Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-22-13, 08:52 PM   #26
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I use 3/8 oz in blue shiner, green shiner (my fav), firetiger, perch and red craw.
Old 11-29-13, 09:51 PM   #27
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Hmmm....maybe I have been too limited in my lipless throwing??????
Think of them as the only crank with no predetermined diving depth, they dive as deep as you allow them to, they can be retrieved from arthritic snail pace up to warp speed, you can scratch the bottom or burn the surface, so many ways to retrieve them. The only problem with them is that they hang up or catch all sorts of junk ( like weeds and algae ) but they also help you determine more or less how deep those obstacles are so you can reel above them.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 03:56 PM   #28
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Part of the trouble with me using them year round is that the milfoil grows so think and to or near to the surface that a lipless cranks wouldn't stand a chance. But with the heavy weed kill this year, that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Agreed in thick weeds not an option,

One thing you can do when fishing weeds is to remove a barb that hangs down on the treble hook. It's not totally weedless but helps tremendously. I like to upsize to a #2 treble when going that route but a #4 will work as is shown in the picture.One might say you won't hook all your bites, they do pretty well and they are fished where they need to be in order to get bit.I hope this helps.

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-01-13 at 04:14 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 04:07 PM   #29
pig n jig

Don't know if your lakes turn over or not where your at but they do here.During that time, the bass suspend over deeper water and it is the time to use a suspended trap.I like the Lewis Rat L traps, the suspending ones are called red zone Rat L traps but Cordell and others make a suspending trap. work it like a jerkbait by sweeping the rod tip and pausing.They will pause but then eventually start sinking so the pause sweep motion is a little quicker, you can cover a lot of water, once you find them you can slow down with a pointer if need be.
Old 12-01-13, 05:53 PM   #30
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
How large of a selection of traps do you "devotees" carry? I believe in 1/4oz & 1/2oz in a high flash (blue back/silver sides), low flash natural color (painted bluegill or shad) and a high contrast bright (firetiger). That covers it for me.

oe
I've been trying to narrow it down.This is what I've got since narrowing it down but I've got to rearrange some more in and out before spring. I like fishing jigs and traps.

The red eyes sort of suck for lasting finish,same pretty much goes for the Cordell super spots but I fish them harder since they are cheaper and more affordable to replace if lost. These in the box are unfished ones for next year. I 've got some with hardly any finish on them.I plan on drilling them and experimenting with rattles and weight modifications.
Old 12-01-13, 08:06 PM   #31
keithdog

I get the feeling your really like traps. Since I started this post I have found a lake about an hour from my house where traps so far seem to out catch everything else. Too early to say really as I only fished it twice this fall, but traps were slaying the fish.
Old 12-07-13, 08:31 AM   #32
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I get the feeling your really like traps. Since I started this post I have found a lake about an hour from my house where traps so far seem to out catch everything else. Too early to say really as I only fished it twice this fall, but traps were slaying the fish.
Those traps will work whenever you put them onto fish in any lake. I have some that don't get fished in certain lakes because of the toothy critters that don't like to give them back once they strike them but for the most part traps will catch everything that swims if you give them a chance to work.
Old 12-11-13, 03:25 PM   #33
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good thread guys! I have a few traps in my boat fished them a few times but never had any luck... You guys have convinced me to give them another try. I hate throwing crankbaits, but this seems like a better option for me because of the different retrieves I can use. Hopefully I can learn this technique and it will help me become a more versatile fisherman. In past years, I've had trouble catching good fish early in the year maybe this will help me out!
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 07:35 PM   #34
pig n jig

Take a look at Vagabond traps.

Old 12-13-13, 12:33 AM   #35
b.a.s.17

Those look really good! What sets them apart from other lipless crankbaits? At $16 I'd be affraid to lose one!
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 03:52 PM   #36
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
Those look really good! What sets them apart from other lipless crankbaits? At $16 I'd be affraid to lose one!
Yeah, too rich for my blood.
Hurst bad enough losin an Aruku Shad!
Old 12-13-13, 05:44 PM   #37
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
I don't know what it is that sets them apart but they catch fish. The bass often slam them with a vengeance. They are a one knocker type rattle in them, very small profile and beautifully detailed. A work of art that really works.$16 sounds stupid crazy but I find myself looking forward to buying more of them.
Old 12-15-13, 01:22 PM   #38
F16 1UB

Default Year Round

I don't have the ice like many of you but switched from Rattle Traps & Strike King Red Eyes to Spro Aruku Shad 1/2 - 5/8 oz....the finish is MUCH better & doesn't peel off like some of the others. I've not found any foil finish that'll withstand my abuse. I don't pick the hydrilla off the hooks after each cast....I smack the water with the lure. Of course they won't last but Spro lures do.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 10:46 AM   #39
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
I don't have the ice like many of you but switched from Rattle Traps & Strike King Red Eyes to Spro Aruku Shad 1/2 - 5/8 oz....the finish is MUCH better & doesn't peel off like some of the others. I've not found any foil finish that'll withstand my abuse. I don't pick the hydrilla off the hooks after each cast....I smack the water with the lure. Of course they won't last but Spro lures do.
I do have a couple Spro Aruku Shads in the 1/2 oz. and they do catch fish. The biggest bass of the year for me had it not come unbuttoned at the side of the boat was on a Aruku shad, silver/black back. I have two different ones that are 4 years old now and they still look like new.
Old 12-23-13, 08:05 PM   #40
pig n jig

Buy traps often. I use to preach the aruku shad like crazy here years ago.I don't buy them now but am liking the cell mate color a lot, might have to spring for that color.
Old 08-31-14, 06:40 PM   #41
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I have one rigged all year long. They catch fish for me. I throw it instead of a spinnerbait.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.