Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-11-10, 02:16 PM   #51
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassMan View Post
When using my boat, St Croix Legends, with 5600 Garcia reels. In boat with a weekend neighbor that is kinda wild use Johnny Morris Elite rods with 5600 reels.
Next year going to try fishing for fun, going "retro"! Restored a bunch of fiberglass rods from the 50s an 60s will be using vintage Ambassador reels with no bearings! Smooth as silk! For crankbaits, nothing but Heddon River Runts an other old stuff. BTW, the Runts in yellow shore minnow worked great this year. Even have a few spools of the old braided line.
Thats pretty cool , going retro. I bet that would be a good time.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 06:26 PM   #52
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a mix, crucial, St. Croix, Abu, Ugly Stik, Fenwick, but I am becoming partial to the Cabela's Fish Eagle rods. I've got two casting and two spinning. I really like them. The price is only 79.95 and they feel like rods that cost near 130.00. I fished them quite a bit this summer and am very satisfied.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 01:44 AM   #53
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Falcon. Still have yet to find a better factory rod. I have no reason to switch at this point in time. I started with them 11 years ago, and have yet to have a rod break.
Same here. All my rods are Low Riders with a few Caras. Great rods and won't break the bank.
Old 12-21-10, 08:05 PM   #54
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a few ugly sticks, but have 3 carrot stix and love them
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 08:50 PM   #55
woody

Kistler
Falcon
St. Croix
American Rodsmith

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:10 PM   #56
philipj
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

I have never had a favorite rod manufacturer. I shop, and have found very good spinning rods in discount stores. Pick it up, play with it, how does it fee. Just like the one you dropped an anchor on?? I have just purchased the most expensive spinning rod ever, it was marked down to under $30.00. That's affordable, and I am happy with it.
philipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 07:10 PM   #57
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipj View Post
Pick it up, play with it, how does it fee. Just like the one you dropped an anchor on?? I have just purchased the most expensive spinning rod ever, it was marked down to under $30.00. That's affordable, and I am happy with it.
Huh?!

most expensive spinning rod marked under $30?!

BB
Old 12-24-10, 11:47 AM   #58
philipj
BassFishin.Com Member

I was recently at a seminar and Skeet Reese was asking how many men fished with a Yellow rod. No one responded. He then complained that we had to spend more money on his yellow rods that were marked down to $80.00.

I enjoy our neighbor Kevin Van Dam, but I will never justify spending $129.00 to own a rod with his name on it. He is a terriffic fisherman, with all the tools, keeps thin to look good on TV and is a very good salesman. We are proud of him. It is easy to admit that that a series of lures with KVD on them was in an overstocked price reduced box, that turned out the be real fish catchers. $1.69 was a right price.

Last edited by philipj; 12-25-10 at 10:29 AM.
philipj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 02:55 PM   #59
BigBassin144

I'm still completely lost. The first part of that post made no sense at all. I think you need to reread your posts and either change them to make sense or repost what you're trying to say, but in English this time.

BB
Old 12-25-10, 07:51 PM   #60
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm still completely lost. The first part of that post made no sense at all. I think you need to reread your posts and either change them to make sense or repost what you're trying to say, but in English this time.

BB

This is just a guess here, but I think he means HIS most expensive rod ever.
If he bought THE most expensive spinning rod ever for 30 bucks, it was out the back of a van, and the seller REALLY needed a fix
Old 12-25-10, 07:58 PM   #61
MallenManson

As far as the second part goes though, I don't see where Skeet or KVD's name on a rod drove the price to the moon.
I own rods more expensive than that (although I've never spent $129 since I'm a bargain bin shopper) and the only name on them is the manufacturer.
Like anything, from a truck, to a gun, to a cut of meat, you do get what you pay for, within reason.
When you see KVD's or Skeet's name on a rod, they're not putting that on a $15 rod and setting their price point on name recognition. They're putting their own personal ideas and preferences into the actual design of an already established rod designer.
I'd value KVD's name on a rod or reel a helluva lot more than I'd value Michael Jordan's name on a pair of Nikes
Old 12-25-10, 08:47 PM   #62
bassn1
BassFishin.Com Member

