Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-20-08, 02:43 PM   #1
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up How many young fellers do we have on here?

Since I've joined you folks on here, I've detected a lot of psts and threads that indicate a lot of you are pretty young, and that is a great thing! I've checked a few of your profiles and confirmed my suspicions due to your honesty (putting your age in the profile). I firmly believe the health of this great sport lies in your interests and willingness to keep it alive.
I would like to see all of you, younger than 19 years of age, reply to this thread and tell us a bit about your experiences, where you fish, do you fish with your dad/mom, friends, etc.
The rest of you older fishingfolk, like me, are welcome to post your comments on this thread too (by all means!)!
Old 01-20-08, 02:45 PM   #2
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Tag One! Loud and Proud at 15!

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 06:10 PM   #3
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

im 16. i live in tennessee not to far from kentucky and barkley lake. i do most of my fishing on the cumberland river with my dad and my brother. i fish a few small club tournaments a week during the summer. im going to start fishing the b.a.s.s. tennessee central division and bfl music city division this year as a non boater. they are kind of like weekend series tournaments. i might also fish pbf with my dad this year. i guess ill be like some of you guys in the future (old fishingfolk) wondering where the sport of fishing is going to end up.
Old 01-20-08, 06:45 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

smithy
i agree the future of this sport lies in these young guys hands.kind of the reason alot of the older guys on here are unmarried with no kids.-like my self-we are passing it on to the young. though we have to hit them in the head with it on occasion..

zooker
Old 01-20-08, 08:50 PM   #5
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Funny stuff, Zooker, I've certainly added a couple to the genepool! My boys like other kinds of fishing more, my girls are the bassfishing folks though. When my oldest daughter was 16 years old there was no way I could be quiet enough to sneak out of the house early on a Saturday morning and not have her with me! (she's going on 40 and still loves it when she, my son-in-law and grandson come out from California)!

Basskicker, son, you live in Some great fishing country in middle TN. Some of my fondest tournament memories are on the Cumberland River and Lake Barkley! Hang in there, you are amongst some great bass fishing folks in that part of the country. If you ever stop by Cando Marine, tell Mr. Todd Morgan that you know Bob Smith and he might bust out in a big old grin! (if you guys ever wish to buy a bass boat or simply want to know how to get the best performance out of your rig, Todd is your man. He actually as a page on the BBC forum (Bass Boat Central).

Lunker Lander, I've watching some of your posts, and some of your threads. You keep asking the right questions and take these tips to the water and practice, you and the rest are going to be able to become better anglers than it took us a lifetime to achieve, in short order!

Come on now, I know there are some more young folks out there!!
Old 01-20-08, 09:37 PM   #6
fishing man
BassFishin.Com Member

16 years old right here, and will be a pro someday (at least thats what im shooting for) i live in ohio west of cleveland and only 15 miles from lake erie, i have been fishing for about 6 years and bass fishing for about 5 and allready know a lot.

right now i am suffering from cabin fever, and this year some of you might see me at some FLW and BASS tournaments.

i own a "boat" its just a little inflatable that i put a trollin motor on, and i mainly fish with my best friend and my girl friend.
fishing man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 09:46 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

16 here. When I get my driver's liscense, all I'll be doing is fishing.

Fishing Man, where you at west on cleveland? I'm just ouside of Toledo. Not much around here for bass fishing unless you wanna head out on Erie. Where do you mostly fish. I've found the best places are the reserviors that are out of town a ways.

BB
Old 01-22-08, 10:25 AM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Bob i could'nt agree more!!! The Animal lovers out there don't want to just end hunting but fishing as well. So we need a good supply of Young-N's for the future of this sport. The Anti's are every where. I feel fishing does not address this problem hard enough like the hunting industry does. Are future of this sport need's this to keep going.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:03 PM   #9
brushhog

If you get a chance to take a youngster fishin, do it. You'll be able to teach him the right way. My assistant football coach and I have been able, the last few seasons, to take some kids from our team fishin'. We preach the bible of catch and release, leave the lake better than you found it etc... Aside from teaching my own kids to fish, it was one of my more rewarding fishing trips!
Old 01-22-08, 04:31 PM   #10
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can tell you if you get the kids into fishing (and hunting) at a early age it will help keep them off the streets and out of trouble.

My dad taught me to fish when I was 4 years old and I started fishing club tournaments with him when I was 11 years old. Now my boy is 5 years old and LOVES to go fishing. He caught his first fish (a Crappie) all by himself last summer and can't get enough. It's awesome to see a 5 year old learning to cast and catch fish. I'm having a ball teaching him! There's not much that's more exciting then watching a young kid reel in a nice fish!!!

I know several kids who's parents never got them involved in the outdoors and they are into drugs and all kinds of crazy stuff. It's so unfortunate!

Last edited by BassAddict; 01-22-08 at 10:56 PM.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 08:10 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Thumbs up taking kids fishing

When I lived in Texas, the bass club I belonged to and several others around the DFW area used to have an annual Boys and Girls Club event on Lake Joe Pool. We would make sure for the girls that we had a woman onboard as well (there were plenty of bassfishing women in the DFW area). WE took all of the kids out for a 1/2 day low key tournament, had a weigh-in for them and gave trophies for the top ten places, and trophies for every species of fish caught, trophies larges and trophies for the smallest. In short we made sure that every kid won a special prize for something! Then we gave them a rod and reel and a bag full of tackle. Fed them hot dogs and hamburgers and took pictures with all of them.
We did that every year as long as there were kids available. Sadly the Boys and girls clubs kids grew up and succumbed to the neighborhoods in the inner cities for the most part.

