Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-12, 04:49 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default palomar or improved clinch knot?

i used to always use the clinch knot till about 3 yrs. ago, then strictly used the palomar since.. any benefits with 1 over the other?
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 05:17 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Palomar is just a stronger knot. Used to be my go to 100% of the time, but recently I've been using the San Diego jam and couldn't be happier. I've heard people say that the palomar is weaker with fluorocarbon lines, so I've switched, and don't think I've broke a knot with it yet.... even broke a hook, but not the knot lol! I also like it's quicker to tie, and conserves line.

I do however use the P-mar with braided lines!
Old 04-08-12, 05:32 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Palomar is an easier knot to tie to anything that has a swivel as it does not require wrapping the line around itself. Palomar is less friendly to tie to any type of a large bait with trebles, such as a jerkbait or Zara Spook, because you must bring the entire bait through the loop that is created.
I use these two knots more than any others, I use the Palomar when it is easy to move the bait through the loop and does not have a swivel, other than that I tie the improved clinch. Both very strong knots and either will serve you well. One exception is on walking type baits, and I then will use a loop knot for those.
Old 04-08-12, 06:18 PM   #4
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Palomar is just a stronger knot. Used to be my go to 100% of the time, but recently I've been using the San Diego jam and couldn't be happier. I've heard people say that the palomar is weaker with fluorocarbon lines, so I've switched, and don't think I've broke a knot with it yet.... even broke a hook, but not the knot lol! I also like it's quicker to tie, and conserves line.

I do however use the P-mar with braided lines!
ive never had line break with FC and the Palomar, the only thing i dont like about the palo, is the amount of line need to tie it
Old 04-08-12, 07:51 PM   #5
Marty

My friend was complaining about breaking knots with his improved clinch knot. I told him to look at the Palomar, he switched to it and hasn't broken a knot since.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 03:03 AM   #6
islandbass

I use both of these knots and use them exactly as Tav describes when each is used.

Marty, if I learned one thing about the Improved Clinch knot, there is very little room for error during the cinching of the knot. If I am off as a result of being too impatient, sloppy, or worse yet, tying it half-a$$ed, the knot can fail on my first shock check (which I do) and pull. In addition, excessive friction (usually the result of hasty knot tying) can also make for poorly formed coils and thereby creating a weaker knot from the get go.

You'll know it's not tied correctly if the coils in the knot at not neat and clean.
Old 04-10-12, 06:01 AM   #7
SaminVa

Used to tie Palomar all the time... bought a new jig rod and reel spooled up w/ Flouro...started breaking off right at the knot... started using clinch knot on the Flouro
No more breaks at the knot.. Like has been said.. I think the palomar weakens the line at the knot... I have used tons of spit thinking it was friction and still had issues.
Old 04-10-12, 10:57 AM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaminVa View Post
Used to tie Palomar all the time... bought a new jig rod and reel spooled up w/ Flouro...started breaking off right at the knot... started using clinch knot on the Flouro
No more breaks at the knot.. Like has been said.. I think the palomar weakens the line at the knot... I have used tons of spit thinking it was friction and still had issues.
Hmmm...I usually set the hook like a lunatic and haven't broken a fluoro knot in 3 years. I use Seaguar InvisX. What brand of fluoro do you use? I'm using it on spinning reels, maybe that somehow makes a difference?

Last edited by WatterBoy; 04-10-12 at 04:52 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 04:35 PM   #9
Crankbait

I can only speak for braid and the Palomar knot is the way to go!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 12:30 PM   #10
3dkicker

I've used both the clinch and palomar knot over the years and haven't found either to be better than the other. I am starting to use the San Diego and really like it.....
Old 04-11-12, 02:53 PM   #11
OkobojiEagle

I believe passing the line through the eye twice adds strength to a knot. Clinch and San Diego Jam only pass the line through the eye once. My choice is the Trilene Knot or palomar.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 05:36 PM   #12
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Braid Knot for me good for light fluro line!
Old 04-12-12, 06:20 PM   #13
Dave63

I am really surprised to see so much support for the palomar. On any other site, most would have you believe that it's the spawn of the devil and would break immediately if you look at it wrong. Having said that, I use it and the Improved Clinch almost exclusively and have broken far more clinch knots, than palomars.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 09:36 PM   #14
bassinbob

I tie both. What ever is easier for me with bad fingers and eyesight. I pass the line twice through the eye of the hook when i tie the clinch. Works great for me that way.
Old 04-12-12, 10:04 PM   #15
bigjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I tie both. What ever is easier for me with bad fingers and eyesight. I pass the line twice through the eye of the hook when i tie the clinch. Works great for me that way.
ive been thinking about starting to do that, give it just that little extra security
Old 04-18-12, 03:55 PM   #16
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Some famous person highly recommends the Double Line Clinch Knot. He said it does not weaken with use like other knots. I forget his name.
I like the Berkley Braid and the knot Shaw Grigsby uses. With my limited testing these two are stronger and easier to tie.
The Double Line Uni knot to me is a PIA to tie and cinch down.
I like the Yucatan for line to line.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.