Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-19-12, 12:55 AM   #1
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Boat Care

What is your best boat cleaning tip?
Old 08-19-12, 07:52 AM   #2
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Wipe it down before you leave the parking lot and that includes any scum line on the hull. Saves a lot of elbow grease later on.
Old 08-19-12, 08:59 PM   #3
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds simple but JDW is correct! I always do a wipe down, I keep a clean bucket and 3-4 soft micro towels on hand to wipe down when I am done. When I am in Vegas the boat is and everything dries so fast I almost dont have time to get it done before the streak starts. In Tampa, I have lots of time to wipe it down and sometimes just do it when I get home with just fresh clean water from the hose. Lots of great wipe down products out there, I have been using the one from Lucas and it works great. Goes on easy, wipes clean and smells great on top of it. (has a clean smell) http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...%20Speed%20Wax

They sponsored a torn in Vegas and I had a little sample that they gave out and it works great.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-12, 09:47 PM   #4
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I vacuum the carpet once a week and wax my boat 2 to 3 times a year. Even the underside. I fish twice a week year round.

Don't forget to wax your trailer along with it.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 01:00 AM   #5
fishnart
BassFishin.Com Member

Aaahhhh one reason I stopped guiding. I am a freak about my boat. My old boat had carpet the color of red wine. I had a client bring his son out and they ate white powdered dougnuts got that all over my carpet. Another client once took his shoes off but not his socks, I had white sock lint all in my carpet that the shop vac would not get out...I picked every one of the suckers outa that carpet lol. As much as clients tried to respect your boat, some didn't. At one point in my current boat I actually custom cut carpet runners and put in the cockpit area of my boat and don't dare let a fish drop on my carpet or bleed, are you kidding? Blood on my carpet? I keep a clean up kit just for this. My club members tease me about the first away tourn I went too where we stayed in a camp gournd...I took my shop vac to vacuum my boat each day after fishing. I about had a stoke once when I didn't realize I had red clay mud on my shoes and they were wet when I got into my boat (light tan) I had bright orange foot prints around my boat which just got ground in and worse as the weekend went by.
So at this point some of you might send me to the nut house lol and I admit, I am a nut about my boat. I don't fish as much as you highhawk, but I agree with you! I was told not to wax the hull as it would take a couple miles per hour off my speed....huh, who cares lol
fishnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 07:08 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Interesting this came up. As of right now, I use Bass Boat Saver. I heard about it from Kory and read some reviews on BBC. With kids and schedules, I don't always wipe mine down as soon as I get out of the water, sometimes it might be a few days. I haven't had any trouble removing anything with BBS.

But on another note, 1 of the guys that works out here also works for the makers of Gorilla Hull out of Louisiana. They also do bass boat fiberglass repairs. He made sense the other day explaining how the gelcoat has pores. The better your waxing regime, the more you fill those pores and doesn't allow for items to stick on the boat. Makes sense to me.
Old 08-23-12, 08:50 PM   #7
fishnart
BassFishin.Com Member

Bubba, you mean items such as dirt?
fishnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-12, 10:10 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Interesting this came up. As of right now, I use Bass Boat Saver. I heard about it from Kory and read some reviews on BBC. With kids and schedules, I don't always wipe mine down as soon as I get out of the water, sometimes it might be a few days. I haven't had any trouble removing anything with BBS.

But on another note, 1 of the guys that works out here also works for the makers of Gorilla Hull out of Louisiana. They also do bass boat fiberglass repairs. He made sense the other day explaining how the gelcoat has pores. The better your waxing regime, the more you fill those pores and doesn't allow for items to stick on the boat. Makes sense to me.
I have used tons of different boat cleaning products over the years and I have yet to run across anything that could even compare to Bass Boat Saver. That stuff will shine a boat up faster, easier, and better than any other detailer I have found. It even has some UV protection in it, so although it doesn't take the place of a few good coats of wax throughout the year it does protect between waxes. I also us it on my truck and anything else I want to shine up and keep looking good.

As for the pores in the gel coat, your friend is right. That is why you will lose speed if you wax the bottom of the boat. The wax fills in the pores in the gel coat and doesn't allow the tiny air pockets to form that allow the boat to slide across the surface of the water easier.
Old 08-25-12, 10:15 PM   #9
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Good info on the gel coat and not waxing hull. Thanks, although I will continue to wax the hull only once a year now!
Old 08-25-12, 10:21 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
Good info on the gel coat and not waxing hull. Thanks, although I will continue to wax the hull only once a year now!
Waxing the boat is a very important part of taking care of the boat. You really should wax it at least 3 times a summer, but just don't wax below the water line.
Old 08-26-12, 12:23 PM   #11
Bender

I wax it all except the pad, but I don't do it as often as I should. I used to have terrible water spots on my motor and I used lots of different products, including BBS. Last year I started using a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water (distilled or filtered) as soon as I pull out and everything stays clean without spots.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 07:26 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I'm wondering how well that BBS would work on my boat, since it's basically car paint...clear coat over a base coat. No gel to worry about. I don't really wax but once a year as I keep mine in a garage.
Old 08-26-12, 07:36 PM   #13
bassboogieman

NFE - I use BBS on the boat and motorcycle ('glass parts), but it does not do well on the car. I would think a spray wax - like McGuires - would work in a similar manner on your Avalance as it does on a car or truck. I use that on my Durango after washing it. If you want to try some BBS, send me your address and I'll send you a small bottle of BBS if you want to give it a try. I have a couple sample bottles and about half of a 5 gallon jug of the stuff in my basement.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 07:47 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
NFE - I use BBS on the boat and motorcycle ('glass parts), but it does not do well on the car. I would think a spray wax - like McGuires - would work in a similar manner on your Avalance as it does on a car or truck. I use that on my Durango after washing it. If you want to try some BBS, send me your address and I'll send you a small bottle of BBS if you want to give it a try. I have a couple sample bottles and about half of a 5 gallon jug of the stuff in my basement.
It's strange to hear that it doesn't work well on your car. I have used it on my last 3 trucks and have been very happy with the results.
Old 08-26-12, 08:42 PM   #15
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

OK, no waxing below the water line. I too get to keep mine in the garage.
Old 08-27-12, 01:16 AM   #16
bassboogieman

Quote:
It's strange to hear that it doesn't work well on your car.
Yeah, I was expecting to use it between waxings. My car is new and I've waxed it twice after washing, with the McGuires. My car is dark blue and the BBS left the surface streaked and I had a lot of trouble trying to buff it up to a decent shine. I don't know if it was because of the wax underneath, the dark paint making the streaking more noticable or what. I have no trouble with it on 'glass surfaces, it really does a great job there. But I'm sticking with the spray wax on the Durango, it's almost the same process, just a little bit more time but not that much.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.