Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-12, 09:35 PM   #1
Al19067
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New bait caster

I'm stuck between the two, bass pro Johnny Morris signature series or shimano curado, I herd good things on both, what would u guys go with, thank you
Al19067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:55 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If thats the only 2 choices, then I would get the curado. I'm curious though, if you looked at the BPS JM reel, then why didn't you mention the BPS pro qualifier. The JM reels had several problems with design and parts. The pro qualifier is the BPS reel that sets the standard for high quality value priced reels. The PQ is the reel I would get if I was looking for a good value on a good reel.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 10:00 PM   #3
Al19067
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
If thats the only 2 choices, then I would get the curado. I'm curious though, if you looked at the BPS JM reel, then why didn't you mention the BPS pro qualifier. The JM reels had several problems with design and parts. The pro qualifier is the BPS reel that sets the standard for high quality value priced reels. The PQ is the reel I would get if I was looking for a good value on a good reel.
I wanna note this is a back up, I currently have a Garcia revo
Al19067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 10:48 PM   #4
Kabar
BassFishin.Com Member

Was on the same boat...but read that people with JMSign getting a lot of problems after some time .....bought Curado and Chronarch ....as my first baitcasters , can't be happier...well just practiced twice on the empty baseball field....just 1 birdnest.(3 hrs casting)

There is new v. nice review (2 parts review) of curado G on you tube (15-20 minutes long).
Kabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 02:53 PM   #5
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would check out the PQ as well. I own several and they are a great casting reel. They are going into the second season on my boat and I haven't had a issue with them. I would also check out the Lew's tournament line. I also own a Curado that I've had for more than a few seasons. They are great as well. What type of budget do you have? I like the dual brakes in the PQ and Lew's. If I'm fishing rough winds they sure help. As pro
reel stated, there have been issues with the JM. Pro reels knows his stuff so I'd take to heart what he is saying to you. Some on the forum say that Lew's are the same as a PQ. I own both don't agree. The PQ is a excellent reel but the Lew's reel is special. I also have a few Revo's. You can't go wrong with any of the above.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 07:52 PM   #6
sdesi2010
BassFishin.Com Member

Pro Qualifier or Lews Speed Spool my opinion

Is this a first baitcaster? I felt like the BPS PQ was a great reel to learn on. Great values on both.
sdesi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 08:37 PM   #7
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Just wondering so I can better myself, Where do you hear that certain reels are bad from? I wish I could tell myself if i am going to face any problems with a reel before i buy it, So how do you know the JM reel has problems? Do you own one, or do you hear things about reels from a certain website? Just wondering because I find myself not knowing whether or not a reel is good.
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 05:06 AM   #8
Riley103
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I would check out the PQ as well. I own several and they are a great casting reel. They are going into the second season on my boat and I haven't had a issue with them. I would also check out the Lew's tournament line. I also own a Curado that I've had for more than a few seasons. They are great as well. What type of budget do you have? I like the dual brakes in the PQ and Lew's. If I'm fishing rough winds they sure help. As pro
reel stated, there have been issues with the JM. Pro reels knows his stuff so I'd take to heart what he is saying to you. Some on the forum say that Lew's are the same as a PQ. I own both don't agree. The PQ is a excellent reel but the Lew's reel is special. I also have a few Revo's. You can't go wrong with any of the above.
Thanks you for the post.
Old 05-02-12, 06:08 AM   #9
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most reels made work fairly well,for about a year,maybe two.
Curado will last fair amount of seasons,I own about a 20 year old lews,not worn out yet but is starting to get sloppy,new lews arnt quite the same but decent.
I own no 400 dollar reels,seldom pay even nowdays much over 100 for one,curado about 130.Most I ever paid for any reel was 72 for my lews back over 20 years ago as 72 went farther back then than 130 now,was money well spent.Bought it as they were to discontinue the 4/8/1 reel.Not unhappy with the purchase.
Also dont own any 200-400 dollar rods.About same as reels sort of stop at 125-130.With many well under 100.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:21 AM   #10
DVT Mike

Reviews on shopping sites are worthless and on You Tube etc. you don't know the people. The best source for honest feedback is sites like this and few other forums that are made up of knowlegable members who genuinely want to share and help one another. The PQ is the way to go for a value reel as stated previous. The Curado is tried and true.
Old 05-02-12, 12:08 PM   #11
lilmule

In all respect to reviews many are a pay per review,such as a yearly one done on boats,they tend not to say a whole lot bad about a product when the desired result is to build them up,nor would I discredit any of those mfg as several are popular brands.
You have it right it is what the users think of the product that is what really matters.
Also correct in your assessment of the curado.
Old 05-02-12, 02:14 PM   #12
DaveW731

Default Another vote for PQ

I own three and the only reason I don't own four is that a buddy gave me one of his Garcias. The newest PQ is on its 4th season, the oldest on its 12th. I think I am getting great "hours per dollar" value and I am very happy with the performance.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 05:36 PM   #13
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigBass View Post
Just wondering so I can better myself, Where do you hear that certain reels are bad from? I wish I could tell myself if i am going to face any problems with a reel before i buy it, So how do you know the JM reel has problems? Do you own one, or do you hear things about reels from a certain website? Just wondering because I find myself not knowing whether or not a reel is good.

I'm a reel mechanic. I work on over a thousand reels a year. Iam one of the few that works on any brand and I get a lot of bass pro reels. The johhny morris has a week link in the clutch design. The clutch breaks and the part is hard to get because they need so many. The Pq is the only bass pro reel currently on the market that I strongly recomend. I have used them myself and love them. They cast just as good as my revos do. I plan to buy a couple pq's in the cracking ratio soon, but didn't have the extra money while they were on sale. If they don't go back on sale i will still get one soon for the deep cranking season and then more latter. One nice thing about the pq is that most of the parts are universal with revo parts so i can get anything i need for internal parts if bass pro rod and reel dept is out of stock.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:23 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

Just to help the new people out, pro real knows his stuff. He can actually speak for the insides of reels, most of us just know what we like.
Old 05-03-12, 07:39 AM   #15
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
I'm a reel mechanic. I work on over a thousand reels a year. Iam one of the few that works on any brand and I get a lot of bass pro reels. The johhny morris has a week link in the clutch design. The clutch breaks and the part is hard to get because they need so many. The Pq is the only bass pro reel currently on the market that I strongly recomend. I have used them myself and love them. They cast just as good as my revos do. I plan to buy a couple pq's in the cracking ratio soon, but didn't have the extra money while they were on sale. If they don't go back on sale i will still get one soon for the deep cranking season and then more latter. One nice thing about the pq is that most of the parts are universal with revo parts so i can get anything i need for internal parts if bass pro rod and reel dept is out of stock.
Ah, I See, I guess you can only know through experience then, But when you go to the store, what do you look at in a reel? I know berings are important and all, but what do you overview to see if a reel is good or not. Thanks..ima nooby
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 10:03 AM   #16
lilmule

In his case by the lack of them coming in for repairs,bearings are not everything those in the handle dont mean much at all.
A simple bushing reel will cast just about as far as a 9 jeweled one just wont last with plastic parts etc.Older 2 -4 bearing abu garcias last 5-6000 c etc cost like 35 bucks used off ebay slow gear ratio however.
Light isnt always better,expensive isnt always better,its is what is better for you,not only in use but fits the wallet.
If cheaper expect to replace more often in general,those old garcias an exception,loved by catfishermen but still a great winch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.