It was good while they were young and many of them obviously enjoyed it tremendously for a number of reasons. A lot of them never even knew their dads and had no-one for a father figure. I would do it again.

The club I belonged to was not affiliated with FLW or BASS, so it was more affordable for families to join, and we kept it that way. More than money we fished for points and made sure the youngsters got to catch thier share of it. On more than one year some of our kids were in the top six right up there with the adults.

Something that has been brought to this thread is the threat of the anti-hunting/fishing (PETA People eating tasty animals) folks. That is a very real threat and if the next generation of fishing folks aren't vigilant, these people will overwhelm the various different legislative functions and we'll be sitting on the sidelines wondering what happened. We need to fight these folks at every turn and make sure they do NOT win!
Old 01-22-08, 11:33 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
We did that every year as long as there were kids available. Sadly the Boys and girls clubs kids grew up and succumbed to the neighborhoods in the inner cities for the most part.
Damn shame that happened to the Boys And Girls Club. Sad to see all those people who you saw going somewhere go right into the depths of a bad, bad road...

-Lunk-
Old 01-23-08, 12:09 AM   #13
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

18 years old about to turn 19 here in a few weeks ...but for the most part when spring hits through summer into fall you wont see me doing ne thing else. Bought my first boat last year, 2000 pro team bass tracker 16.5ft ...caught alot of nice fish over summer and spring ...just search "DUNDEE" and you can see!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:22 PM   #14
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Bob great topic,,boat,,lure's,,rod-reel,,cheaper than a lawyer,,and alot more fun,,one of the Warren bro. does a wake up call on his show,,they went around and ask young folks,,,jr. high , high school age and i could not believe some of the things these kids where saying,,it's not that they were ANTI they just didn't know
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:40 PM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdaddy View Post
Bob great topic,,boat,,lure's,,rod-reel,,cheaper than a lawyer,,and alot more fun,,one of the Warren bro. does a wake up call on his show,,they went around and ask young folks,,,jr. high , high school age and i could not believe some of the things these kids where saying,,it's not that they were ANTI they just didn't know
But many of there parents are. Because of that that will corrupt there since of the sport.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 08:15 PM   #16
PowerBass

Im gonna be 18 in a few days. I fish in a club, Five Alive Bassmasters. I have my own boat, 2006 Bass Tracker PT 170 TX. I fish many lakes across NJ, took my Personal Best, 5lbs(see Avatar) from one of the Assunpink Lakes, Rising Sun. Getting ready fro the 08 season to start up in March.
Old 01-23-08, 10:03 PM   #17
senko

I turned 14 in October. I'm a Freshman in high school and have been fishing since I was 2 (my dad cast out the rod for me and let me hold it. I was in a walker.) My fishing waters are the San Joaquin River (delta) and lakes around my area. Besides that addicting sport known as bass fishing, I fish for about everything else around here. I love trout fishin' on streams up in the Sierras for those native Browns and Brookies(Rainbows,too.) I also hunt ducks, pheasants, doves, quail, deer, and a lot of other game. I look forward to shooting my first buck, along with a pig. Right now I'm teaching my girlfriend how to fish(and she loves it!) My parents showed me school work I wrote in first grade one time. I wrote a paragraph saying how much I like bass fishing. I consider myself extremely lucky to have a dad who loves the outdoors so much and decided to share it with me when I couldn't even walk yet. I'm also looking forward to joining some sort of bass club, to get started in tournaments and the like.
Old 01-23-08, 10:04 PM   #18
Bob Smith

WE have six of you young guys so far, You need to pull some of your buddies onto the forum also. Surely you guys have buddies that fish with you?
Old 01-23-08, 10:05 PM   #19
senko

Wow I went a little overboard...
Old 01-23-08, 10:14 PM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
Not at all! I really enjoyed the read. I hope you accomplish all that and hope you are successful in getting your girlfriend interested! If there is anything you have questions on, jump in here and give us a shot at getting an answer for you!
Old 01-23-08, 10:21 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
come on seko tell us how you really feel about it...

zooker
Old 01-23-08, 10:29 PM   #22
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
WE have six of you young guys so far, You need to pull some of your buddies onto the forum also. Surely you guys have buddies that fish with you?
I have a buddy I got started fishing in the U.P. of Michigan; pike fishing and walleye fishing. He now goes with me about twice a week, every week in the Summer. He also caught himself a dandy 6.5 pounder at the local pond behind our high school. Good to see another person into the sport. Too bad he doesn't have the Internet...

-Lunk-
Old 01-24-08, 03:15 PM   #23
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
I have a buddy I got started fishing in the U.P. of Michigan; pike fishing and walleye fishing. He now goes with me about twice a week, every week in the Summer. He also caught himself a dandy 6.5 pounder at the local pond behind our high school. Good to see another person into the sport. Too bad he doesn't have the Internet...

-Lunk-
Get him over to see your internet activity, maybe he can pump mom and dad for a wholesome use for the internet, like fishing forums!
Old 01-24-08, 06:21 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I really only know of one person at my school who fishes. And that's surpising cause I go to school out in the country. 99% of the guy and some of the girls hunt though. weird, I always thought that hunting and fishing went together. Although I fish and don't hunt. Oh well, not I'm just confusing myself....

BB
Old 01-24-08, 07:00 PM   #25
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I really only know of one person at my school who fishes. And that's surpising cause I go to school out in the country. 99% of the guy and some of the girls hunt though. weird, I always thought that hunting and fishing went together. Although I fish and don't hunt. Oh well, not I'm just confusing myself....

BB
Try getting a few of them to hang out with you. They may find that they like it as much as you do, and we'ld be really happy with that!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.