Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-04-09, 07:58 PM   #1
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06
Default Jiggin it

well as yall know i'm hoping to be fishing my first tourney at the end of the month.. the bass should be on the bed then here ..

would a jig be a smart thing to use?

i know nothing about jigs.. i threw mine once monday ..tried pitching into a little hole in the bryers.. and it got hung on the bryers when i pulled it out.

I've got to go practice pitching.. i'm about to go try it out..

but anywho

i dont know anything about jigs.. the diffrent kinds. just round and football?

or even what they resemble..
Old 03-04-09, 09:02 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

have you watched kevins video? watch it first ok? then ask questions, i too am reading as much as i can on jig fishing. i am gonna try to learn as much as i can cause i plan on using this each and every trip i make this year. maybe not for the entire outing, but i will use it each time i go out for awhile till i learn it.
Old 03-04-09, 09:12 PM   #3
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

jiggin for bed fish....... oh yeah!
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:14 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

i cant watch kevins vids without downloading it.. i have Internet Download Manager.. and it prompts me to download
Old 03-04-09, 09:23 PM   #5
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

Jigs can be big fish getters but a lizzard has always been my choice for bedding Hawgs.
Old 03-04-09, 09:25 PM   #6
MIbasser

MrP. you may want to try a lizard as well and put a stinger hook on it. I've heard of "smart" bass that will pick things up by the tail and then move it off the bed and drop it off the bed. A guy I fish with will trim a sweet beaver down to almost nothing (front and back) and use a 5/0 hook that way when it picks it up, it has to pick up the hook.

Good luck and don't get discouraged if your boater front ends you and if he does try throwing a trap or spinnerbait into the deeper water to see if you can pick up any roaming bass.

My 0.02
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:29 PM   #7
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

A stinger hook a great idea punisher lures site has a great way to rig one.
Old 03-04-09, 09:39 PM   #8
Bassboss

Ok, looks like some of us have our work cut out for us!

Just make this clear, I've never caught anything on a jig, but know a lot about them from reading, forums, etc.

Quote:
Not bad, but there are better things out there! Such as large tubes, lizards (very good IMO, something that will often eats bass eggs), some swimbaits, creachers and worms! If you do go with a jig, than I think you should use a lighter one.... under 1/2 oz.

Quote:
Jig heads have different kinds for different cover and structure .

It completely depends on what kind of cover the bass are budding on.

Football jigs are best for fishing rocks. If the bass are bedding on rocks, than through a football head!

The more slender heads (I don't know what they are called) that look like arrow heads, triangles, and bullet weights, are best for fishing vegetation, they glide though weeds better.

Quote:

Most often though they are resembling cray fish.

Jig can resemble lots of different forage, anything from shad to craw dads. You can make them look like different forage by adding different trailers. Trailers that have punchers, obviously resemble craw dads, same thing with ones that have double curly tails, such as hula grubs.

If you want it to resemble a bait fish than add a single curly tail grub, or a hallow body swimbait.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helped you out!

Kill 'em!
Old 03-04-09, 09:49 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

ummm yeah use a lizard or a crawdad imitator..... or use a sweet beaver..... you can use a jig but just barely (i mean barely) twitch it.... make it look like its eatin the eggs .... use a lighter jig ..... throw it past it, drag it onto the bed, and twitch...

hope you figure it out.... you can watch the jig video on youtube (Kevin's)
Old 03-04-09, 10:01 PM   #10
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

Try starting with a Black/ Blue in 3/8 size and a very small trailer. The bit you get will be a carry and drop just to get it out of her nest.
Old 03-04-09, 10:31 PM   #11
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
ummm yeah use a lizard or a crawdad imitator..... or use a sweet beaver..... you can use a jig but just barely (i mean barely) twitch it.... make it look like its eatin the eggs .... use a lighter jig ..... throw it past it, drag it onto the bed, and twitch...

hope you figure it out.... you can watch the jig video on youtube (Kevin's)

Better Idea from the West coast, dropsot a jig, I have used it and it works, you can pop it up in there face and move the jig with out taking the bait off the nest
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 10:57 PM   #12
keithdog

