Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-11, 08:22 AM   #1
AutzenSection37
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My dilemma...opinions appreciated.

Hey guys,

My name is Aaron. I'm brand new here and would really appreciate as many points of view as I can get.

I've never had a boat. I have fished from a pontoon for years and loved it but two years had a leg injury that won't allow me to get the pontoon to the water very easily. Atleast not the water I want to be fishing.

I gave up fishing for a couple of years but am getting around a lot better and decided it's time to get a boat.

I've heard a lot of bad things about buying a used boat. I hear they are often unreliable and turn into huge money pits. I have a limited budget and naturaly I'd like to get the best boat for my money.

So basically here's my question...Would you buy a lesser brand boat with probably less options but brand new? Or, would you go for a used boat but a top of the line brand? (If you want to tell me what brand I should get that's ok and I will definately read it, but I noticed a lot of older threads on the subject already and will be diving into those much more thoroughly soon).

My wife gave me an allowence of $25,000 and that's probably going to have to include what ever else I might need..ie. fish finder, life jackets, inital repairs, registration ect.

I plan to do as much research as I can and chose/buy a boat this winter.

Thank you for any advice you can share.

Aaron
AutzenSection37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 09:41 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Buying a used boat is a lot like buying a used car...you have to know what to look for as far as spotting problems or potential problems so you don't get stuck with a money pit.
There are two old sayings for boats that are cliche, but very true..."boat" stands for "Break Out Another Thousand," and "A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into."
First off, what kind of boat are you looking for? Do you want fiberglass or aluminum, how big do you need it to be, what is your planned usage (strictly fishing, or fishin' and playin'?), what kind of lakes or rivers or other bodies of water do you plan on going to most?
$25,000 can get you a heck of a boat, especially if you're willing to look at boats that are a few years old, but well taken care of. 5-6 year old 21' bass rigs, such as Ranger or Triton or many other brands, with a 250hp motor on the back can be found for that money, easily. But if you don't need one that big and fast, you could get a brand new 17' aluminum Bass Tracker for that.
Another thing to think about is your experience with boats. You say you had a pontoon boat, but do you have any experience with faster boats? A big bass rig will do 70mph, and even the Tracker mentioned above will probably do 40 or 50, depending on the size of the engine. If you haven't had much experience with driving faster boats, I'd definitely recommend working your way up to it. If you know anybody that has a faster boat, you might ask to drive it some to get used to it before you go out and buy one, then figure out that it's not for you.
If you can narrow down your needs/wants for us a little bit, we can certainly point you in the right direction a little better.
Old 06-10-11, 09:44 AM   #3
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First, kiss the wife. (more if you're so inclined)

Good Luck.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 10:08 AM   #4
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome aboard, Aaron. One thing to think about is the kind of water that you plan to fish. I grew up in Fla where the the lakes have mostly sand bottomsand most of the serious bass boats are fiberglass. On a trip to Minnesota to visit inlays I noticed that most of the boats are aluminum, asked after this and was told that aluminum boats stand up better to bouncing off the occasional rock. More rocks there than on Elizabeth Taylors fingers. Made sense to me. Another thing is, what are you using for a tow vehicle? Glass boats are much heavier. Bigger O/B, bigger truck, more gas, etc. Listen to the folks here. You might get razzed a bit but you'll fer sure get some good info. Shop around, do your homework. For $25,000 you can get Cleopatra's Barge with a trolling motor.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 10:42 AM   #5
walkeraviator

Above posts pretty much cover what I was going to say. $25k can get you a killer used 21 footer that has been well taken care of. If you dont need all that boat, you can get a 19' aluminum rig or a cheaper 18' glass rig for $25k or less. Keep in mind that as soon as your have your boat, required safety items, and electronics the way you want... the bait monkey will attack, and you gotta be able to afford the gas in the boat and tow vehicle. So take that into consideration.

In my situation, I have a vehicle that cant tow much more than 2000lbs, and I dont need to do 70mph. I would like to save money on gas. So if my wife gave me a $25k dollar limit... I would buy a Stratos 186xt. Most outboards on this light vehicle will move it say 40mph or so and use relaitively small amounts of fuel as compared to a 250 pushing a 210 Elite.

