Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-11, 12:44 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Question for the jig guys.

I'm currious to see if there is a preferance when it comes to the line tie eye of the hook on a jig. Do you prefer a verticle hook eye or a horizontal hook eye. Most jigs seems to come with the horizontal hook eye. Myself, I always figured the horizontal hook eye would catch more on vegitation than a verticle hook eye. Kind of like the way a football head will catch more vegitation than a typical swim jig head design. What are you thoughts on this?
Old 11-23-11, 12:56 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Agreed on vertical tie being more weedless, also head design plays in, I like a pointed head with a flat bottom.
Old 11-23-11, 01:11 AM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Many years ago, I read an article from denny Brauer that made sense to me. He claimed that a horizontal line tie was better for hook sets. I have used both types of jigs through the years, I can't say for sure that either one of them is more or less weedless. I can see why a vertical eye might slip through weeds easier, basically parting them, but thats asuming that all the vegetation is standing up straight. So as far as that goes, if the vegetation is thick or matted, then neither one would have an advantage. I fish in lakes that have more moss than they have grassy weeds, or there is moss with weeds. Moss catch's on the eye no mater which way it faces. One other thing about the eyes that i have personally seen, and maybe the biggest reason i try to stick with horizontal line ties, is the area the knot stays in. When I use vertical line tie jigs, I am constantly adjusting the knot on the eye. It seems that on every cast the knot slips around and the jig doesn't hang right. Whats even worse is that many times the knot will slip all the way to where the eye pinchs shut against the hook shank. If that happens, then the knot is resting against a sharp edge and it will break if you catch a fish while the knot is there. I have had fish break off before and seen that the knot broke on the back side. It's imposible to know if the knot got knicked on that side, or if it sliped into that pinch area, but i think they slip into that area. Cross, or horizontal line ties seem to work better all the way around for me in that the knot seems to stay where it belongs, the jigs seem to swim better and i believe that you get a better hook set with them. If that means that they catch a bit more weeds, then so be it.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 06:08 AM   #4
Tavery5

I have always been of the mind that horizontal line ties were designed more for jigs that you wanted to drag, such as football heads, and that vertical ties were designed more for baits that you wanted to swim or hop. As Kevin mentioned, I have seen times when the line will slip on the the vertical line tie and not allow the jig to hang as I would like. I recently spoke with a respected jig designer about his thoughts on line tie placement, he told me that horizontal was "KING", his words, he also spoke about leverage on hook set,and that it was more common belief than fact, that vertical ties were more weedless than horizontal.

I am not sure I agree with his thoughts on what is more weedless, but his explanation of why the horizontal tie offers better leverage during hookset was enough to make me re-think what I will look for in a jig in the future.
Old 11-23-11, 09:30 AM   #5
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I have always been of the mind that horizontal line ties were designed more for jigs that you wanted to drag, such as football heads, and that vertical ties were designed more for baits that you wanted to swim or hop. As Kevin mentioned, I have seen times when the line will slip on the the vertical line tie and not allow the jig to hang as I would like. I recently spoke with a respected jig designer about his thoughts on line tie placement, he told me that horizontal was "KING", his words, he also spoke about leverage on hook set,and that it was more common belief than fact, that vertical ties were more weedless than horizontal.

I am not sure I agree with his thoughts on what is more weedless, but his explanation of why the horizontal tie offers better leverage during hookset was enough to make me re-think what I will look for in a jig in the future.
I had never thought about it in terms of hookset leverage until we heard that. It did seem to make sense though.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 10:41 AM   #6
rrw4258

Almost every jig I throw, has a 60* Mustad Ultra Point hoook with a flat eye. I have never really thought about the line tie postion, but I rarely miss a fish on a jig. The majority of what I throw for jigs, are football jigs in 3/8 - 3/4 oz here on Lake Erie. I have never really thrown a flipping or arky style of jig because we really don't have that much of a place to throw them in Lake Erie, as most of our structure are rocks.

The only jigs I have with a straight eye are my KVD swim jigs, and they do seem to come through the grass better, but that is probably more so because of the head shape that is designed to come through weeds better.

Rya
Old 11-23-11, 11:59 AM   #7
CamG

All my jigs have a flat (horizontal) line tie. You can do a simple test. Tie a vertical line tie jig on fishing line, hang it straight down and put your finger on the hook and pull straight up. Repeat the process with the flat eye jig. See which one has more hook setting leverage. The vertical eye will penetrate, but has the tendency to rotate back before going up, where the one with the flat eye comes straight up.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 12:14 PM   #8
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me a vertical eye jig is not any good for anything except lost fish. I use only a 60% hook and if I want it to hang level for straight down doodle, swimming or hopping with 3/4 0z., I have my own technique for rigging it. I may go through a lot of small rubber band in a day but it sure works for me.

Sound kind of crazy, but if anyone is interested I will go into more detail. As Izaak Walton said: " Angling may be said to be like mathematics in that can never be fully learnt".
lunkerscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 01:59 PM   #9
joedog

I'm interested. Start a thread and explain adding photos would be even better.
Old Izaack would have loved me.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 03:03 PM   #10
lunkerscore
BassFishin.Com Member

joedog, it's like this!, You buy a pack of small rubber bands from the ofc. supply about the size of a wooden pencil. You tuck the line back to the front of the weed guard and sucure it with the band around the front of the jig head. This will level the jig and it will ride level in the water. When you set the hook the rubber band will pop off the front of the jig and the line will go back to the normal eye 60 degree and that type of hookup will follow.

