Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 10-19-09, 01:01 PM   #1
WoodyBuck
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Maine Forage - Match the Hatch

Hi Maineiac, (and whoever can help with this question). Have a question for you. You are one of the few Maine fisherman I have seen on this site. In Maine, what is the primary forage? From what I read shad is a southern forage. I have every shad lure and plastic made, I never catch beans with them. When you look into Maine lake waters - what do you see? Maybe I need better polarized glasses! This is a serious question. Anyone else from the north-east please jump in. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.
WoodyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 12:00 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Woody,

These fish are the most common type of baitfish in Maine. However, I wouldn't focus too much on trying to mimic them, instead try to locate where the baitfish are...also keep in mind Bass tend to eat just about anything that moves and they will hit a foreign looking bait if the mood strikes them

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/spe...n/baitfish.htm
Old 10-20-09, 12:48 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The bass here in upstate NY seem to be coughing up a lot of crayfish and perch. There are perch all over the place. There are also a lot of smelt in the deeper lakes, but I don't know if the bass go down after them or not since they seem to be way down there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 01:49 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have never been to Maine, but I have read that one of the primary forage fish there is alewife, a kind of herring. Close enough to shad that a shad artifical should be taken readily.
Old 10-20-09, 04:16 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Negative on the alewife..although they can be found in Maine they are no where near as prominent as shiners/smelts/chubs/crayfish
Old 10-22-09, 09:44 PM   #6
WoodyBuck
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys - much appreciated. Will go with the shiner and smelt look a likes worked slowly next weekend. Will make presentations ten feet from shore line and work them into deeper water. Thinking of using drop shot method and small jigs with trailers.
WoodyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.