Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-29-13, 08:49 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Choice of worm hook?

I rarely fish any soft plastics over 7 inches. Mostly I am pitching creatures, tubes, and 6 inch worms. I recently picked up a package of 8" Mann's Jelly Worms and longer 11" swim tail worms. It's been many years since I've used longer worms. For those of you who do, which hook style and size would you recommend? My hooks are all EWG hooks for soft plastics, but with longer worms, especially the Jelly Worm which has a thicker body than most, I was thinking a hook like the Gamakatsu offset worm hook as seen here in a 5/0 would work best. Would you recommend something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	186305_54748.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	8808  
Old 06-29-13, 09:09 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We occasionally fish 10" Power worms, which are pretty thick as well. There's two setups I normally use for them. The first is a large EWG (5/0, 6/0). I thread the worm on farther than usual so the hook is further down the worm. My second (and most used) choice is a 6/0 Owner Beast unweighted hook. I really love the twistlock hooks from owner and the Beast hooks are designed for thick plastics like swimbaits, so they work pretty well for the big worms.

BB
Old 06-29-13, 11:54 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Those offset hooks are great for worms but generally the EWG hooks are best for thicker baits. I would use a 5/0 Superline EWG on the bigger worms.
Old 06-30-13, 12:07 AM   #4
Bassboss

5/0 has always treated me well. Any larger and I think it impairs on the flowing action of the worm. I like offset as appose to EWG, I think I get a better hook up ration with them. However if the worm is especially thick I won't hesitate to use an EWG.
Old 06-30-13, 07:35 AM   #5
lilmule

Most people use to large a hook on worms etc,3/0 is about s large as i go with even 12 in worms,4 in ringworm takes a 1/0.Just like line being to large or thick at times the hook itself can be and cost hits.Idea is to hookem not harpoon them.
When using small worms trying to finesse I use a thin hook,when flipping a stronger hook.If wacky rigging I go even smaller with a circle hook.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 02:02 AM   #6
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've gone to EWG hooks for just about everything. (Usually the red ones from Gamakatsu.) I use a variety of sizes - usually 3/0 for most worms, but I do carry 2/0 for some smaller worms and both 4/0 and 5/0 for larger plastics.
Old 07-03-13, 06:29 PM   #7
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Like everyone has said. EWG 3/0 for everything and 4 or 5/0 for the big stuff. I just feel better with the bigger hooks in those big worms.
Old 07-08-13, 10:07 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

On the big Power Bait worms 10 inches and 12.. I use some old school stuff.

A box of toothpicks as well. Bury the big eye into the front of the worm and peg it with a toothpick.

Hook point at an angle in worm..

OLD SCHOOL..

Capt Mike
Old 07-08-13, 10:13 AM   #9
bamabassman

i mostly use the type of hooks you pictured keith. in MY mind, using this style on a worm or lizard is best because of the FLATNESS. does that make sense? lol. less drag and it, again in MY MIND, drags better over the bottom. of ocurse i know the hook will cause the lizard or worm to roll onto one side, but with the flatness i feel it goes over objects easier.

if i am wrong, some one please tell me, lol.
Old 07-08-13, 06:02 PM   #10
keithdog

I was at BPS yesterday and purchased a package of these. I always thought I wouldn't pay for the price of Trokars, but it was free to me as I had 50$ in gift cards. I intended to get either Gamakatsu or Mustad in this style, but it wasn't available in either brand. In fact, the only brand they had in this style besides Trokar was BPS and VMC. And on the VMC, I didn't care for how the line tie angles downward. So I will give these things a try and see if they are worth all the hoopla. I chose the 5/0 size. Also picked up a Heddon One Knocker Spook, one Strike King Sexy Dog and Sexy Dog Jr, one of those Live Target Field Mouses Dean is always talking about, a package of 1/4 oz. stand up Yum jigs with 5/0 hook for larger creature baits. It sure don't take much to hit the $50 mark!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trokar-WormHD-L.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	8829  

Last edited by keithdog; 07-08-13 at 06:10 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13, 08:49 PM   #11
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i mostly use the type of hooks you pictured keith. in MY mind, using this style on a worm or lizard is best because of the FLATNESS. does that make sense? lol. less drag and it, again in MY MIND, drags better over the bottom. of ocurse i know the hook will cause the lizard or worm to roll onto one side, but with the flatness i feel it goes over objects easier.

if i am wrong, some one please tell me, lol.
I use that style on lizzards and creatures for that exact reason.
Worms, wide gap.
Keith, I got a bunch of Trokars at a two for one deal that I shared earlier.
The hook you bought is strong and penetrates easily on any plastics including 'elaztech' plastics.

Are Trokars worth a buck 25 a hook.....?
They are very strong and very sharp but that extreme sharpness is lost soon if you fish them in rock and wood.
Old 07-08-13, 09:04 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

Are Trokars worth a buck 25 a hook.....?
They are very strong and very sharp but that extreme sharpness is lost soon if you fish them in rock and wood.
The lakes around here are mainly grass. Milfoil to be exact. along with some other forms of grass as well as lily pads. There are also a few lay downs along the way. No flooded timber in our lakes.
Old 07-10-13, 02:22 AM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I was at BPS yesterday and purchased a package of these. I always thought I wouldn't pay for the price of Trokars, but it was free to me as I had 50$ in gift cards. I intended to get either Gamakatsu or Mustad in this style, but it wasn't available in either brand. In fact, the only brand they had in this style besides Trokar was BPS and VMC. And on the VMC, I didn't care for how the line tie angles downward. So I will give these things a try and see if they are worth all the hoopla. I chose the 5/0 size. Also picked up a Heddon One Knocker Spook, one Strike King Sexy Dog and Sexy Dog Jr, one of those Live Target Field Mouses Dean is always talking about, a package of 1/4 oz. stand up Yum jigs with 5/0 hook for larger creature baits. It sure don't take much to hit the $50 mark!!!
The Bait Monkey strikes again!

I agree with the consensus-an EWG is the way to go with those thicker baits. The EWG won't get clogged up with plastic like a offset or straight shank hook can.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.