First post for me I think. Anyway I own Falcon, Kistler and St. Croix. After fishing with all three I felt that the biggest bang for my buck was Falcon. Hardly any difference in weight, action between the three and the Falcons fit my wallet the best. Have many of the originals, moved to the Low riders, ( have more of these than any other ). This year I am starting the upgrade to the Cara Micro - Guide series. JMHO
bassn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 08:57 PM   #63
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassn1 View Post
First post for me I think. Anyway I own Falcon, Kistler and St. Croix. After fishing with all three I felt that the biggest bang for my buck was Falcon. Hardly any difference in weight, action between the three and the Falcons fit my wallet the best. Have many of the originals, moved to the Low riders, ( have more of these than any other ). This year I am starting the upgrade to the Cara Micro - Guide series. JMHO

bassn1...your humble opinion is more than enough for us
Welcome to the biggest family on the net!
Old 12-26-10, 03:27 PM   #64
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
This is just a guess here, but I think he means HIS most expensive rod ever.
If he bought THE most expensive spinning rod ever for 30 bucks, it was out the back of a van, and the seller REALLY needed a fix
That makes sense, I guess I never thought about it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
As far as the second part goes though, I don't see where Skeet or KVD's name on a rod drove the price to the moon.
I own rods more expensive than that (although I've never spent $129 since I'm a bargain bin shopper) and the only name on them is the manufacturer.
Like anything, from a truck, to a gun, to a cut of meat, you do get what you pay for, within reason.
When you see KVD's or Skeet's name on a rod, they're not putting that on a $15 rod and setting their price point on name recognition. They're putting their own personal ideas and preferences into the actual design of an already established rod designer.
I'd value KVD's name on a rod or reel a helluva lot more than I'd value Michael Jordan's name on a pair of Nikes
For the most part, I agree with that as well. I'd never buy a rod just because it's got someones name on it, but I don't think it would prevent me from buying it if it was truly a good rod.

Also, in the case of Skeet, he actually designed his rods to be affordable. And you do make some compromises when you build a rod to sell for $100. But I don't think, like Mallen said, it's a $15 rod that they slapped KVD or Skeet's name on and raised the price to $100.

BB
Old 12-26-10, 03:54 PM   #65
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As far as a favorite brand, I really like American Rodsmith. I have a couple Castaway rods that I really like and I have a lot of other brands of rods that I use all the time. My rod shopping usually depends on what the store has at the time and the amount that my wallet will allow.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 05:24 PM   #66
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

I have several Fenwick Techna AV rods that are my favorite by far. I also have a couple of St Croix cranking rofs that I really like. I have a few Shimano Crucial spinning rods and they are ok. I have a few BPS Bionic Blades and they are nice for the price. I think my least favorite are the Kistler rods that I have, I just don't like the way they feel.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 06:17 PM   #67
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Only Falcon for me. Caras are my preference.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 09:05 AM   #68
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

7foot mojo H
7foot mojo MH
66 mojo MH
7foot vendetta MH
7foot vendetta M
7foot st croix spinrod
SJRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 01:19 PM   #69
ted4800
BassFishin.Com Member

Call me old and a horder if U want I still have and use Two Berkley lightening rods, One quarrow and an old (20 yrs) Cotton Cordell, Been looking but with money tight probably wont be til Summer before I get the chance to purchase a new rod.
ted4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 11:18 AM   #70
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

I like powell rods becasue they are light so you can fish with them all day and there are many differnt types of rod to suit your fishing.

Frank
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 01:22 PM   #71
pig n jig

My favorite rods are the Gary Yamamoto tournament rods but I have a bunch of different brands.The yamamoto are not the lightest or the easiest to stow as they are 1 peice 7'6 " rods.They have unbelievable sensitivity for detecting bites.Castaway rods are what I use to preach but I have many other brands that I haven't wanted to get rid of yet.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:26 PM   #72
jigman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Favorite Brand Of Rods

Falcons are the only ones I use; I really like them.
jigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 04:57 PM   #73
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

GLoomis MBR GLX & IMX for me.
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 05:16 PM   #74
BigBurlyBass

Quantum.

Old 01-12-11, 10:26 PM   #75
Deacon

Dobyns Dobyns Dobyns.....Did I mention Dobyns. Hes a awesome guy that I am proud to call a friend and just so happens he makes the best rods on the planet!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.