Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-01-10, 09:33 PM   #1
Fishbonze
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crucial drop shot rod choice?

Hi noob here, been lurking for a little while, great site, lots of great topics being discussed!

I fish Smallmouths at the tip of the thumb in Lake Huron, 2-10 ft of water, wading, round smooth rocks and little vegetation / weeds. I have been enjoying ultra lite spinning with tube jigs 1/8 oz. - 3/16 for the last few years on 4lb test...rod seems overloaded a bit and not the greatest distance in casting, but love the way a 3-4lb feels on the lite setup! I am currently thinking that it would be nice to move up in length (6-7') and more power, I have purchased some senko's and shakey jig/worms to also try this season..I am currently looking at the Crucial drop shot rods from Shimano, I like the split cork handles on these, but am having a heck of a time deciding!

CRS-D68ML, Line Weight: 4-8 lbs. Fast Action. 1/16 -1/4
CRS-DX68M, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Extra Fast Action. 1/8 - 3/8
CRS-D72ML, Line Weight: 4-8 lbs. Fast Action 1/16 - 1/4
CRS-DX72M, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Extra Fast Action. 1/8 - 3/8

I read mostly where people say that the 6-7' M action fast tips are a good "all around" rod choice for smallies, but it seems like such a jump from the ultra lite that I'm used to, cant stand the thought of feeling like I have a broomstick in my hand...so do I go to the ML? or am I going to have the same issues of being under gunned? any thought you have would be much appreciated!
Bets, Steve
Fishbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 09:41 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I'd ask yourself how you will be rigging the dropshot. Will you be using an exposed hook or weedless? If you will be using an exposed hook the ML should do a great job, but if you are going to rig the bait weedless like on a T-rig the M action will probably work better since you will need a little more backbone for a hookset.

I fish all of my dropshot with an exposed hook and use a Falcon Lowrider dropshot rod which is a ML.
Old 05-01-10, 09:50 PM   #3
Fishbonze
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Redbasser...maybe I guess I should have made the topic header " good overall Smallmouth rod" I may give drop shot a try but will be trying multiple techniques with this new rod, still mostly 4" tube jigs though I think...
Best, Steve
Old 05-01-10, 09:59 PM   #4
Rebbasser

In that case a 6-6 or 7' M action will fit the bill nicely. It may feel like a broomstick at first after using an UL setup, but you will get used to it. the nice thing is you will be able to expand they type/size of baits you are using.

I personally have found a 6-6 M action makes about the best all around spinning outfit,
Old 05-01-10, 11:04 PM   #5
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would go with the CRS-D72ML.
Old 05-01-10, 11:27 PM   #6
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbonze View Post
Hi noob here, been lurking for a little while, great site, lots of great topics being discussed!

I fish Smallmouths at the tip of the thumb in Lake Huron, 2-10 ft of water, wading, round smooth rocks and little vegetation / weeds. I have been enjoying ultra lite spinning with tube jigs 1/8 oz. - 3/16 for the last few years on 4lb test...rod seems overloaded a bit and not the greatest distance in casting, but love the way a 3-4lb feels on the lite setup! I am currently thinking that it would be nice to move up in length (6-7') and more power, I have purchased some senko's and shakey jig/worms to also try this season..I am currently looking at the Crucial drop shot rods from Shimano, I like the split cork handles on these, but am having a heck of a time deciding!

CRS-D68ML, Line Weight: 4-8 lbs. Fast Action. 1/16 -1/4
CRS-DX68M, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Extra Fast Action. 1/8 - 3/8
CRS-D72ML, Line Weight: 4-8 lbs. Fast Action 1/16 - 1/4
CRS-DX72M, Line Weight: 6-12 lbs. Extra Fast Action. 1/8 - 3/8

I read mostly where people say that the 6-7' M action fast tips are a good "all around" rod choice for smallies, but it seems like such a jump from the ultra lite that I'm used to, cant stand the thought of feeling like I have a broomstick in my hand...so do I go to the ML? or am I going to have the same issues of being under gunned? any thought you have would be much appreciated!
Bets, Steve
CRS-D72ML. Since you're using 1/8oz weights too, that rod will not feel very stiff like a broomstick since it's rated down to 1/16oz. Nice choice of a rod, too.
Old 05-01-10, 11:31 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have the 7'2" M Crucial Dropshot rod and I love it.