My last opinion is this... DONT buy a new boat. Even if you decided you want a new boat, buy one that is a year or two old that still has some warranty left on the outboard. These boats are like cars... They depreciate immediately. So buy it after the initial price drop and save a few bucks. Right now, on boattrader there is a 2008 Stratos 186xt w/ Mercury 115hp outboard for like $16000. Thats $4k-$6k less than a brand new boat, and is probably just as reliable. Just a suggestion.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 07:31 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

for 25 grand i'll sell ya my cajun, hahahaha. of course oyu can get a much NEWER rig and everything would work on it for the same price. but this rig i got is a LEGEND. because i owned it before you. lol. yes i am joking with you pal.

welcome to the site, the BEST site on the web. kick off your shoes, loosen the ol belt and get ready for some fun and laughs.

now..back to your question. ssippiboy said all. be more specific on EXCATLY what type of rig you are wanting to get. this will help you in your research on what to purchase.
if it were me and i was getting 25 grand to spend on whatever type of boat i wanted. i would (seriously to now) get 2 rigs. one pontoon boat, and 1 bassboat. reasons are obivous. pontoon to entertain, bass rig to fish out of. with 25 grand and the way the economy is today. you can buy both and have fantastic rigs in each of them.
there are people out there who are hard pressed today and trying to get rid of monthly payments. boats are cheap right now. used and rarely used rigs are out there. may have to drive a ways form your house to get em, but they are there.

good luck with your search and post up pic when oyu pick out what you get. we love pics of boats round here.
Old 06-10-11, 09:39 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Well let me start off by saying that I skipped reading everyone elses replies so if I repeat anything they said please forgive me.

Probably the first thing to consider is what kind of water do you fish? If the water is prone to getting rough then I would recommend getting the biggest boat you can. Boat size is one of the biggest factors that effect how a boat will ride and handle rough water. Also boat brand plays a big part in this as well, some brands just ride much better than others. If you don't fish rough water that often then you can probably get away with a smaller boat and smaller motor which will probably allow you to get a newer boat for the same money. There are tons of factors that go into buying the boat that fits you perfect. The storage layout is a big factor. You need to be able to store stuff in a way that you know exactly where everything is and nothing is spilling over into something elses spot. I am a neat freak about my boat and keep everything in it's designated spot and I label everything that I can label haha. On a side note I love little day boxes, cubby holes, or other little hideyholes to store small stuff like scissors, clippers, scents, ect. because these items are some of the hardest to find a place for in a boat.

If you need a bigger boat to handle rough water you should be able to get a fairly new boat that is in good condition for the money you are willing to spend. And if your style of fishing doesn't require a bigger boat then you are in the price range of some brand new smaller rigs. Just take your time and shop around because it's a big decision and you don't want to rush into a boat that you may be unhappy with in a few years.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 01:22 AM   #8
AutzenSection37
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I will give a little bit more info on what I'm looking for.

@ Dave - You're funny. She does spoil me though. Sometimes I don't think I deserve it. She gets me season tickets to the Ducks (my 1st love) each year. A truck last year and now this. Also, the occasional, why don't you go to Reno and Vegas any more. You used to love it and don't do anything fun...you just work. I know my buddy's wives don't say that to them too often.

@ MississippiBoy - when I was talking about the pontoon, it's not even a real boat. It is one of those inflatable set ups that has a chair for one person and you row yourself around. I'm not a risk taker so I don't think that because I had a lot of hp I would use it before I felt comfortable.

As far as towing, I have a year old Toyota Tundra that is a V8. I've never towed anything with it so don't know for sure how it will do but I've seen others with Tundra's towing stuff. If necessary, I could probably get a different truck if I needed a diesel? I don't want the boat I'm able to get be limited by the truck I drive.

The boat I get will be 100% used for bass fishing. I don't have any intentions or desire to do much else if I'm at a lake. I for sure don't want to get two boats. I want as much boat as I can get for my money and the best set up possible for bass.

The local lakes I will be fishing are not too rough but sometimes get a little bit windy. If I go down to Shasta or Trinity I think those may get a little bit rougher. We don't have sand shores. Ours are more rocky for the most part.

Thank you guys very much for the help so far. I'm open to as much as you can offer. Is there a way to tell if a boat is a lemon? Are there services that I could pay to give a good boat inspection before I make a purchase? If so, do they normally take it out on the water or just look it over?

