Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-29-10, 09:55 AM   #1
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First real fishing trip on the new boat

Yesterday was the first "real" fishing trip (i.e. took my buddy...not the wife...;-) on my newly aquired boat. Had a great afternoon/evening on the Potomac. Didn't tear anything up and we caught a few bass.
However, my buddy, an experienced bass boater, made some observations about potential performance issues with my boat.

#1. He thinks it should get up on plane a little quicker. If I hammer it right out of the no wake zone the prop just spins/won't bite and she won't plane. However if i bring the boat to a stop and let the water settle around me, then hammer it, she planes pretty quicky.

#2. We both noticed that while on plane at speed, the prop didn't seem to "bite" as well as it should. At approximately 55-65 mph, (the only speed reference I have now is my fishfinder and it's telling me 65-75mph) the motor is running 4100-4300 rpm. Have a lot more throttle left though. But if i try to go faster, the prop loses grip. Even at regular speed the prop seems to break loose ocassionally, particulary with the motor trimmed up a little. If I leave it down all the way it bites pretty good but i know that's a gas mileage killer right?

#3. The gas usage ...seems crazy! I'm only guessing, but we probably only went 40 couple miles yesterday and used almost 20 gallons of fuel. I've heard these motors are notorious gas guzzlers but 2 MPG?

I have a 1988 Stratos 179v with an Evinrude XP 150 mounted on a manual jack plate, a 14 1/2 X 22 Raker three blade prop.

Don't get me wrong, all in all, the boat is great. Rides, drives, fishes great. However i think...some things may need some tweaking.
Not looking for more speed, just...efficiency.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Bobby G
bobbygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 12:46 PM   #2
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm just spit balling here but it sure sounds like maybe the motor is jacked up so high that even slight trim up causes the prop to cavitate. Maybe you need to measure it against the pad and see what you have. Sounds like you may want to be just a bit lower.

That does sound like terrible gas consumption even if it was running a bit rich. Even if it's running well, it might be worth having a pro take a look.
Old 07-29-10, 01:21 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Yeah, check your motor height. Park on level ground, and use a carpenter's level to get the boat level. Then trim your motor to where the cavitation plate is level. Measure from the pad on the boat to the ground, and from the center of the prop shaft to the ground. subtract the second measurement from the first measurement...that's how far below pad your shaft is.
I'm leaning the same way Abbeysdad is...if you're running at 3/4 throttle or whatever and still over-revving, then you're probably too high. What's your water pressure when you're up and running on plane, and what RPM's are you turning when you're struggling to get out of the hole?
Old 07-29-10, 01:23 PM   #4
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bobby,
I too recently purchased a used boat and I think I am having the same problem. I will likely drop my jack plate by a half inch before I hit the Potomac Saturday and see how it does.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 06:47 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bobby, I'm inclined to agree with the cavitation issue. You may need to lower it just a bit if you can. When you hammer down hit the trim at the same time-trim it up as you accelerate and it will plane up nice and smooth. There is a learning curve to learning to drive/trailer a boat. Your experienced boater will be a big asset and shorten the time it takes to get up to speed.

Gas-they suck it down. I have a 115 Merc and it is a gas hog, but it sure is fun burning it.

One thing, though, and it often gets overlooked: I never, EVER fire up the big engine without the kill switch attached and life jacket on. It may not look "cool" to wear a life jacket but I'm at that point in life where I don't care.

It isn't worth the risk IMO.

Too many people don't use either and all too often the results are disastrous.

And congrats on the new boat-they are a blast!

Last edited by Rebbasser; 07-29-10 at 06:58 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 09:55 AM   #6
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys , did what you suggested, set the boat and motor just like you describe and I measured 6 and 3/8" from the pad to the center of the prop shaft. What should I have? Need to lower it you think?

Thanks guys
Old 07-30-10, 10:04 AM   #7
MississippiBoy

Wow....6 1/2" below? That seems way too low, but I'm no expert, by any stretch of the imagination. From what I've heard talking to other people and spending way too much time reading about it, most bass boats are in the range of 3-4 inches below.
Before we go any farther, go here and make 100% sure your measurement is correct. Pay close attention to the second picture, that has the tape measure bent up to the bottom of the boat. If you notice, he's not measuring to the very back of the boat...that hull has a step up right at the back, but he's measuring to the lowest point of the boat, not that step. If yours has a similar design, you should be measuring to the same point.
While you're there, ask the guys on the Stratos forum or the "Setups" forum and see what they say. They'll be a lot more likely to be able to help you out.
Old 08-10-10, 10:56 AM   #8
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Guys,

Took the boat out the other day determined to ...figure things out. I think i figured most of it out. The answer...seat time.

