Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-07, 10:41 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default 2000 Nitro Savage 896

I am currently looking at purchasing a Nitro Savage deluxe from someone who used to own a boatyard, I know him very well and it seems like a great deal. Trailer, 20' boat and dual axle trailer are all in great shape..oh and did I mention a 200hp merc EFI...I can buy it this winter for $8,000..what do you guys think? It hasn't been registered since 2005 and the previous owner let the lower unit freeze up, which has been repaired recently. The boat just has a few dock rashes, but other than that is in tip-top with a brand new 96lb thrust minn-kota troller..is this a deal or should I fish for something more
Old 12-01-07, 08:13 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well I will tyell ya this. I used to not like the Nitro line of boats till a buddy of mine bought boat IDENTICAl to what you are descibing. This boat changed my mind on Nitro's totally. The Savage hull is actually a blast to drive and the 200 Merc just makes it run like a rapped ape. If I was in the market I would try and get this boat especially at that price. That is far below blue book. The boat is VERY fisher freindly. The decks are huge,storage is unbelivable and the boat handles like a dream. Remeber I used to hate Nitro's till I drove and fished this one. The 896 is the ONLY one I would buy. After I did some minor adjustments to the boats setup I finally got her dialed into 74mph on GPS and the boat ifn ya run her around 4500rpm and drive her with thr trim does VERY well with fuel mileage. Need anymore questions answered gimme a holler.
Old 12-01-07, 10:51 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

savage hulled nitro's are about the only nitro's that are made worth a dam..if you look closely at the new z series hull from the stern it is a savage hull..

zooker
Old 12-03-07, 01:03 PM   #4
jasonfish320

Hey Guys! Thanks a bunch! I have heard both good and bad about nitro's and it seems like there's only a few models out there that have good reviews..luckily this seems to be one of them. I love my current boat, but she's getting old and this deal is just too good to pass up. I'll be selling my boat soon and it looks like this will be my new ride!!woohoo!! I did finally get to take a look at her and she is an absolute beauty, almost like a new boat with just a little wear to the carpet in front of the pilots seat..everything else is mint! The engine looks like it just came off the shelf and the only thing missing is the frontdeck fish finder...the frame is still mounted but the finder is missing..hmmmm. I've attached a photo and will post more when I get a chance

Old 12-03-07, 01:10 PM   #5
jasonfish320

...Also wanted to mention a few extras that are on this boat..Jackplate, keelguard, 2 transom savers and 2 extra stainless steel props
Old 12-03-07, 02:54 PM   #6
Bender

That is a really nice looking boat! I can't believe it is a 2000.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 04:53 PM   #7
woshea3001
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 896 Savage

I've got the '96 version with the exact engine and it runs and handles great...
woshea3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 05:01 PM   #8
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

That's quite a small engine for a 200 HP.

-LL-
Old 12-05-07, 08:32 PM   #9
jasonfish320

Hey guys here's the pics I promised..sorry for the wait. some of them are a little dark, we had to move it into the garage as a pending snowstorm was on its way. Hope these come out okay

Old 12-08-07, 06:41 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Well did ya buy it or not. QUIT making me sit here and think ...........I should run get in the truck and haul azz and buy this before u do. That boat is a STEAL at that price and I promise you .....you wont be disappointed at the performance. Get the motor up on the transom and run a 25p Trophy prop. She will run in the mid seventies with EASE and jump outta the hole. But after looking at the photos more closely I see the hotfoot peaking out which may mean that the owner has already tweaked the boat.
Old 12-08-07, 09:28 AM   #11
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Only thing I would Add soon would be dual blinker trim switches
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 06:50 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Is that motor sitting on a plate. If not you will need at least 6" preferably 8" plate to really set that boat up for topend
Old 12-09-07, 11:36 AM   #13
jasonfish320

Yes it does have a jack-plate, but I am not sure on the setback, I would have to say 6". She's pretty much a done deal, but I gotta tell ya after spending some time putting in new carpets and rehabin' the glass on my old boat it was hard to sell it. Which brings me to Poli-Glow, not sure if anyone has every used this stuff, but It works great! I will try to post some pics, I've still got 2 coats to do today

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.