Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-07-08, 12:01 PM   #1
1lipripper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mentor

Every now and then you hear about 'kid's fishing days' that someone puts on. These fishing derbies can be a lot of fun. Sometimes they’re put on for the under-privileged kids, sometimes for dads who never learned to fish. In this one day, how much can they learn?

You see there's a flaw with these derbies.

Let's say the child DOES get interested in fishing and wants to learn more. They get excited about going again. But, there's no one to take them. Over time, they lose interest and we have lost another person to help our 'flock' grow. As the older portion of our 'flock' leaves our sport due to health, disabilities or death, there aren’t as many ‘newbies’ to come on board to take their place. That’s what I mean about ‘negative growth’.
The same can be said for hunting.

Are you a mentor to some child? Do take them regularly? Or, do you feel good about yourself for taking a child fishing that one day? And leaving it at that? And you never know that you may have stirred something in the child to enjoy our sport.

So, do you take a child fishing, other than family? If we don't, we'll continue to have 'negative growth' in fishing AND hunting.

Just something to ponder this weekend..
1lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 01:08 PM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Even though I'm a young adult (22) I can honestly say I've introduced friends to the outdoors that have never picked up a rod or a shot gun until I took them. Now three of them are avid outdoors men. Since I do work for a state park here in Iowa, I have put on a fish and fishin clinic for the public and kids which went very well. The kids I helped seemed to be heading in the right direction to continue fishing as they grow older!
Last summer I took my nephew fishing for the first time. He did enjoy it very much, catching small bass and some large bluegill. I do totally agree with 1lip! Persistance and patience is what it takes to get a kid hooked on fishing. I feel very fortunate that at my job even if I don't personaly take a kid fishing, I can still interact in some way with kids who are fishing. When I gave my fish and fishing clinic, the message I drove at the end was to just get out there and fish, no matter what species your going after! Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 01:41 PM   #3
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

'negative growth'

Or positive larger bass growth...without all the other fishermen and women. Just joking , kinda. I do believe everyone should get out and enjoy the beautiful world we live in , instead of playing ps3 , or xbox..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 02:53 PM   #4
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lipripper View Post
So, do you take a child fishing, other than family? If we don't, we'll continue to have 'negative growth' in fishing AND hunting.

Just something to ponder this weekend..
Right you are, buddy, and we'll all be the poorer because of it.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 04:59 PM   #5
Jim80

well lets see how to answer this ? I am a father of three boys at 27 and even though
i fished as a youth i really got back into it when my sons started to show a interest .
Now we have taken some of my sons friends and his boy scout troop out to fish but
i belive that with children will get most of their interests from their parents and
should receive most of their out doors learning from them as well but that is me ,
as towards that child not being able to get out and fish on their own , you never know
when you will spark something in a child that could turn into a life long passion
even if they have to wait to embrace it .
Old 06-07-08, 06:33 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lipripper View Post

Let's say the child DOES get interested in fishing and wants to learn more. They get excited about going again. But, there's no one to take them. Over time, they lose interest and we have lost another person to help our 'flock' grow. As the older portion of our 'flock' leaves our sport due to health, disabilities or death, there aren’t as many ‘newbies’ to come on board to take their place. That’s what I mean about ‘negative growth’.
The same can be said for hunting.

Are you a mentor to some child? Do take them regularly? Or, do you feel good about yourself for taking a child fishing that one day?
you have a valid point here lipripper.it is kinda the reason behind this site belive it or not.look around at the members we have on this site. some are long time veterns of bass fishing. members like lancer6,rebbasser,jb,1fastlaser,lizardrules,3rdkic ker,bassnman30,and myself while other members are as you said above interested in the sport of fishin and bass fishing in particular. we have many members here that have gain massively from our vast colletion of knowlage. people like wtl,powerbass,crankybait,and joolan-i know i am missing some-these guys will be taking our place in teaching the younger generation in a few years.

look at every one of the veterns mentioned above...i have personally spoken to all of them. so i know this of them some like myself have no children to pass on this knowlage on to. so while we our selves are refining our bag o tricks as it were.we are also teaching the younger generation to bass fish.

as the t-shirt kevin sent me says "bassfishin.com the future of bass fishing" i find this to be very true..

nuff said

zooker
Old 06-08-08, 12:45 PM   #7
bassnman30

There is a member of my club who calls me his hero, so therefor I call him my mentor !
Actually, I have a nephew who I have taken with me fishing whenever he can go (which was always). Now he is 19 or so and can all most "almost" out fish me.
I have basically tought him every thing that he knows. Not everything that "I' know !
I dread the day when his weight is more than mine, but it's coming !

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.