Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-12-05, 07:01 PM   #1
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassGizmo
Default Got totally lost in the fog

I went to lake clarke (susquehanna river) today to hunt ducks. it was kinda foggy at my home so i figured it would be great hunting. I got out in the river and pretty much got lost. I couldn't see 40 feet in front of me. I fooled around for about a half hour till i finally found a shoreline. i knew i was never at that spot before. I wasn't sure if i was up towards wrightsville or down near the dam. the water was moving somewhat fast. I knew they had several flood gates open. I anckored and took and slim chance that someone would be in the area. i yelled a couple of times. and to my suprise someone heard me. they told me my location. I think i ended up down near a small road that comes down by a few houses. I was about a mile above the dam. I thanked the unknown person for his help and i headed up the west shore to the launch. Man, I was glad to be back. I must have been going in circles. It was a scary deal. The main thing i was concerned with was the dam. I didn't want to get anywhere near that dangerous area. I did hear the roar of water a one point so i headed the other direction in a hurry. I would have been fine if i would have had a compase along but of course i didn't. fog can really screw up your sence of dirction.
I was very lucky that man was out there. I was one lucky person today

there is a lesson learned here. when its that foggy stay of large lakes. or atleast stay near shorelines.
BassGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 07:15 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Got totally lost in the fog

even if you know the lake you fish real well in thick fog every thing is white. i have been there done that. then i bought a gps unit. really helps find the duck blind in the pitch dark foggy morning's especailly if ya all ready have the track locked in.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 07:40 PM   #3
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Zooker, the gps would have made the day much easier. i think i will go check in that. I don't know why i didn't think of that. ???
Old 01-12-05, 07:53 PM   #4
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

i use to have a cabin in murphys hollow. thats right below the old rock dam. and the islands. use to catch some nice smallies. right in front of mud island there was a big boulder.i quess its still there. this was in the 60s. brefore uncle sam got me. i am orginally from columbia. i know what you mean bye getting turn around on that lake in the fog. of course when i live there this time of the year its iced. but with three mile island and the way theycontrol flow not to many ice jams. i quess you where talking about safe harbor dam. never hunted that low always duck hunted across from washington boro on the sand bars.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 09:50 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

catcher
i have a garmin legend etrek. 2 energizer's will work about 16 hours it holds like 20 tracks has a 8mg memory plus unlike the cheaper units it can be down loaded from my big puter with a us lakes and water way maps-buy the one for your area- it is very easy to use gives exact location -with in 30 feet- also the speedomater is dead on.
can get it thru bps or cabeleas for round $170. best money you can spend.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 12:48 AM   #6
BassGizmo
BassFishin.Com Member

nobass, actually i hunt on the large island near washington boro. i really like that area. although it does get really rough when the wind kicks up. there is also lots of good areas for bass around that area.
This has been a really odd year. usually the river is totally froze way before now but it just didn't get cold yet this year. i'm going to fish at lake marburg in western york county tommorow. mid 60s for january, ya gotta love it.
Old 01-16-05, 01:26 PM   #7
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

Somebody was watching over you.Glad your safe.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.