Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-11, 09:16 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lets define "finesse fishing"

Seems to me that a lot of people have misconceptions about the difference between power fishing and finesse. Since this forum has 5 or 10 times more guests than members I thought it might be a worthy topic to discuss/clarify.
Finesse fishing is usually thought of as light line/little lure/spinning gear.
Power fishing=heavy line/full size lure/baitcasting gear.
While both of those may apply I see it differently. If I tell my partner we're about to turn the TM on low/med and leave it there while we work down a 1/2 mile creek channel with deep cranks, 12lb flouro spooled on Curado 300's that is Power fishing. If I tell them we're about to anchor at the end of a rocky point and work every inch of the drop with a 4" weightless senko on 6lb test spooled on a Stradic 2500 thats finesse. But I think more important than lure/line/tackle is the mindset. If I'm moving fast looking for those high percentage spots or covering water in a hurry trying to pattern fish ...I'm power fishing regardless of the bait. If I'm trying to "hand feed" bass that I know are there, again regardless of bait, I'm finesse fishing.Can you power fish with #5 Floating Rapala and finesse with a spinnerbait? Can you power fish while anchored or finesse on high?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this and I think it would help a lot of our "guests" as well.
Old 11-09-11, 09:57 PM   #2
lilmule

Well I can think of several ways to powerfish while sitting still or going slow,its in making the bait go faster covering water and a reaction strike,example c rig bushhog and a flat with a drop off,the fish inhaling on the drop off,and or wanting the bait moving fast.In sitting in one place however wouldnt take long to cover it all,yet may just want it moved fast in the same place where all are bunched up at.
Skakeyheads both worlds can be twitched moved fast or even swam.
The only spinnerbait pattern I can think of that could be finesse would be a small stan sloan tossed in by stumps and inhaled on the drop.
And yes one i think can power fish with an sr5 or a floating rapala,bumping it into man made structures and corners of such things like abuttments,barges etc.
So no set rules and some can cross over to some degree.
One could argue that power fishing is to find fish and finesse not only for a tough bite but at times to finish off what was found,as not all want a steak some want dessert.
One pro uses cranks to get a limit then worms slowly with as lil weight as possible to work on it,as some wont hit his crankbait.

Last edited by lilmule; 11-09-11 at 10:12 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 11:05 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Under most circumstances, he's me definitions:

Power fishing:
Usually heavy lines (>10lb), sup surface, off-the-bottom (excluding DD cranks), fast moving presentation, a bait caster is typically used.

Finesse fishing:
Light lines (<10lb), on-the-bottom, slow moving presentation, a spinning rod and reel is typically used,.

The exception to the "rule" is when you're searching for fish, moving fast, hitting targets as you go. Anything goes, jigs, spinnerbaits, cranks, top waters, shaky heads, drop shots or what have you... It's power fishing in my book.
Old 11-10-11, 02:10 AM   #4
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think it can be a couple of different things. I think I’m a power angler even though I love to anchor on a spot and bombard that stump,hump, or creek channel with my cranks, chatter baits, or jigs. I think the power fishing is covering water fast. With that being said I think I finesse/power fish as well. Reason why is I use 6lb braid often for cranking and also will often use ¼ oz cranks even though I’m still working water quickly. The 6lb braid lets me throw smaller cranks while getting to a depth that wouldn’t be achieved with larger mono or fluorocarbon. i also will sometimes use lighter (slow action) rods.....something not typical with power fishing. So in one way I’m finesse fishing but I’m still power fishing. Just my 2 cents.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:04 AM   #5
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

IMO:

Power Fishing: Using larger baits in a med to fast cast & reel presentation looking for a reaction bite and to cover alot of water quickly. Generally using as stated above 10 lb line or more.

Finesse Fishing: A slow more natural presentation targeting the more finicky bass in a found area to fish it out when the bite stops or to entice a hunger bite in colder water. Generally as stated above using 10 lb line or less, with spinning reel or baitcaster. There are quite a few 'finesse" baitcasters hitting the market so more anglers seem to be using them.

I personally just don't care for spinning reels. I do have some and have used them in the past but not a huge fan. In general I think "Power" is most often used to mean "Speed" not "Strength".
Old 11-10-11, 10:31 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I'm pretty much in line with the above with just a minor adjustment:

Power Fishing: Using larger baits in a med to fast cast & reel presentation looking for a reaction bite and aggressive fish to cover alot of water quickly. Generally using as stated above 10 lb line or more.

Finesse Fishing: A slow more natural presentation targeting non-aggressive fish in a found area to fish it out when the bite stops or to entice a hunger bite in colder water or deeper water, with a dropshot for example. Generally as stated above using 10 lb line or less, with spinning reel or baitcaster. There are quite a few 'finesse" baitcasters hitting the market so more anglers seem to be using them.