@ walkeraviator the bait monkey pretty much already bent me over and took my butt. I don't think he can get me any worse than he already does. I was cleaning out a closet over the winter and honestly found probably $600 of baits in the packages that I don't ever remember buying. I was opening each bag and would find 4-6 crank baits in each one for like 30 bags. Also, plastics and frogs and rats and a huddleston. I was looking at the stuff and thinking they looked like they would work good but I don't have room for any of it in the tackle boxes. I 'm going to get my sons set up with their own gear when we get the boat. I'll pass the sickness on to them I think.

Thanks again everyone.

Aaron
Old 06-11-11, 07:46 AM   #9
bamabassman

your truck can and will tow whatever rig oyu decide to buy buddy. BUT, like i said before...for 25 grand, why not get 2 rigs. one for the family (a real pontoonor deck boat), and a bass rig. you didn't mention how many or how old oyur sons are. so i am gonna go ahead and say for you to get the biggest bass rig out there since i am thining oyu have at least 2 sons. it is hard to fish out of a 15'-18' rig with 3 people. 20'-22' is much nicer. i have a 20'-6" rig myself and 3 can get crowded sometimes with all the gear and so forth. bottom line is get the biggest you can afford with your money.
the reason i said a pontoon boat is so that oyu can take out the entire family (wife included). pontoons and deck boats are a lot of fun for the whole family, and oyu can pul em on these rigs too.

as for the bass boat, yes oyu can buy a lemon, happens everyday. boats are lie any motorized vehicle. some are great, some not. if oyu are gona buy a used boat from an individual, ask if they have a problem with oyu taking the boat to a boat shop for inspection and also to take it on a trial run afterwards. when oyu get it out on the water, drive it like oyu stole it. FOR REAL. if the person selling it won't let you go for a ride, walk off. it ain't no good. some shops can do this for oyu for a price i am sure. do as much research as oyu can on your own. this will teach oyu what is involved in boats. how a boat operates and so forth.

welocme to the world of boating, get ready to pay more than your wife allowed too,lol. bass fishing is a wonderful sport you and your sons will enjoy forever. you never get too old to fish. never are out of shape enough to wet a line. and oyu can really spend QUALITY time with oyur family.

hope i helped oyu a little with this pal.
Old 06-11-11, 10:21 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

This is fun....we love spending other people's money for them.

First off, that Tundra will be just fine. If it has the towing package, with a transmission cooler and all that, even better, but even without that, it'll handle any bass boat you can think of, from 14' up to and including a 22'...don't worry about getting anything else.

Since you're not familiar with boats and their engines, etc, do you have a trustworthy friend that is? If so, take them with you when you go look at a particular boat. There's a whole list of stuff to check out when you're buying a boat, so if someone has done it before, it makes it a lot quicker and easier, plus he'd be less likely to miss something.

Checking out a boat is a lot like checking out a car...kick the tires, make sure all the knobs and switches work, take it for a test drive, etc. There's just a lot of different things on a boat to look at.

Quote:
Is there a way to tell if a boat is a lemon? Are there services that I could pay to give a good boat inspection before I make a purchase? If so, do they normally take it out on the water or just look it over?
You can have it looked at by a boat mechanic (you pay for this), and they will run a compression test and probably take it out to run on the water. Check around for a good recommended repair shop or dealer first.

I'd forgotten till just now, but here's a decent list of what to look at when buying a boat: http://www.bassboatcentral.com/buyingusedboat.htm
As you can see, there's a lot to look for. Take a look at the list, but I'd still get somebody more familiar with boats to go with you, if possible. Most boat dealers will be up front with you about the boat they're trying to sell you, but some won't, and if you buy from an individual, there's no telling what they're like and what they'll try to hide from you to make the sale.

As far as the boat itself, there are a ton of people I've talked to that say they wish they'd bought a bigger boat than they did, but only a few say they wish they'd gone smaller. There are some, for sure....maybe they bought a 20', but spend a lot of time in smaller lakes and want the better manueverability of a 18' or 17' when they're fishing in tight quarters. But by and large, more short boat owners want bigger boats than bigger boat owners want a shorter boat.

So for you, I'm thinking about a 20-21' fiberglass boat from one of the major manufacturers like Ranger, Triton, BassCat, Skeeter, etc., maybe 3-5 years old, with a 200 or 225 hp engine. Yamaha and Mercury are the most common motors, either one will last for years and years if cared for properly. It's definitely a Ford/Chevy thing about which one is "better," but either one is great.