Missisippi, you were right, I had measured wrong, 4 and 1/8 inches below pad to center of prop. Left it alone. Okay you think?

Rebasser, that little trick about trimming up as you hammer down is the bomb! Dude, my boat jumps on plane now! However, the water Sunday morning was smooth as glass. Man I had fun! I still feel as though I'm breaking loose at about 4400 rpm, but I was going so fast by then , don't think I could tolerare it much faster anyway. So, i'm not gonna be too concerned about that. And, I NEVER hammer down without the life jacket and killswitch. Great advice. I have a long no wake zone before I can hammer down so sometimes I don't put it on until I'm out of the no wake zone, but always before i hit it, absolutely.

Finally found the sweetspot for the trim too. Like i said, conditions were perfect Sunday morning though, so I'm sure when there's a little wind I'll have to adjust accordingly.

Gas mileage still...no so good. But I'll just have to get use to staying within my 20 gallon range or paying for expensive marina gas. I guess all that speed and power just comes with that price.

Bottom line, just needed more seat time. However, I must admit the hydofoil thing has me thinking...talked to several guys that have them and they all swear they improve overall performance. Even fuel consumption.
I'm thinkin if it'll let me go a few miles further everyday, and makes by boat more stable...why not?

Your thoughts guys?

Thanks again for your help fellas.

Bobby G
Old 08-10-10, 12:18 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

Well unless you have some need for speed, back off on the throttle and your gas mileage goes way up. You don't need to go 70mph to get to a fishing spot....do you?
I usually run about 28-30mph~ @4000 rpm to maximize fuel economy. Yeah, it may take a few extra minutes to get there, but life is not a race to the finish!

I'm curious about those hydrofoil fin things too, even though I don't have any plane issues as my boat pops up on plane as soon as I get to about 3500rpm's...add a bit of trim and and she's cruising...but I like you, I wonder about the claims of performance and fuel economy.
Old 08-10-10, 05:06 PM   #10
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygib View Post
Thanks guys , did what you suggested, set the boat and motor just like you describe and I measured 6 and 3/8" from the pad to the center of the prop shaft. What should I have? Need to lower it you think?

Thanks guys

I know someone tried to describe how to do it but read this thread with Pictures on how to measure prop to pad and make sure your measurements are correct. http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=65514

Your motor is WAY TOO DEEP if so. Should start at 3.5" and work up from there a half inch at a time till the water pressure drops to 15-18Lbs or the RPM gets too high then drop the motor down 1/4". Should be just right then.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-10, 09:26 PM   #11
nova385

find a buddy with a 24p raker to try out -
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 11:16 PM   #12
lilmule

Hydro foil does help and trim tricks help along with a foot throttle,as for rakers they are an older school prop lacking a lot of cup,same with the shooter,yet if reworked (added cup)by a prop guy are great,easy fix is a renegade generally,four blade.
In actuality the raker was designed for mid sixties,and in the days of x flows thats about all any of the boats would do if that.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 11:37 PM   #13
Bender

2 MPG doesn't surprise me. I get about 2-2.5 on a carbed 150 at wide open. On Yamaha's website they did a test on my boat/motor combo and at 35 MPH (3500 RPM) the fuel economy was way up to 3.75 MPG from a reported 2.8 at 5700 RPM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 10:53 AM   #14
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Thanks guys for all your observations/suggestions/help.

Abbeysdad:

No...don't need to go that fast. It's ...too fast for me actually. But...it sure does ride smooth at ...warp speed. Wish i could go slower and still have it that smooth...

nmanley:

Motor is actually at 4 and 1/8. Think I'm good?

nova385:

Am looking for an extra prop, there just so happens to be a 24p on craigslist this morning for 165.00 What benifits will i gain from the added pitch?

lilmule:

I have a hotfoot so I'm learning better how to use the throttle everytime I go out. Tell me more about the renegade 4 blade. Again, not looking for speed, just a little more efficiency.

Bender:

Yeah, I'm learning quickly that if you keep your foot in it...it's gonna cost you. Hence the hydrofoil possibility. My boat is very smooth...at warp speed, would like to slow it down and still have it ride as smooth as it does at 70. I know...it's a " can't have your cake and eat it too" thang ...right?

Thanks again guys
Old 08-19-10, 10:59 AM   #15
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh...BTW,

Took the boat out on a smaller trolling motor only lake not too far from the house on Tuesday night. Caught nine keepers in about and hour and a half. STUPID FUN!!!

God I love to fish...
Old 08-19-10, 05:32 PM   #16
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

<<<,starting to really hate dis guy. LAMO!!!! glad to hear ya had fun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.