I almost always (in prime season) start out "power fishing" usually with a spinnerbait, chatterbait or shallow to mid-range crankbait. I aways have a backup worm or senko on the deck to follow up in a good looking area that the 1st choice does not produce or if it does produce a fish or two then shuts down, and if it really looks good I throw a little 4" worm at the best looking areas before I leave. Note - I rarely fish tournaments, so I take the time when fishing good looking or known spots. Tournament fishing is a whole 'nuther ball game, takes a lot of the "fun" (for me) out of fishing which is one reason why I seldom do it. This time of year, on those few days I get out in the kayak, I'm pretty much using the "finesse" approach all the time.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-10-11 at 10:42 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 01:55 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

What about this. FROGGIN!! You run down a bank loaded with lilly pads, laydowns and stumps throwing a frog for an hour. You notice that all your fish were holding right on the bank wherever the biggest laydowns met the pads. So you circle back, focus on only those exact places, but now you take the time to work each key spot carefully with the same frog set-up. Someone riding by on the highway that happened to look out the window at you as they rode by would swear you were doing the exact same thing at 7am and 8am.
Old 11-10-11, 03:25 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I wouldn't do that - circle back (especially within an hour), hit the same spots (where from your supposition bass were caught), with the same bait, because I would basically be doing the same exact thing, the passerby would not have to assume it. I might circle back and hit them with a different lure, but not repeat the same presentation. Trying the 2nd time with a jig, or crawling a Senko over the pads and letting it drop down between them which can be killer, especially with fish blowing up on a frog and not getting hooked up. I might go back several hours later and try a frog again, but not right away.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-10-11 at 05:34 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 04:13 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

I guess I used the term circle back more as a transition point in the comparison rather than literally. Substitute " so for the next hour" in place of "so you circle back". However I can imagine a scenario where I've been Power fishing a frog (or whatever) for an hour and decided to "circle back" and cover the same water much more carefully (slower/methodically) with the same bait they were blowing up on during the Power run.
Old 02-07-12, 07:59 AM   #10
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I tend to think of them in different cattegories, where as power fishing to me is how quickly you move and efficiently cover water and finesse fishing being using smaller line, baits, and equipment, but you can still power fish finesse baits and equipment. I also agree with the other deffinitions I've read of both, so I guess an angler is going to need to define how he is using each term when he is using them.
Old 02-07-12, 11:10 AM   #11
NewfoundLakerMal
BassFishin.Com Member

Up in my neck of the woods (NH) the lakes I fish rarely have any sizable structure to fish so it really doesn't matter whether you consider it Power or finesse fishing. Basically, if I am in the 20 foot plus depths, I am going to be using baitcasters with jigs and if I am in the shallows, I will be using crankbaits on either spinning or baitcasting gear. My lakes are really clear so it's important to make sure the lure used matches the bait fish.
NewfoundLakerMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 01:01 PM   #12
keithdog

I generally think of any technique that makes me yawn, stretch and start to day dream as a finesse technique.
Old 02-11-12, 01:08 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I generally think of any technique that makes me yawn, stretch and start to day dream as a finesse technique.
That's interesting...when I'm working a finesse bait it's usually cause I have located a specific area that's holding some fish I want to touch. You know how they say blind people develop an exceptional sense of hearing, touch etc? Well when I'm workng a 4" finesse or a #5 Rapala or a drop shot....seems like my sense of touch and focus climbs off the chart.
Old 02-11-12, 08:51 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
That's interesting...when I'm working a finesse bait it's usually cause I have located a specific area that's holding some fish I want to touch. You know how they say blind people develop an exceptional sense of hearing, touch etc? Well when I'm workng a 4" finesse or a #5 Rapala or a drop shot....seems like my sense of touch and focus climbs off the chart.
Your right Ken. I'd have to agree. I'm just more of a run and gun guy, but I have to admit that when I've slowed down and gone to more of a subtle finesse type application, the anticipation gets strong as well as all the senses.
Old 02-12-12, 12:58 PM   #15
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I think power fishing and finesse fishing are more of a presentation style than a specific technique. Certain techniques are generally fished as either a finesse or power fishing style but that doesn't mean you can't fish it both ways. A shakey head is normally fished slowly with a small 1/8th ounce jig head and 4 inch worm(finesse fishing). But you can still power fish a shakey head. I have used a shakey head with a 1/2 ounce head and an 8 inch worm and fished it very fast with aggressive hops and caught fish. I would definitely call that power fishing. A swimbait is normally very large and fished fairly fast(power fishing). I have also crawled a 4 inch swimbait over rocks to catch finicky fish (finesse fishing). IMO it's the presentation not the technique itself.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.