Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-06, 08:49 PM   #1
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ugly Stick

only a beginner but i wanna a new rod, and i wanna stick with an ugly stick just bc it hasnt let me down yet and the price range is just what i wanna spend for how much i fish. But my question is if anyone would know if i should get the ugly stik or the ugly stik lite? Im kinda leaning towards the lite but i want your guy's opinion. Thanks.
fizzle fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 08:53 PM   #2
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

get the lite it comes in all action and is 10 time lighter then the original ant is even more sensitive amazing rod havent had a problem with one yet
Old 02-18-06, 08:55 PM   #3
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

well talk to crankybait, hes selling an ugly stik, you can probably get a good price for it cause its used.
Old 02-18-06, 08:56 PM   #4
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i was looking at one at dicks the other day... scared my a little bit by how lite and small it was tho compared to the ugly stik
Old 02-18-06, 08:58 PM   #5
bass kicker

they are real great rods for the price
Old 02-18-06, 09:59 PM   #6
crankybait

thats right im selling mine, its an ugly stik grahpite. used only 20 or so times. biggest catch was 3 pounds, but besides that the next biggest was 1/2 a pound. all the rest were too small to be counted. what price would you be looking around? id be oh way too happy to get rid of this. i got my B-day money. its not that i need the money that much, even though i need some cash. but my mom wont lemme have 2 rods at once. so im planning on selling this and getting an emerald if they restock or a sirrus before they sell out
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 10:09 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Do Not buy an ugly stick if you plan on any serious bass fishing.
get a lightening rod.ugly sticks are not designed for bass fishing..IMO
Old 02-18-06, 10:36 PM   #8
crankybait

thanks for ruining my sale man... well on the contrary, dudes form the other forum told me it was a great crankbaiting or spinnerbait rod, relatively cheap, and a decent rod.
Old 02-18-06, 10:49 PM   #9
bass kicker

imo they are a great rod and i will take ugly stick lite over a lightning rod any day i have both and the us lite is much better imo
Old 02-18-06, 10:54 PM   #10
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ugly stick's are amazing rods. I have an ugly stik lite and it works great. You can feel anything with it. The only problem is it can only cast so many spinnerbaits or cranks
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-06, 10:59 PM   #11
bass kicker

i havent had a problem tossing any thing with them
Old 02-18-06, 11:47 PM   #12
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

couple questions... why would this not be considered good for bass fishing, i dont understand and also why would it only be able to throw a certain amount of cranks or spinnerbaits? thanks.
Old 02-19-06, 01:45 AM   #13
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

when i cast some cranks and spinners it whips the rod way too much...may be just me though or the line..its a great rod. I use ugly stik for every weight but the lite was my first rod and did and still performs fine
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-06, 08:48 AM   #14
crankybait

fizzle- its a perfect rod for bass fishing. and i didnt say it only would throw a certain ammount. i said it works really good with them. it can take almost any lure under 1.25 oz, atleast the spnning rod does. i use 10 lb test with it, you can try 12
Old 02-19-06, 08:51 AM   #15
PowerBass

Cranky what do you intend to sell it for? How much?
Old 02-19-06, 08:53 AM   #16
crankybait

id sell it depending upon how much the person wants to buy it for. but id say somewhere in the 15-25 dollar range, im willing to haggle. id just try to get as much as i can, but i can be pretty reasonable since i gotta sell it FAST before the sirrusses sell out
Old 02-19-06, 10:19 AM   #17
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i've only been bass fishing 20+years,tourney fishing 10+years so maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.
seems most of the young 'uns here..12,13,14 yrs old know more about rods than i do.i won't say anymore on the subject of rods since you all know an ugly stick is the best rod ever made...and make sure you hold your spinning rod with the reel upside down...that works great also...
why ask a question about rods when what you are really looking for is a reason to argue that the ugly stick is great?
i never say good luck to a fisherman,but since you insist on using ugly sticks...good luck,cuz you will need it to catch a bass.
Old 02-19-06, 10:50 AM   #18
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom
i've only been bass fishing 20+years,tourney fishing 10+years so maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.
seems most of the young 'uns here..12,13,14 yrs old know more about rods than i do.i won't say anymore on the subject of rods since you all know an ugly stick is the best rod ever made...and make sure you hold your spinning rod with the reel upside down...that works great also...
why ask a question about rods when what you are really looking for is a reason to argue that the ugly stick is great?
i never say good luck to a fisherman,but since you insist on using ugly sticks...good luck,cuz you will need it to catch a bass.
I'm with Tom here, but you have to understand that different rods will perform differently There is a reason You can buy a $450 rod, and why it's better. The ugly stick can work, and it will probably never break. But as far as sensitivity and backbone, it's very poor compared to a lot of rods made today. If Bassintom gives you advice my reccomendation is to listen. He aint always right, but he will out fish you 95% of the time.

Lizards
Old 02-19-06, 11:04 AM   #19
crankybait

ok, 1, you know much more than the young people here. and most of the young people know a lot. i could possibly be the worst fisherman here. but i do know a bit about selling stuff. and by saying ugly stiks are junk i wont sell it. who uses their reel upside down anyways? the ugly stik aint great. read my posts on njba. other people argued to me the power of an ugly stik. lizards, im with ya. the ugly stik sensitivity aint for me. and im not taking advice, im trying to makea sale
Old 02-19-06, 12:28 PM   #20
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

well first off i dont think ill never be doing any serious bass fishing. I only go fishing about 1-2 times a week, 3 maybe. I live in ohio and the lake selection is not good and the fish really arent either. If i ever do get really serious ill probably buy a better rod. Im only 16 and i got into fishing late last summer so i know very little about fishing supplies, whouldnt even know what to do if some1 told me to buy a lightening rod. And ill say right now i do not want to buy a used pole and i did not make this thread to hear a bunch of sale perks trying to get me to buy it. Thanks for the offer but im fine with spending a little extra for a new one. For now, i think i want to stick the an ugly stik bc of how cheap it is and its durability. Im only 16 so ill have plenty of other time to go out and get me that better rod that will suit me better.

Last edited by fizzle fro; 02-19-06 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 12:57 PM   #21
crankybait

calm down dude. im only 13 lol. um i got into fishing last summer too. all you gotta do is spend like hours reading posts, asking questions, and finding articles. youd be surprised how much you can learn. and hey, an ugly sik is an ugly stik used or not
Old 02-19-06, 01:22 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
well first off i dont think ill never be doing any serious bass fishing. I only go fishing about 1-2 times a week, 3 maybe.
That's a lot of time on the water-I'd say that is pretty serious.

The point Tom is making is that you can get better equipment for the same price. Take his advice or don't-your choice. I'm with Lizards-I'd listen to him-I sure do.

For the record, if I was choosing between the 2 for an all-around rod I go with the Lightnin' Rod. Nothing against the Ugly Stick, but the Lightnin' Rod is a better rod.
Old 02-19-06, 02:09 PM   #23
fizzle fro
BassFishin.Com Member

well who makes the lighting rod, never heard of it or anything so i can check it out. Thanks.
Old 02-19-06, 02:13 PM   #24
Rebbasser

Berkley-WalMart carries them. I'd get a 6-6 MH action-a good all around rod.
Old 02-19-06, 02:25 PM   #25
JB

What it usually boils down to is that someone new to the sport can talk smack and sound reasonable, however that often gets "thrown out the window" once on the water and all of a sudden having to reason things out to adapt to the changing day of bass fishing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.