Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-03-10, 02:35 AM   #1
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham
Exclamation 1999 yamaha 175pro v cutting out

My motor is having some issues with life. It cranks and idles normal but when I give it gas it acts like it doesn't want to plane out, it bogs down even at full throttle and won't plane. It's been goin on a while and I've tried to clean fuel and lines and the bulb seems fine. It isn't fuel injected. Also, after it does plane out when I get to full speed it cuts out some but never goes dead. I read the other similar thread but my problems are a little different.please help as much as possible.
Old 08-03-10, 09:44 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hmmmmm, did you change the plugs, check the carb? plug wires? what kind of gas are you using? is it PURE gas or 10 percent corn? all this can make oyur motor bog. other than that, i am sorry i can't help you. hope you get it figured out buddy.
Old 08-04-10, 01:14 AM   #3
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i would give the plugs a check and see what they look like. They would be able to tell you whether or not you might not be getting enough fuel or if its getting to much. you can also check the plug gap and make sure it hasn't gotten way out of hand just from age! might be causing a spark blowout (which would prolly be rare but hey u never know) also not sure if you have a fuel pump or not. but if it does it could provide enough fuel for the boat to run but not enough fuel for it to make a wide open run out. And if you have someone you can swap line's and bulbs out with for a quick test then u could rule that out without being out any money. hope you get it figured out.
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 01:57 AM   #4
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Weeelll I'm usin corner gas, but new plugs and I've checked the wires. No fuel pump that I know of though
Old 08-04-10, 04:32 AM   #5
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

hmmm.. interesting just out of curiousity when did it start. did u make any changes?? any changes in where u buy gas or after the plugs. have u tried any fuel additives? just picking ur brain a little

edit: haha i just seen where u said it wasnt fuel injected. reading owns me. anyways im with bamabass man on checking the carbs if all the other checks out.

Last edited by triglet; 08-04-10 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 08:59 AM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post
My motor is having some issues with life. It cranks and idles normal but when I give it gas it acts like it doesn't want to plane out, it bogs down even at full throttle and won't plane. It's been goin on a while and I've tried to clean fuel and lines and the bulb seems fine. It isn't fuel injected. Also, after it does plane out when I get to full speed it cuts out some but never goes dead. I read the other similar thread but my problems are a little different.please help as much as possible.
Have you changed the fuel line? Sometimes, an older line will collapse when the motor starts sucking gas, instead of staying open like a new one would. Try having someone else drive the boat while you look at the fuel line, if possible (BE CAREFUL if you do this...). If it flattens out when he hits the gas, you know it's not stiff enough anymore, and needs to be replaced.
Old 08-04-10, 09:19 AM   #7
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I hate to ask but have you done a compression check?

Have you noticed a decline in rpm's at wide open throttle from normal?
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 04:12 PM   #8
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lack of compression,considerable carb issues,clean with staybil blue in the gas tank,or your mfg equivilent,lack of gas getting there either pump or hoses or squeeze bulb,whole bunch of can be issues,if not easily found take it to a boat mech.
Have him do a compression check first,if its over 15 lb difference then have it rebuilt.$$$
Hopefully just something you missed and easily fixed thus saving time and $.
On older omc the auto oiler (VRO)which is also a gas pump goes out first,and rather slowly getting to the point eventually where it wont run on plane,meanwhile starving it of gas.
Havnt a clue if the yammer would act the same.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-04-10 at 04:19 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 08:21 PM   #9
skeeter1804

If it idles smooth I would guess a fuel delivery problem. If you have a prime bulb have someone keep priming it while trying to get on plane. Sounds like a weak fuel pump or possible carburetor gummed up.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 07:40 PM   #10
kerryvbc1
BassFishin.Com Member

I had the same problem. You said you tried to clean the fuel lines. You need to REPLACE them. $24.00 at Walmart don't try it ,do it. From the tank to the fuel pump.
kerryvbc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:32 PM   #11
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

ever get it figured out??

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.