If you're mostly fishing from shore and not out of a boat, the extra of the 7'2" will help you get more distance. If you're boat fishing, then distance can still help, but probably isn't quite as important, so go with whatever length you're more comfortable with.

Personally, I like a 7' or long dropshot rod. Most of the time I fish with 3/16 oz weights, and the Medium power is fine for that. But now, I kinda wish I had the ML over the M. With a ML you can detect subtle strikes easier by watching the tip of the rod.

So of you're choices, I'd go with the 7'2" ML rod with probably 6-7lb test.

BB
Old 05-02-10, 08:58 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you're mostly fishing from shore and not out of a boat, the extra of the 7'2" will help you get more distance. If you're boat fishing, then distance can still help, but probably isn't quite as important, so go with whatever length you're more comfortable with.
+1 on that!!

I'd go with the last one! 7'2" us good because you get good casts, and you can get good hook sets (not because of power, but because of length, yer moving more line than you would be if you were using a 6'6" or 6'8"). I say medium, but I don't fish smallies (I live in fl), so listen to the other guys as far as what action.
Old 05-02-10, 11:25 AM   #9
Fishbonze
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, that is the one I was leaning towards, ML 7'2"..I think it will pair up nicely with the Pflueger President I just got for Christmas..I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions, I'll order it today!
Best, Steve
Old 05-02-10, 12:09 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
I would go with the CRS-D72ML.

+1, I have two of these and love them! Great warranty also (lifetime) I have used the warranty three times over the last 4 years and remain very satisfied with the rods and the service!
Old 05-02-10, 02:54 PM   #11
Bender

That's a difficult choice. I've had a couple of the 6'8" ML and they were perfect light drop shot rods. The only problem I had was from 3/8 oz. and up they were a little too light. 90% of the time I am using 1/4 oz or less when drop shotting though. I also have the 7'2" M rod. I'm not as much of a fan of the length but it would be a great tube rod.

The 7'2" ML might be the best of both worlds but I really liked the shorter rod. In the 2'-10' water on Huron I don't think you will need a heavy weight for drop shotting unless you are out there on one of the windy days. Like my only time out there in your area, the only time I've been scared for my life on the water.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 04:03 PM   #12
Fishbonze
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Bender, I just ordered the 7'2" ML..I think it will work out great...I am so used to my ultralites that a medium just wont feel right to me...later on I think I'll get the 6'8" M. Here's a shot of my favorite spot on Lake Huron, last year I stopped counting at 140 smallmouth for my little family of 4 in less then 2 hours! doesn't get much more fun then that...and the water is so clean and no mud, that the smallies taste great as well
Best, Steve

Old 05-02-10, 11:08 PM   #13
Bender

Great photo! I sure wish it looked like that when I was crossing the bay to get from AuGres to Heisterman and North Islands. The few people I know that regularly fish out there say it is the most underrated smallmouth fishery that exists. It's a shame it gets so rough that it keeps people like me away.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 08:59 PM   #14
Fishbonze
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts..rod was waiting for me when I got home! amazing...seems huge to me, but I'm used to my little 5 footers, i'm sure I'll get used to the length. I must say this thing is like a feather..I swear its lighter then my 5' UL XML..I cant wait to get North at the end of next week! I'm excited to try my hand at some wacky style senkos and shakey head E2 needle worms..Best, Steve
Old 05-07-10, 09:27 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbonze View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts..rod was waiting for me when I got home! amazing...seems huge to me, but I'm used to my little 5 footers, i'm sure I'll get used to the length. I must say this thing is like a feather..I swear its lighter then my 5' UL XML..I cant wait to get North at the end of next week! I'm excited to try my hand at some wacky style senkos and shakey head E2 needle worms..Best, Steve
You'll get used to the length. I know you'll love the rod, but let us know when you give it a try.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.