Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-05-12, 07:01 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Bandit Crank modifications.

While watching the Super Bowl pregame show, I used that time to make hook modifications to my Bandits. I LOVE BANDITS!!! But I have always thought their hooks were on the small side. I believe they come with #6 size hooks. I don't loose many fish on Bandits, but I do loose some and I think hook size is a major factor. The top two Bandits in the photo are rigged with their factory installed #6 hooks. I removed those from the remaining Bandits and replaced them with #4 Mustad Tripple grips, the X2 short shank version. There are a couple here that I have installed the red regular Tripple Grips in #4 as well. I liked the way the red hooks looked on those. There is one Bandit here that I installed a single Tripple Grip to the belly portion of the lure leaving off the rear hook. That one is an experiment to see if I have any decrease in hookup ratio with a larger sized single hooked Bandit. I'd like to ask if anyone has tried using one larger treble hook on their Bandits. They are such small morstles that I would think any bass that hits one is going to engulf it whole. Why would I try using just one treble you ask? Well, for one, it is one less treble to worry about getting impaled in your hand when you remove it from a freshly caught big bass. Also, I'm curious to see if the lures action increases with only one treble. And lastly, one less treble, in my mind, is one less hook to snag on anything durring the retrieve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandits.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	7571  
Old 02-05-12, 07:07 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My what treble youve gone to.

Actually the one with belly hook only will dive deeper.
As for hookup ratio,im waiting on the report from use age
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 11:59 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hook size is something that has always scared me with Bandits. I never had problems with losing fish with them but I always had a feeling that I could develope that problem anytime. I started switching the factory hooks out with the KVD Triple Grips before ever fishing them and *knock on wood* I haven't lost a good fish on them since. I don't know how short the shanks are on the X2 short shank Triple Grips but the shanks on the KVD's are super short which allows you to go up a size in the hook without dealing with the hooks getting tangled together.

As for the one hook idea, I am interested in hearing what you discover with this idea.
Old 02-06-12, 10:21 AM   #4
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My treble hook preference = XCalibur Tx3 kirbed trebles (I don't fish heavy wooded cover).

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 02:18 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am pretty fanatical about changing hooks on crankbaits. I always go up one size with a short shank hook, like the KVD's, on smaller baits like Bandits. Gamakatsu also makes a really good short shank round bend 2X hook, I sometimes like using them also. I usually like going up a size on most crankbaits. Like Kory said, as long as the hooks don't tangle, you are good to go, the short shank hooks are ideal for this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.