GeeBeeJim

Thanks REB. Â*I come away with some good stuff from this site - http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

I found a logical sounding starting procedure in a thread started by EVIN on page 6. It describes how to use the PRIMER PUMP. This, along with the tip, not to pump the bulb until the engine is level in the water. Â*Pumping the bulb with the engine tilted could flood the cylinders, and foul the plugs. I am optomistic that this iz gonna work ! Will try both next time out, will let y'all know if it works.

> Â*Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.