Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-13-11, 09:29 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default $150-$200 casting reels?

Hey guys. I'm gonna try get a new baitcaster this summer. It'll be an all around rod at least until we get a boat, after that probably a worm, jig, TW rod.

I'm think revo SX, or STX, Lews torn. pro Speed spool, Daiwa HSTA, and even a curado, and Quantum smoke.

My #1 attribute is cast-ability. Smoothness on the casts, accuracy, and the ability to cast lighter lures if need be (under 1/4oz). A smooth strong drag is also pretty important, as the lakes get pretty weedy in the summer, making the revo a pretty good option. I'm however leaning more toward the Daiwa (which I've handled an find quite comfortable), and the Lews.

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 05-13-11, 09:42 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The HSTA has been on my "to get" list for about 3 years now, I just haven't pulled the trigger for one reason or another but I know for a fact that it is a good reel. It does have a pretty large profile though. I got the chance to fish one of Tavery's Lew's Tournament Pro's for an hour or so. I was really impressed with the reel. It is really smooth on the cast and retrieve, casts for good distance, palms beautifully and is really light. I plan for it to be my next reel purchase.
Old 05-13-11, 09:49 PM   #3
Tavery5

I own a majority of the reels on your list. I can say without hesitation that my favorite is the Lews Tournament Pro Speed Spool. It measures up in every catagory to the other reels on this list. The only unknown of this reel is durability. TT done a good review of this reel recently, and it scored fantastic.

The Lews TP1H is very good at casting both light and heavy baits, very smooth retrieve, casts a far as any reel I own, has a very good drag and braking system, light and has a durabile finish and I like the fact that it comes with a carbon fiber handle. For me it is the right reel, it has all the features that I look for in a reel, and is very affordable.

You might want to give some consideration to the Pflueger Patriarch XT, it is a very solid reel in the same price range and has as good or better features as the other reels you mentioned.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlewstournamentpro.html

Last edited by Tavery5; 05-13-11 at 09:57 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:58 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I did see the review on TT Tav! I though it was pretty good, I think they could have gone into a little more detail about the casting on it though! Glad to hear it's working well for ya tav, sounds like a stellar reel!
Old 05-13-11, 10:05 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks guys! I did see the review on TT Tav! I though it was pretty good, I think they could have gone into a little more detail about the casting on it though! Glad to hear it's working well for ya tav, sounds like a stellar reel!

I now own three of the TP1H, and recently purchased the SS1S, for a total of four. The SS1S is a great entry level reel, it casts fantastic and comes with a 95MM alum. handle in the 5.1:1 gear ratio. This reel in my opinon may be one of the best entry level reels on the market.
Old 05-13-11, 10:19 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I now own three of the TP1H, and recently purchased the SS1S, for a total of four. The SS1S is a great entry level reel, it casts fantastic and comes with a 95MM alum. handle in the 5.1:1 gear ratio. This reel in my opinon may be one of the best entry level reels on the market.
I gotta wonder how the SS1 compares with the PQ, it lack the duel brakes...
Old 05-13-11, 10:52 PM   #7
Tavery5

I own a PQ and agree that dual braking is a nice option. I believe the SS1 is a better casting reel and has a smoother retrieve, also has a great handle on the low speed version. Ultimately it will come down to the user and what he prefers in a reel.
Old 05-13-11, 10:55 PM   #8
Jrob78

I would also think about the Pflueger Patriarch that TW has on sale for $150.
Old 05-14-11, 08:00 AM   #9
rrw4258

I now have 5 of the Quantum Smokes, and they are a sweet reel for sure... and even the big 150 models are 6.8 ounces. I love them that is for sure. The casting distance is UNBELIVABLE! They definately outcast my BPS Pro Qualifiers. The smoke is a little noiser on the cast but it is tolerable for me.

Ryan
Old 05-14-11, 10:05 AM   #10
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would go with the revo or the Curado. im fishin the same stuff as you and these reels get the job done. I really do love the citica200e
Old 05-14-11, 11:51 AM   #11
BigBurlyBass

get the smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 12:35 PM   #12
MIbasser

I would buy a camera first.

Just sayin'....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 03:01 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I would buy a camera first.

Just sayin'....
Not a bad idea... I'd rather have a new reel though. :::
Old 05-15-11, 10:25 AM   #14
Bassboss

I checked out the Smoke and Curado last night at gander. And I wasn't to impressed with either. The Smoke felt sorta cheep a "loose" to me. The Curado felt better, but still loose. Both reels were very smooth and free spooled for a long time though! They didn't have any Lews, or the Daiwas.
Old 05-15-11, 05:13 PM   #15
bassinbob

Try the Okuma Cayanne. It's $69 with a $20 dollar rebate. It has the Japanese abec bearings. I bought one and the reel is sweet. It is very smooth and casts a mile. Look for it on Monster fishing. I'm ordering 2 more, today is the last day.
Old 05-19-11, 11:38 AM   #16
dave0943

Default Lew's casting reels

I pulled the trigger on a Lew's TS!H BC reel and a Lew's 7' MH speed stick rod. I'll be watching for the UPS truck! I bought this combo without see it in person. This isn't the way I usually buy gear. Many seasons ago I bought a few speed sticks and they were decent rods. The reel I bought is the second in the line up, having all the bling of the top of the line, except for one less bearing. It has dual brakes, doesn't weigh much, and looks awesome. It does have aluminum frame. The reviews that I have read were all good. I'll write a review when I've had a chance to fish it for a while.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 04:28 PM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I shouldn't even post because you know, I vote Curado. A poet and didn't know it. Who'd thunk it. Anyways, I throw 4" worms t-rigged with 1/16'oz bullets on my 7' worm rod. I am anxious to get my Okuma Serrano on a rod and see how it performs.
Old 05-26-11, 07:52 PM   #18
flippin4it

Curado hands down.... Throw an array of baits with it and ALL doubt is gone...
Old 05-28-11, 04:01 PM   #19
Cavs1123

smokethis post is plenty long
Old 05-28-11, 04:21 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Fuegos can be had on eBay for under $200. Great reel for prices like those.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.