I believe in this old proverb: " A man though wise, should never be ashamed of learning more."
lunkerscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 07:45 PM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
All my jigs have a flat (horizontal) line tie. You can do a simple test. Tie a vertical line tie jig on fishing line, hang it straight down and put your finger on the hook and pull straight up. Repeat the process with the flat eye jig. See which one has more hook setting leverage. The vertical eye will penetrate, but has the tendency to rotate back before going up, where the one with the flat eye comes straight up.
Well said.I like a straight eye recessed into the head to shed weeds better.A 60 degree eye no doubt works or they wouldn't keep selling them but I personally do not like them.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 10:23 PM   #12
bluebasser86

I make jigs with both eyes. I agree that the horizontal eyes give you more leverage which is more important when making long casts, like with a football jig. For shorter flipping and pitching I use the vertical eye because I think it goes through cover better. Haven't had any problems with hookups yet and won't be changing until I do.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-11, 11:50 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm currious to see if there is a preferance when it comes to the line tie eye of the hook on a jig. Do you prefer a verticle hook eye or a horizontal hook eye. Most jigs seems to come with the horizontal hook eye. Myself, I always figured the horizontal hook eye would catch more on vegitation than a verticle hook eye. Kind of like the way a football head will catch more vegitation than a typical swim jig head design. What are you thoughts on this?
I thought the same thing as you Keith. When I looked for a jig I used to always look verticle jig eye, because I thought it would come through the weeds better like you.

Recently though, I've heard that the horizontal jig gets better hook ups. I'm planing on trying both this next year, and see how they compare to each other as far as hook ups, and weedlessness.

One of the best jigs I've used is the All Terrain rattling A.T. jig. Came through the weeds very well, and and seemed to hook well. I'd sometimes set the hook to soon when I would see the fish eat my jig, and a few would pull off, but that's my fault not the jigs.
Old 11-24-11, 12:29 AM   #14
keithdog

Hey Guys, love the input here. It's certainly changed the way I'm looking at jigs. Definately have some things to concider in my next jig purchase.
Old 12-03-11, 12:05 AM   #15
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Agreed on vertical tie being more weedless, also head design plays in, I like a pointed head with a flat bottom.
vertical eye is not anymore weedless than a horizontal eye.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 12:07 AM   #16
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I thought the same thing as you Keith. When I looked for a jig I used to always look verticle jig eye, because I thought it would come through the weeds better like you.

Recently though, I've heard that the horizontal jig gets better hook ups. I'm planing on trying both this next year, and see how they compare to each other as far as hook ups, and weedlessness.

One of the best jigs I've used is the All Terrain rattling A.T. jig. Came through the weeds very well, and and seemed to hook well. I'd sometimes set the hook to soon when I would see the fish eat my jig, and a few would pull off, but that's my fault not the jigs.
how do you figure that it is your fault. it the fish had the jig in his mouth and the hook did not hook, guess what?? you had a mechanical failure. you jig just came out of the bass's mouth with the hook flat and did not hook.
Old 12-03-11, 12:11 AM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
Yes Hell it is...by God!!!
Old 12-03-11, 12:31 AM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:

I'm interested in your opinions, but maybe you could take a minute to explain your position.
Old 12-03-11, 02:07 AM   #19
merc1997

Quote:
I'm interested in your opinions, but maybe you could take a minute to explain your position.
coming through vegetation the eyelet plays very little role unless the leg or neck of the hook is sticking out from the head of the jig. of course, something as blunt fronted as a football head is going to gather weeds worse. any head that has some form of a point, wedge, arrowhead, ect. will part the vegetation. of course, bullet shaped head do come through the vegetation just dandy, but the down side is they are the worst in hooking percentage. all narrow heads, especially those that are more narrow than they are tall will consistently never turn the hook up vertical. that causes poor penetration angles when they do hook, and will result in the hook being torn out more easily. some vegetation that will tear off easily will hang on your line, and of course that is not the lures fault. even you knot can gather loose vegetation.
Old 12-03-11, 02:15 AM   #20
merc1997

Quote:
did not finish all of my thought process. the head is actually what parts the vegetation and not the eyelet. the eyelet of hook just needs to be against the head and not be sitting away from head where the leg of hook is exposed as this is where weeds will tend to wrap and gather. i think that if you will read a post on b*******s by toad(mountain boys view of alpha jig), you will find that he was astounded that the alpha jig did come through vegetation better than the so called vegetation jigs. the alpha jig has a horizontal eye. hope that this makes some sense.
Old 12-03-11, 07:18 AM   #21
pig n jig

Quote:
coming through vegetation the eyelet plays very little role
If you have a 60 degree eye bend, the jig tends to lift and glide therefore the eye has a lot to do with the jig presentation.

Quote:
some vegetation that will tear off easily will hang on your line, and of course that is not the lures fault. even you knot can gather loose vegetation.
If you pull a jig out and it has loose vegetation on it,I pitch it back to the next spot without cleaning the jig off.I said in another post that I use heavier jig weights.It allows the jig to fall through the water colum faster than the loose vegetation can fall presenting a clean jig presentation without all the time to pick the jig clean every pitch.
Old 12-03-11, 07:32 AM   #22
pig n jig

Quote:
of course, bullet shaped head do come through the vegetation just dandy, but the down side is they are the worst in hooking percentage.
I totally disagree with this statement.Of course if your statement is true then I am damned good because I seldom ever miss a fish while using a staight recessed eye bullet head design .
Old 12-07-11, 02:42 AM   #23
Crankbait

i not a huge jig thrower but I like the I think it’s called the akey head……something like this
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirty...e-DJTLPTC.html
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.