Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-27-11, 05:13 PM   #1
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator (PICS inside)

Boat has a 1996 150 Johnson Fast Strike and is a 17.3 in length. 56lbs Johnson trolling motor. I've read that this combo will do 65mph set up correctly. He said he fishes 3-4times a week with it and that the big motor runs perfect. He's asking 5,500. I'd like to offer 4400 and here is what's wrong:

-Speedometer isn't working right
-carpet & seats need redoing
-live-well recirc doesn't work
-original electronics don't work

Thoughts?

Last edited by BBD; 04-27-11 at 10:14 PM.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:10 PM   #2
nova385

-Speedometer isn't working right = easy fix / might be pluged
-carpet & seats need redoing = this can cost a lot to fix
-live-well recirc doesn't work= easy fix - prob. a pump whet out
-original electronics don't work = O boy, get the wallet out!

If you are the type to fix things yourself, make an offer. Remeber it is a buyers market right now. Worst he will say is no.
good luck!
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 10:01 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just my opinion but I would never buy a boat from a guy who lets it get in that bad of shape. Just a guess, but by looking at the condition it's in (we're only talking about a 12 year old boat here) is that maintenance was neglected with everything else.

That boat isn't worth $1500 IMHO.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 10:56 AM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Here's my thoughts: I would pay a lot of attention to the hull and boat itself..how is the transom? Any stress cracks? Are there any wood stringers? I don't believe that boat is all glass, you will have to carefully inspect under all the storage compartments. If there's any wood it's probably rotted and may need to be replaced..it's damn near impossible with some of them. The trailer will probably need some work as well and that could be costly and take up a lot of time. Electrical work does suck and can be time consuming, also if you end up needing new gauges it can expensive. I have rewired an entire boat and trailer, nearly 150 hours of labor. Carpet is fairly cheap, but not easy to replace. Seats can be repaired or you may want to replace them, that can be costly as well. A compression test for sure! Any boat mechanic should be able to get that for you, I would also find out when the impellar was last replaced, lower unit fluid as well.. bottom line: it's gonna be a project boat.. I would offer around 2-3k, I doubt someone is gonna pay over 5k, there's a lot of good deals out there right now

It sounds like it's mostly cosmetic aside from the electical. If you just want to fish I would take that boat and get a compression test and have someone look at the electrical...you DON'T want a fire! If the engine is good and you get the electrical repaired it could make a great boat, maybe in the off season you could chip away at doing the rest.
Old 04-29-11, 12:20 AM   #5
BBD

Yes, I would be able to do most of the repairs myself. The wiring in the boat is good, the actual Lowrance unit will turn on but the LCD screen just shows lines. This whole boat is fiberglass/composite from my research. There is no wood in this boat at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure this boat is wood free. He said the lower unit oil was changed about 6 months ago. Don't know about the impeller yet but he said it pisses well. The water test well clarify everything for the most part.

I figure it would cost me about:

- 400 for decent electronics
-58 to 80 bucks for marine grade carpet at Home Depot ( I can strip, prep and glue it down)
-50 bucks for a MPH gauge
-50 bucks for a new recirc pump
-150 for two new seats

Some of the items listed above may be able to be had for cheap if I can find a deal or two on CL.

I also found a nice, nearly new, 72lbs Motor guide foot controlled for 300. I could probably get around 150-200 for the current Johnson 56lbs (it works fine) and that would offset the new troller cost.

If the hull, transom, trailer, and motor are sound, I think 900 bucks could bring this boat back to life taking care of all the minor cosmetic/electronic stuff. I'm not scared of a little cosmetic revival and such. Let's just hope those are the only issues because if not, I'll lower my price point and walk away if he won't take what I feel the boat is worth in it's current state.

Last edited by BBD; 04-29-11 at 12:30 AM.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 09:11 AM   #6
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most people switch out much of the electronics,speedo isnt a problem never accurate gps is,recirc pump is a low cost item( I always put them on a seperate timer after the switch),72 pd thrust is a decent troller ,but 56 is ok as its not a big water boat,carpet redone etc,all do add up but a composite boat lasts forever .
Mine is a 1990 composite different brand.Seats can be had even cheaper than that,depends upon whats desired.
Most of these composite boats do have wood,its behind the dash,so not any problem.
Biggest drawback to having a boat that wont rot is treated a lil rougher,and they dull out a tad,carpet etc,because its practiclly indestructable its parked outside.
Something like McGuires will bring the shineback and then seal with a decent wax last all season that way.
Im a bit off color when it comes to boats looks,are you gonna fish out of it or eat off it,if actually used should have tad bit of wear n tear,not a showroom thing then,as not a new boat.
Do check the bottom of the hull for ground out marks,no holes etc,hanbys protector comes in handy.
Do run it,if runs ok,and if no leaks your plan sounds sound.
Setup on the transom with 24 P raker about 63,4 in jackplate set about 3 1/2 -3 3/4 under(15 psi) 65-67mph.

Last edited by lilmule; 04-29-11 at 09:23 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 09:37 PM   #7
Lvitch

Yep what mule said.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.