Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-11, 11:09 AM   #1
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tachometer Malfunction

The rpm gauge on my1995 Hydra-Sport LS 185 is messing with me. It will work half the time. One minute it will be working then it drops to zero, and sometimes it will bounce up and down. Any suggestions? thanks
amace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 04:31 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amace85 View Post
The rpm gauge on my1995 Hydra-Sport LS 185 is messing with me. It will work half the time. One minute it will be working then it drops to zero, and sometimes it will bounce up and down. Any suggestions? thanks
If it is intermittant, I would almost guarantee it is a wiring issue. Something it bouncing loose. I would trace the wires and if you have any slplices, check the connections there and to the motor.
Old 06-20-11, 07:38 PM   #3
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would sooner say that the rectifier/regulator is over heating. That is usually the case when a tach quits working.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 07:54 PM   #4
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ok i just read a post further down that said you have a johnson on this boat. Im almost sure its the rectifier/regulator I have a Johnson that had the same problem 3 times. The motor block had to be drilled and tapped to relieve air that was being trapped in the top of the block thus, not allowing water to circulate around the regulator. (the regulator is in a black plastic box on the top of the motor in the back half way under the fly wheel. you can take two bolts loose on the box to look at the regulator. when you take the lid off the box make sure to pay attention to how the wires are laying so you can lay them back down and get the lid back on. when mine over heated i could see the regulator had black burn spots in the clear epoxy that is sealing the electrical components inside.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 09:27 AM   #5
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you guys for the information and help. I will check these things out. Hopefully it would just be a loose connection rather than something more serious sounding like the regulator. And by the sound of that are you meaning that the engine is overheating and causing this? Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-11, 01:01 PM   #6
lilmule

More like the regulator has seen its day overheating than the engine,they arnt cheap,hopefully its a loose connection.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 07:15 AM   #7
amace85
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats no joke. Just looked them up and they run around $200. Prayin its a loose connection.
Old 06-22-11, 02:52 PM   #8
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

when mine started doing that, the voltage regulator was going bad. started showing voltage spikes up to 19 volts
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 03:04 PM   #9
lilmule

Well they can be had for less but taking a chance,they must be same amp rating like a 35 amp must be replaced with a 35 amp same with any other like a 20 amp,can be had off ebay used for 1/4 at times.Sometimes new old stock but not exactly under warranty.
If im recalling correctly there are two gray leads,one sometimes fails and the other is still good.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 06:40 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

On the back of the tach, there might be a little knob. Make a note of where this knob is positioned, and turn it back and forth all the way several times, maybe 10 times. Return it to its original position. Sometimes the connection gets messed up, and running it back and forth might fix it.
Old 06-22-11, 10:46 PM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ssippiboy.........does ssippiGAL know oyu're here? and where is my pic of the DUCK?!?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.