Congrats on your first tourney. Now your in for an education! Realize your in for a new experience and fishing againts fisherman who have plenty of experience. Pay attention to what they are doing, ask lots of questions, and learn, learn,learn. You can learn more from fishing against other successful fisherman than by reading any magazine. As for jigs, I would suggest going to the BPS wsebsite or calling them on the phone and ordering KVD's video, Pitching To Heavy Hitters. It not only gives you valuable info on those casting techniques, but also the lures to use with those techniques, including jig fishing. A good all around jig IMHO would be a swimming jig in say 1/4 and 1/2 oz with a trailer, like a Peca Chuck, or a Zoom Super Chunk. Black and blue seems to be a good all around color for the jig. But there may be other fisherman in your area that would have a better recommendation. Work in and around shallow to mid depth cover. I don't know the water you will be fishing so I won't try to tell you where to go. But from what I understand about fishing down there that far south this time of year, working areas where ditches feed into the lake are good. Places where the lake bottom drops by just a foot or two can be deadly as long as there is cover there also. I would be pithing to that cover and just working a slow steady retrieve to start with. But experiment and see what they want.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 12:25 AM   #13
SCJ89
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to SCJ89

My best bed lure has been a white tube the biggest tube you can find 7" is my favorite a friend hand pours mine but im sure there is others out there. I havent had to much luck on the beds with a jig but ive seen guys slam "em' on it.
Old 03-05-09, 12:38 AM   #14
cassidyta

A growing thing out here has been a senko on the bed. Gives the slow fall to the bed and a large profile as well. I will usually drop shot away from the bed with a small fluke. Try to smack the girl in the face and get an angry strike.

I had posted this once before, but it is goof info on sight fishing and beds.
http://sdfish.com/index.php/articles...t-fishing.html
Old 03-05-09, 12:57 AM   #15
carolina-rig-01

i do use jigs on beds from time to time. but i usually keep them on a back up rod. most of the time i start with a tube and after the fish acts like it is getting used to the tube or if i tear a tube up on a hookset i will go right back with a jig. it seems to me like most of the time i catch a bed fish on a jig is after i have already pissed it off with something else.
Old 03-05-09, 07:44 AM   #16
MrPhotographer06

wow Thanks guys.. alot to read and understand..

the lizards on the bed is something i knew but the tubes i didnt know about..

i've never jigged before haha so i was just curious if i could use it for that..
Old 03-05-09, 03:50 PM   #17
pacmanrocks
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
well as yall know i'm hoping to be fishing my first tourney at the end of the month.. the bass should be on the bed then here ..

i know nothing about jigs.. i threw mine once monday ..tried pitching into a little hole in the bryers.. and it got hung on the bryers when i pulled it out.

I've got to go practice pitching.. i'm about to go try it out..

but anywho

Jigs are suppose to resemble a crawfish on the bottom of the lake. You can fish them shallow or deep but it's best to throw them into cover (like wood and rocky areas). The football jigs are better when fishing deeper water or rocks. This is because the football jigs usually are a littler more heavier and they work good in deeper water because they make your line tighter on the fall and you can feel it on the bottom better. They don't tie up as much in rocks. If you are fishing shallow water then a normal jighead might work better depending on the structure. A lot of people usually use a crawfish imitator jig trailer on the back. It's better to use a smaller jig trailer when the water is colder and a bigger thumping trailer when the water is warm. I've seen guys use creature baits and even worms as a trailer though. It's best to have a trailer than not to have one. Color depends on your local forage. That's all I can tell you about them because I don't use them a lot.
pacmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 06:37 PM   #18
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

First off, Jigs are AWESOME for bed fishing! They allow you to create a compact profile bait that is hard for the bass to pick up without getting a hook, but is still heavy enough to stay in the bed for a long period of time.
Jigs are one of the most versatile baits that you can use! You're able to imitate everything from crawdads, to baitfish, to panfish, just depends on what you want to do. When it comes to bed fishing, I recommend a heavier jig than you would typically use. Generally a 3/4 to 1 oz jig so that it will stay in the bed longer while you're working it. And again, they work! This one was caught on a www.dirtyjigstackle.com No-Jack jig in 3/4 oz. The color is "bed buster", I wonder what it was designed for?
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:19 PM   #19
keithdog

Thats a beautiful bass Mat
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:57 PM   #20
MrPhotographer06

yeah.. i guess i'll try the jig on the beds then

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.