Just remember, this boat will be a 65-70mph boat, so be careful and take your time. On the test drive, let the owner drive it first, but you will definitely need to drive it before you buy. While he's in the boat with you, open it up and make sure it performs well, but if you take it home, work up to it. There's a WORLD of difference in driving a boat vs. a car or truck, and the only way to learn is to do it.
Old 06-11-11, 06:05 PM   #11
lilmule

With kids ,wife possibly,bass fishing on fairly calm waters id think twice about a fish and ski,with possibly even a cover,,and for 25 k can get one new.
20-21 fiberglass with a 225 runs 42-55k new,also the bigger you get it takes a tad more to launch etc should the big motor quit it aint easy getting it on the trailer.
And as a sort of first boat something like a 17 fter is easier to learn with does not weigh as much and costs half as much.
I ran a 21 ft wide beam stepped down some due to leg knee injury to a 20 ft half the weight boat an allison,can move it around by myself without a truck or tow vehcle.
Any of the name brand f and s 17 ft long would be easy to tow and move,can always trade up later,after the wife and kids take to it .
Just my 2 cents,where I live id say 20 ft but there you can do with smaller.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 10:56 AM   #12
walkeraviator

echoing lilmules post, I am gonna ask how old the kids are and if the wife would ever wanna hit the water to not only fish, but possible play some...If so, than a Fish/Ski boat may be an option. This is what my father and I fish out of all the time. The only drawbacks are:

1.The windshields can get in teh way and act like giant sails on a windy day.
2.Hard to find a place to lay down a longer rod flat without it hangin out over the edge somewhere, as the front deck is usually smaller than a bass rig.

But with that said, there are some nice F/S boats one could have that will fit your bill if you are willing to drive for em. One that comes to mind is the Skeeter SL210.

http://www.boattrader.com/search-res...t-Length:DESC/
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 08:24 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

That Tundra will tow any bass boat just fine, like the others said. In fact it's one of the most popular tow vehicles there is.

I would look really hard at some 19-21 foot boats that are fairly new. There are several of them out there for good prices. Like Mississippi boy said, get the biggest boat you can afford because you will be amazed at how fast you can out grow a boat. I had a 19' Ranger that I out grew in less than 3 years, partly because I needed more room and partly because I wanted a faster boat with a better ride. I fish some big tournaments that have 300+ boats so a rough riding boat can be brutal during take offs not to mention all the play boat traffic we deal with, and with that many boats on the water being able to out run other boats is huge especially if you are making a run to a community hole that everyone knows about. I went to a Triton 21X and absolutley love the ride and speed. I realize that tournament fishing isn't an issue for you right now but even at that, nobody likes taking a beating in rough water and a bigger boat is the biggest ingredient in the recipe for a smooth ride but keep in mind that not all boats ride the same even though they may be the same size. You will hear dealers for every brand out there brag about how their boat rides the best in the industry (boat owners are also bad about this, their brand is always the best at everything). To me here are the things I consider to be the most important in a boat.

1. Fishability (how comfortable it is to fish out of it. After all you spend more time fishing than anything else).
2. Ride (how smooth the ride is matters a lot but also how dry is the ride? We may not mind a few sprays now and then in July but in February or March it's a different story)
3. Layout (how easy is it for you to get all your stuff stored in places where it's easy to put your hands on when you need it but not in the way when you don't?)

The motor is what makes boats so expensive. Honestly a 225 horsepower motor on a $40K boat can cost $25K to replace, they are just crazy expensive. So that is one of the biggest places to check out when looking at a boat. If you are buying from a dealer make sure they have a print out showing you the compression check results as well as engine hours, there really isn't a rule of thumb for how many hours is a lot like there are for miles on vehicles but it will give you an idea of how often the boat was used, and remember it's actually harder on them to sit unused than to be used often (I never understood how things break while not being used but it does happen). If your dealer trys to impress you by telling you that most of the hours on the motor are at idle don't fall for it. According to my dealer that is like selling someone a car and telling them all the hours are from a little old lady driving it to church on Sunday, he says that almost all motors have way more idle time than running time so it's not a legit selling point. Being your first time buying such a machine I would recommend going through a dealer, they will be more likely to work with you and answer questions for you (assuming you do some research and find a good dealership that has a good reputation). They also are likely to give the boat a good checking out before selling it because their name is on the line (this isn't always the case because the dealership I bought my Triton from screwed me around for about a year trying to get some stuff taken care of, I eventually spent $2,000 out of my own pocket to buy a trolling motor because they kept jacking me around and we were already into summer). The place I bought my Ranger from did an excellent job at checking the boat out, in fact while we were on our 3 hour drive to get the boat they were checking it out and discovered something wasn't right with the trolling motor. They knew we had a long drive ahead of us and didn't want to make us wait while they fixed it so instead they put a new trolling motor on it. Another reason for using a dealer is that if you decide you want to upgrade electronics or something they may be willing to work out a dealer cost deal with you on accessories. If you do end up buying from an individual then be sure and have the motor checked out like Mississippi boy said because you don't want to buy someone elses headache. I would work out a deal with the owner that if the motor checks out you will pay the mechanics bill and if not then he pays it, usually they will come clean about any problems they know about this way. Good luck and I can't wait to see pics of the new ride.

Also it may be a cart before the horse thing since you don't have the boat yet but take your time learning to drive it. It's not as easy as putting it in gear and dropping the hammer, there is a lot of learning involved. You need to learn how much trim your boat needs to run the best, how much you need to drop the trim when hitting waves of different sizes and at different angles, what angles are best to hit waves at, and a lot of boats will start chime walking on you which is a crazy feeling and it can get very dangerous if you don't know how to counter act it which takes seat time.
Old 06-13-11, 03:16 AM   #14
AutzenSection37
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

My boys are 4 and 9. My mind is 100% made up that I want only a bass boat. No half fishing boat/ half ski boat for me.

I'll definitely take pictures when it happens. For now I'm just going to take my time researching as thoroughly as possible. Tomorrow requesting catalogs so I can start studying the layouts.

Is there a consumer reports type of literature that tests each brands against each other for smootheness of ride
Old 06-13-11, 08:27 AM   #15
lilmule

There are consumer reports most of which anymore are a pay per review thing,paid for by the mfg none compare how a boat rides.
Bass and walleye boats can still be viewed online,other than that ask those who own them for another biased view.
Either buy from a known source like a dealer or buy new and smaller like a 17-18 ft and have a warranty.
Performance boats(allison,bullet) are beyond the capabilities of most just starting,and require actually driving them,even cookie cutters with 200-225 hp one has to learn to drive.With many boats the ride is what the driver makes it not whats in the boat itself.
Called seat time.Learning curve and less boat is easier to learn with.
If you ask or make a post what was every ones first boat most would say a 15-17 ft with about 90 hp.-115hp
Whatever you get at least get insurance covering the other guy minimal,launching in public areas with others in close proximity can be like I 64 at rush hr.Only your at idle,like on the road one has to keep eyes out for others as many do not look or handle their rigs well.
With no stop signs,no divided lanes and all going every which a way.Nor do they stop as quick as a car.
Check into taking a boater safety course.In some states it is a requirement if not having owned one prior.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-13-11 at 08:45 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 02:39 PM   #16
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
My last opinion is this... DONT buy a new boat. Even if you decided you want a new boat, buy one that is a year or two old that still has some warranty left on the outboard. These boats are like cars... They depreciate immediately. So buy it after the initial price drop and save a few bucks. Right now, on boattrader there is a 2008 Stratos 186xt w/ Mercury 115hp outboard for like $16000. Thats $4k-$6k less than a brand new boat, and is probably just as reliable. Just a suggestion.
I'm not sure I completely agree, the really nice thing about having a new rig is a WARRANTY!! Right now Blazer is pushing their line and you could get into something really nice for low 30's with electronics...I will be fishing in a new 625 Pro Elite this weekend and will give some reviews when I get back. Phoenix has some really nice boats as well and a loaded 18 footer will run 33k..shop around and try out different sizes to see what fits you
Old 06-13-11, 10:35 PM   #17
bamabassman

but jason....what walker is saying is that this boat probably still HAS some warrenty left on it. ann i am sure you can get an EXTENDED warrenty.
Old 06-13-11, 10:48 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I'm not sure I completely agree, the really nice thing about having a new rig is a WARRANTY!! Right now Blazer is pushing their line and you could get into something really nice for low 30's with electronics...I will be fishing in a new 625 Pro Elite this weekend and will give some reviews when I get back. Phoenix has some really nice boats as well and a loaded 18 footer will run 33k..shop around and try out different sizes to see what fits you
A good deal for you would be to find a dealer that is selling a pro staff members boat. Generally these boats will come with a full warranty that hasn't gone in effect until someone buys the boat. Also you would be the first registered owner of the boat as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.